mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Help me choose a thru axle fork for my Heckler :-)

OK...here's the dealio...

I'm currently riding an '03 heckler with a '03 fox talas rlc fork. I weigh about 200lbs and I ride my bike pretty hard. I don't do huge hucks, but I air it out about head high now and then and I land hard sometimes too ;-) I have a 6" disc up front but I want to step up to a 8". I mainly ride single track in the redwoods in Santa Cruz. I guess I'm an all-mountain rider but I'm not afraid to do longer XC rides or harder DH stuff. I'm pretty strong and conditioned so I don't mind climbing with a heavier bike.

Right now I've got a new 20mm thru axle wheel assembly and a 8" set-up that are itchin' to get used. I'm starting to look at new forks but I'm not up to speed on what I should look at. I don't care about lock-out or adjustable travel that much. I definitely want to stay single crown. I've read a lot abot the Fox 36 and it seems pretty sweet but the $'s are pretty big. I'm not a weight freak either. I want something that's super durable, low maintenance and compatible with my new wheel and 8" brake. If I could keep it in the $400 range that would be cool, but I'm wiling to splurge if I have too. I like travel but I don't want it to be too out of proportion to the rear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Pike seems to be right up your alley. I dont have a Pike but I had one on my Reign and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pike it !

I've got a Pike for about a year and a half now. Zero problems with it. It's not as nearly as $$$ as the Talas 36 , and due to it's maxle it's really easy to remove the front wheel if needed.
    It's height also fits the Heckler like a glove IMO.
    Also, it has a platform lockout with a blowoff valve, very nice to have if you like climbing while standing.

mtbr member
    I noticed there's three different Pikes for '06 (Pike 409, 426 & 454). What's the main difference between them? The reviews didn't note the differences.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Versatility

I like my set up 2006 Marzocchi Z1 light, it has Eta for climbing (lowers the fork and front end for climbing and leaves 30mm of travel) and has TAS which changes travel from 130-150 and anywhere in between, the ultimate in versatility. Set it a 130 for tight xc singletrack riding or go 150 for hairy technical descends. It is ultra plush. The best Marzocchi I have ever own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantdude
    I noticed there's three different Pikes for '06 (Pike 409, 426 & 454). What's the main difference between them? The reviews didn't note the differences.

454 is like the 426 but has an upgrade : hollow crown & aluminum steerer.
    409 does not have the external floodgate knob.
    I got the "race" version of last year, which is like the 426 .

29er wannabe

Get the Pike

I've been riding my Heckler with a 2005 Pike team for a year . For the money there is no equal.
    Zero problems, uber stiff, great tracking,maxle and great price !
    You may need the extra heavy springs for your weight if you go coil vs. the air.

Gary