emtb.pl

Help me prepare to invasion-09Nomad build

Ok, I've decided to make a separate thread out of it.
    I just recently ordered the Nomad2 in Jalapeno Ano. After some tough thinking decided to go XL and short stem. It will arrive in early January so plenty of time to consider options.
    I weigh between 200-210 w/o gear and ride aggressive trail to light FR
    I ride to the spot and like climbing (comming from pure XC racing years back)
    I currently ride an XL LT2 and am hoping to keep it and rebuild light but we'll see - money is always an issue.
    I plan to move most stuff from my LT2 and build it like this:

XL Nomad Jalapeno
    CCDB (built as we speak, will be running in myLT2 until Jan) with steel and than ti when I know which one
    36TalasRC2 '08 (want coil and 1.5" but with travel adjust to fit the 650B wheel)
    King hubs (rear HD with FunBolts) laced to ZTR355 650B front and ZTR Flow back, straight spokes, both running tubeless with strips
    King 1.5 Nothreadset
    King BB
    JoplinR
    WTB pureV
    Thomson 70mm0deg
    Syntace Vector 12deg backsweep
    Ergon GE1 grips
    Fat Albert 2.4 rear NeoMoto2.3 front
    XTR shadow rear der, XTR front der
    XT cranks
    Rohloff chain
    Hope Mono M4 203&183, braided hose

Any thoughts or ideas? Esp in terms of fork.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why not run Van 36RC2? And also coil in the back. On a bike like nomad, coil forks feels good.

Man I envy you....New BLT2, and then within 1 yr, new Nomad2...

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Consider the Mavic SX wheels as they are blowing out the '08 models at very good prices.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Why not run Van 36RC2? And also coil in the back. On a bike like nomad, coil forks feels good.
    Hey, CCDB definietly IS a coil shock:P And I do wish to run a coil fork as well, I just need the travel adjustment which the 36van unfortunately lacks. As i stated in the core post:P
    As for two bikes in one year, I was on the LT1 and thinking of a Nomad in winter 07. When LT2 came out, I knew I couldn't resist and poeple were saying it will be not much less bike than the Nomad. And I do love the bike. But still, I always wanted a Nomad. But when you own the revised VPP BLT2, you just know, the original Nomad will not be as good as you know it should. And then SC makes the new Nomad:P
    I am buying the new frame on terms that allow me to save 40% (22% vat and 19%income tax), so the price of frame is not sth to be worried about. It's the stuff you need to build it with that worries me. $700 for a CCDB is something worth mentioning:P

Got A Lust for Life...
    Why does the new Nomad need a CCDB? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the main benefit of the CCDB is the adjustability with regard to compression/platform? The Nomad, like the LT2 doesn't need a platform. Why weigh it down with a coil if it doesn't need it? I am asking not to argue, but to seek knowledge. It seems very unnecessary.

I would choose a shock that has two things....a spring and rebound.

And Krolik...aren't some I9s appropriate for that bike...say in green?
    I am immune to your disdain.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Why does the new Nomad need a CCDB? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the main benefit of the CCDB is the adjustability with regard to compression/platform? The Nomad, like the LT2 doesn't need a platform. Why weigh it down with a coil if it doesn't need it? I am asking not to argue, but to seek knowledge. It seems very unnecessary.

I would choose a shock that has two things....a spring and rebound.

And Krolik...aren't some I9s appropriate for that bike...say in green?
    Well I never thought of CCDB as a platform shock to be honest. I want its linear stroak and I want to tune it each and every way possible and see what in the rear I really like and just couldn't achieve before with any frame/shock combo. Plus I am quite heavy and tend to be aggressive. We'll see. If I'm dissappointed, there's always ebay but i doubt it.
    As for i9s, beeing a king user for three hubsets now, I invested in the hub tool and am doing some servicing for friends and non-friends here in Poland and you will not see me on other brand hubs. Plus I want that contrast of jalapeno/mango all over the bike. Plus i have a ready set of wheels now so see no reason to build another. Always loved the i9 looks tho:P copper being favourite - discontinued I heared - even better:P

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    Well I never thought of CCDB as a platform shock to be honest. I want its linear stroak and I want to tune it each and every way possible and see what in the rear I really like and just couldn't achieve before with any frame/shock combo. Plus I am quite heavy and tend to be aggressive. We'll see. If I'm dissappointed, there's always ebay but i doubt it.
    As for i9s, beeing a king user for three hubsets now, I invested in the hub tool and am doing some servicing for friends and non-friends here in Poland and you will not see me on other brand hubs. Plus I want that contrast of jalapeno/mango all over the bike. Plus i have a ready set of wheels now so see no reason to build another. Always loved the i9 looks tho:P copper being favourite - discontinued I heared - even better:P

Gotcha! Jalapeno and mango...nice.
    I am immune to your disdain.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    And I do wish to run a coil fork as well, I just need the travel adjustment which the 36van unfortunately lacks.
    Rockshox Lyrik U-Turn is a coil fork with travel adjust.

Sounds like it will be a nice lookin build. Just curiously, when you say 'straight spokes' do you mean straight pull spokes? Cos I wasn't aware CK made any straight pull compatible hubs.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Rockshox Lyrik U-Turn is a coil fork with travel adjust.

Sounds like it will be a nice lookin build. Just curiously, when you say 'straight spokes' do you mean straight pull spokes? Cos I wasn't aware CK made any straight pull compatible hubs.
    Yeah but there's so many issues reported on the lyrik my friend has a 08 2step and it's broke (2step) and has play from day one. Otherwise I wouldn't think a second.

By straight I mean they are consistent in diameter - forgive my english:P