mtbr member

HEY Hecklers!! Main pivot question

Just got the old 5th coil rebuild and custom styled from Hippietech. Jerry's a very cool guy to deal with, and once the bike's back together I'll comment on the results of his work, but I'm confident he did me right.
    Anyway, while removing the shock, it seemed obvious to replace bushings. Its been suggested to me that before I put the shock back on, I should replace the main pivot too, since its in a downtime mode right now and I've got the second stringer set up for winter riding. Thing is, it seems nice and smooth, never loosens up, and looks perfect. I know its a good idea to stay one step ahead of problems, but it doesn't really seem necessary. Any thoughts?
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Just got the old 5th coil rebuild and custom styled from Hippietech. Jerry's a very cool guy to deal with, and once the bike's back together I'll comment on the results of his work, but I'm confident he did me right.
    Anyway, while removing the shock, it seemed obvious to replace bushings. Its been suggested to me that before I put the shock back on, I should replace the main pivot too, since its in a downtime mode right now and I've got the second stringer set up for winter riding. Thing is, it seems nice and smooth, never loosens up, and looks perfect. I know its a good idea to stay one step ahead of problems, but it doesn't really seem necessary. Any thoughts?

I don't think you're avoiding much time/hassle by replacing the main pivot at the same time. The Heck is pretty easy to assemble/disassemble. While it may be a good idea if you want to be on the safe side, it may not be neccessary. I think the main pivot/bearings have a much higher endurance life than the shock bushings.

I replaced the bushings for my Float RL on my frame recently, but left the main pivot alone..

mtbr member

Float RL

Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE
    I don't think you're avoiding much time/hassle by replacing the main pivot at the same time. The Heck is pretty easy to assemble/disassemble. While it may be a good idea if you want to be on the safe side, it may not be neccessary. I think the main pivot/bearings have a much higher endurance life than the shock bushings.

I replaced the bushings for my Float RL on my frame recently, but left the main pivot alone..
    I have one on my other bike, a Slayer. How's it feel on the Heckler? I'm a little heavy (220 lbs) and sometimes the sag feels too low, especially in winter, which is part of the reason I'm trying to get the Heckler back in action. Do you like it? What fork do you run with it?
    Last edited by 02Slayer; 02-23-2006 at 12:35 PM.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    I'd leave the pivot bearings until they need doing as it's a real quick job on a Heckler.

mtbr member

If it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    It can't be fixed... I've been running my pivot bearings for two years now (in all weather conditions) and they're still tight. I'd say wait until you need to do it. But have the "pro pack" pivot supplies ready in your shop for the day the work needs to be done. I think it's only $25.