mtbr member

help me find my VP-Free "clunk"

my new free has 2 days of DH on it....everything is brand new, no used parts.

I noticed a "clunk" sound when pedaling slowly in the driveway today. It was on the downstroke, and it does'nt happen all the time. in fact, I tried to make it happen frequently, but it seems hit or miss.

Here's what I can tell you:
    it sounds as if it is coming from the cranks/BB area
    Everything is tight...all pivots, Gravity cranks & bearings, pedals, shock mount bolts, Chain guide roller....

Is there a systematic approach to isolating the clunk?
    My LBS heard it, but could not figure it out either.

Heres a photo just in case it springs some thoughts.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My name is Mud
    Mine had what appeared to be a bad bushing clunk. Ended up being that shock mounting bolts are supposed to be torqued at 120 in lbs.

Just a thought, I was very surprised at how tight SC wanted these.

mtbr member

shock mount

Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    Mine had what appeared to be a bad bushing clunk. Ended up being that shock mounting bolts are supposed to be torqued at 120 in lbs.

Just a thought, I was very surprised at how tight SC wanted these.

so your shock mount bolts were not tight enough? I know mine are pretty tight (considering I am checking every bolt now).
    I'm going to pull mine out and inspect them, then retighten.
    thanks for the comments.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike; doesn't really look like a clunker just kidding, really. I hope it's just something simple like a loose bolt or a bushing; did you have them use Neversize on your pivots and fittings; it seems to make a difference? The Fox DHX Air and Coil have been known to make clunking noises-especially if the shop cycled the shock without enough air. Back off on the pre-load and see if you still hear the clunk. good luck, I'm sure it's probably somehting simple.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Make sure the lower cog on the rear derailleur isn't riding up on the side of the chain, then clicking when it falls back down. This can happen if it's not adjust perfectly.

STINKY TOFU
    I had the same thing on my teocali it turned out to be the bb cup. I double checked by pulling on the cranks laterally. There was alot of play in it as the cranks would rock back and fourth. I just had the place where I bought it tighten it up and all was good.

mtbr member

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    I had the same thing on my teocali it turned out to be the bb cup. I double checked by pulling on the cranks laterally. There was alot of play in it as the cranks would rock back and fourth. I just had the place where I bought it tighten it up and all was good.
    this was my initial thought as the clunk is coming from this area.
    However, there is no play at all when grabbing the cranks...super stiff.

I'm going to investigate the chain line idea and shock bolts tonight. I know the mechanic said the chain line was tricky to get right....but I must admit, not a single dropped chain yet and perfect shifting.

Grease/anti sieze was used by the LBS where needed. All pivots were left alone from the factory. The shop did not remove them at all.

thanks again for the ideas....

Some Assembly Required
    1st bike I owned from a bike shop had a pop every time the right pedal came to the top. Me being a newbie at the time I took the bike back & had them go over it. They told me it was ready the next day, I go by and ask "what was it"? & the owner of the shop says "I don't know, I couldn't get it to do it". I rolled the bike outside & pedaled it across the parking lot. 1st pedal stroke, the right pedal goes "pop". I got home and got on the net and found the answer on Sheldon Browns site & eventually made my way to MTBR. It was a loose pedal. I never went back to that shop & he's closed now. That made me learn all I could about a bike. I still support my LBS all that I can, but I've learned to work on my bike myself as much as I can.

I don't think it's your pedal though, you don't have any. HA!!! j/k.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

Clunk

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    1st bike I owned from a bike shop had a pop every time the right pedal came to the top. Me being a newbie at the time I took the bike back & had them go over it. They told me it was ready the next day, I go by and ask "what was it"? & the owner of the shop says "I don't know, I couldn't get it to do it". I rolled the bike outside & pedaled it across the parking lot. 1st pedal stroke, the right pedal goes "pop". I got home and got on the net and found the answer on Sheldon Browns site & eventually made my way to MTBR. It was a loose pedal. I never went back to that shop & he's closed now. That made me learn all I could about a bike. I still support my LBS all that I can, but I've learned to work on my bike myself as much as I can.

I don't think it's your pedal though, you don't have any. HA!!! j/k.
    I'm in the same boat!
    I have learned more and more in the attempt to avoid having to bring my bike in everytime something goes wrong.
    Some shops just don't cater to DH & FR bikes (mine being one of them). I guess I can't blame them...they make their cash on hybrids and XC bikes.

I thought pedal too...as the downstroke created the noise. But they are tight.

This kind of cr@p always seems to happen to me. New ride...still makes noise.
    My friends ride once a year...bike are SILENT!

mtbr member

lower pivot???

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Nice looking bike; doesn't really look like a clunker just kidding, really. I hope it's just something simple like a loose bolt or a bushing; did you have them use Neversize on your pivots and fittings; it seems to make a difference? The Fox DHX Air and Coil have been known to make clunking noises-especially if the shop cycled the shock without enough air. Back off on the pre-load and see if you still hear the clunk. good luck, I'm sure it's probably somehting simple.
    Just did some searching, and it appears that the lower pivot on this frame is notorious for creaking.

Do you think it is possible after 2 days of dry DH it is acting up?
    I'm guessing not since it is not a constant "squeak"
    would a dry pivot assembly "clunk?"

sorry for the meaningless dribble...but $5,000+ and 2 rides should not result in so much stress.....

PULL
    if you own a torque wrench give everything a double checking.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Just did some searching, and it appears that the lower pivot on this frame is notorious for creaking.

Do you think it is possible after 2 days of dry DH it is acting up?
    I'm guessing not since it is not a constant "squeak"
    would a dry pivot assembly "clunk?"

sorry for the meaningless dribble...but $5,000+ and 2 rides should not result in so much stress.....
    I'm thinkin' bb or link that may need some lube. Some times you just get "one of them bikes" that has a squeak, pop or in your case a clunk that needs some attention. I agree that for that much coin you should have a perfect bike, but sometimes we still have to tweak our new rides to dial them in. Take the time and go through the most obvious culprits & you'll eventually find it, & at the very least it'll help you get accquainted w/yer new ride. Hey let us know what it is when you run it down. Good luck.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

clunk

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    I'm thinkin' bb or link that may need some lube. Some times you just get "one of them bikes" that has a squeak, pop or in your case a clunk that needs some attention. I agree that for that much coin you should have a perfect bike, but sometimes we still have to tweak our new rides to dial them in. Take the time and go through the most obvious culprits & you'll eventually find it, & at the very least it'll help you get accquainted w/yer new ride. Hey let us know what it is when you run it down. Good luck.

thanks for the input...
    I'll post a followup if I find anything.
    Meanwhile, I'll be using it this coming weekend as it seems structurally sound.

mtbr member

New question here. vp free "clunk" update

thanks for the input...
    I'll post a followup if I find anything.
    Meanwhile, I'll be using it this coming weekend as it seems structurally sound.

So I removed the shock mount bolts and they were fine.
    I removed the lower pivot partially and re-greased it.

The clunk remains.....

For those of you with newer cranks using exterior bearings....
    If the crank arms and pinch bolts are tight (and there is zero play)...is it possible that the BB is still loose?

Everything seems so tight, yet the clunk still appears to be coming from the BB/crank area.

thanks again.

Some Assembly Required
    So I removed the shock mount bolts and they were fine.
    I removed the lower pivot partially and re-greased it.

The clunk remains.....

For those of you with newer cranks using exterior bearings....
    If the crank arms and pinch bolts are tight (and there is zero play)...is it possible that the BB is still loose?

Everything seems so tight, yet the clunk still appears to be coming from the BB/crank area.

thanks again.
    Yes it is possible for the bb bearings to be loose. I'd czech the bb & make sure its tight. If it is, I'd try a different set of pedals just to eliminate that possiblity. Could be a bad pedal or bb. Could it be the shock, also make sure the headset is tight. Noises may resonate down through the frame and seem as though they're originating from somewhere they aren't. Czech your seat clamp...awww, Shoot Fire Man, tear that thing down and rebuild it!!! j/k You're just gonna hafta go through it one area at a time. You'll figure it out sooner or later.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I had a "clunk" on my VP-Free. Turned out that the lower link needed to be replaced. The axle holes "ovalized" over time.

One method to determine that was to lift up on back of the saddle. If you feel "play", replace the link.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't believe nobody mentioned this yet

it's the infamous DHX-C clunk - you can send it back to Fox and they can fix it

mine had it to, I never bothered with sending to Fox, and my Cane Creek doesn't have one....
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member

DHX Clunk??

Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Can't believe nobody mentioned this yet

it's the infamous DHX-C clunk - you can send it back to Fox and they can fix it

mine had it to, I never bothered with sending to Fox, and my Cane Creek doesn't have one....
    I have never heard of the DHX clunk...
    Do you know what causes it? Is it safe to ride?

I have a DHX on my Prophet, and rode one on my Gemini for 2 years and I have never heard them clunk.

I'm all ears though...let me know what to expect...
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have never heard of the DHX clunk...
    Do you know what causes it? Is it safe to ride?

I have a DHX on my Prophet, and rode one on my Gemini for 2 years and I have never heard them clunk.

I'm all ears though...let me know what to expect...
    thanks.
    Last year it was a pretty common complaint, I had thought Fox took care of it - it is completely safe to ride - doesn't even cause any performance problems - just seems to clunk in it's first bit of travel - do a parking lot test and bounce it quite a bit - you might be able to tell that it is in fact coming from the DHX

like I said, until I upgraded to my Cane Creek Double Barrel I had a clunking DHX - and rode it a ton and liked it (I just never felt like being without my VP Free for long enough to fix it) - I was going to send the DHX to Push for a service (and upgrading) - but hadn't done it yet - and now never will 'cause the CCDB rules my world...

Others can chime in - but this would be my mostly likely suspect for a clunk...I can't recall what the cause was, there was a specific issue (and a cure) so try and figure out for sure if it's the shock, and then I would have your LBS contact Fox to get it taken care of - unless you just want to jump on the Push bandwagon - people say the Push'ed DHX coil is right up there with an Avy or CCDB....
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    people say the Push'ed DHX coil is right up there with an Avy or CCDB....
    Yep, can't speak about th' Avy, but a PUSH'd DHX is right there w/a CCDB. I've ridden both on my VPFree and you won't be disappointed w/either shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

"The Clunk" might come from the VPP lower link, or from a faulty DHX5C

I'm dealing with two " Klunk" problems now:
    I belive the "Clunk" sound that freeriderB is describing is coming from the small VPP link just behind the BB. I had the same sound from there, and a mechanic solved this by opening the 4 bearings and greasing them. It solved it (for now...)
    He told me he knows the problem from other SC VPP bikes. It happens because the bearings inside that plate "grind" a bit on the 4 holes of that link plate.
    The FOX DHX C is a problem that I still have.
    Check out this link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/dhx-propedal-stiction-popping-sound-anyone-else-61888-5.html#post512506

I can feel that clunk very well when I turn on the ProPedal on my DHX5 C (mounted on a SC Nomad).
    Still trying to solve that one, I'll be happy to hear some advise...

mtbr member
    Best Advise, replace the DHX 5.0 C with an Avy DHS; you will not have the to deal with the clunk again. In addition, if you go with the Avy, you'll have a much better ride; problem solved

There's lots of threads written on the Fox clunker-I mean DHX; once a clunker, always a clunker. Not really, most everyone I know with similar clunking problems, either sends them to Fox or replaces the shock. Good luck, looks like you're only one clunk away from a clunk-free ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0