Live Life, Ride a Bike!

Help me revamp my 03 Heckler

Since I was told SC doesnt really go by year models, I have a Heckler that I bought late 03.This is my dilema, I want to lighten it up and go back to more of an AM trailbike. This is my current build and would love your reccomendations to lighten her back up and be more trailworthy. Also if you guys could help me out with the shock length eye to eye so when I get a new shock.

AtomLab DHR's with 20mm Hadley in front and CK in the rear
    5th element coil
    Sherman Firefly
    Truvativ cranks with a E13 DRS guide
    RF diabolus stem
    all XT
    Avid Mechs 185 F/R
    Easton ML carbon riser
    Thomson Post
    WTB double black diamond saddle, not sure the model but it has 2 BD's on the nose.

Thanks in advance guys
    Last edited by UnitedWeRide; 08-27-2008 at 04:16 AM.

mtbr member
    the eye to eye should be around 7.875, by either 2" stroke, or 2.25"........2.25 obviously yields more travel....everything else looks good...i mean you could prob save some weight in those wheels, by going to some dt ex5.1 or something like that, or even going to an air shock over the coil, but i dont know why you'd want to, b/c coil owns air all day long.....

Creepy tooth fairy

I just went through this...

Well, the wheels would be yr best bet to drop some weight. I had a similar set-up as you and switched to DT 340 enduro trail wheels and have been pretty impressed. I miss the rattlesnake sound of my Hadley hub, but the weight difference is noticable. I would also say you can lose a little weight on the shock by going to a DHX coil 5.0 which also is superior in performance. Definitely get the 2.25" stroke as the bike just feels better with the extra travel. Skip the air shock. You could go to a lighter stem too ie. a Thomson or Raceface Atlas. That is really heavy seat too that you could swap for a another WTB model that is similar in shape but weighs about half of that. The Firefly is a reasonable weight fork, but you could do a Rock Shox Pike or Lyrik (my choice) for better performance. Lastly, if you are in love with the chainguide so be it, but I never really found it to be all that necessary with a 2 ring/bashguard set-up and a medium cage derailleur. I went through all of these questions when I pulled my components off my Heckler to build up my Nomad. I ended up doing wheels handlebar/stem and the saddle and I am quite pleased.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY
    Well, the wheels would be yr best bet to drop some weight. I had a similar set-up as you and switched to DT 340 enduro trail wheels and have been pretty impressed. I miss the rattlesnake sound of my Hadley hub, but the weight difference is noticable. I would also say you can lose a little weight on the shock by going to a DHX coil 5.0 which also is superior in performance. Definitely get the 2.25" stroke as the bike just feels better with the extra travel. Skip the air shock. You could go to a lighter stem too ie. a Thomson or Raceface Atlas. That is really heavy seat too that you could swap for a another WTB model that is similar in shape but weighs about half of that. The Firefly is a reasonable weight fork, but you could do a Rock Shox Pike or Lyrik (my choice) for better performance. Lastly, if you are in love with the chainguide so be it, but I never really found it to be all that necessary with a 2 ring/bashguard set-up and a medium cage derailleur. I went through all of these questions when I pulled my components off my Heckler to build up my Nomad. I ended up doing wheels handlebar/stem and the saddle and I am quite pleased.
    Ditto everything HB says. The 5th coil, especially with steel spring, is a huge pig. Changing from a steel to ti spring is about half a pound by itself, and IF you went to air shock it would be over a pound difference.... but then you're on air instead of coil. If you're mostly trail riding, air (with good platform) is fine.

Getting a lighter stem and saddle will help, but wheels are where you'll notice it the most. I have a 31.5# heckler and it feels as easy uphill compared to my friend's 30.5# mojo who has much heavier wheels (i have dt 5.1's on hope2, he has mavic 823's on kings... same tires).

mtbr member
    I have WTB Speed Disc wheels, XT drivetrain and Revelation 426 forks on my Heckler and it weighs in at around 28lbs.

I'm the opposite though as I want to convert to a dual ring DRS set up and go a bit beefier...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dunno what strength spring you need, but the santa cruz website has 275lb TI heckler springs on clearance for 99$. I think that's about 200 grams right there.

I just put a joplin R seatpost on my 03 heckler and loving it. Not exactly a weight savings though.