mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Help Me Build My Bike - 2008 Heckler Frame

Hello Fellow MTBR's and Santa Cruz Lovers,

I just purchased a 2008 Santa Cruz Heckler frame and will start buliding the bike up. From all my research I should be quite satisfied with the end results. However I could use some help with parts. My plan is to use high end parts on this build to make it my dream bike (within reason). I am not too worried about a budget, however there is a limit on some parts. For example, I am not spending $1500 on a front fork but I can manage $600 - $700. Same idea with the other components.

I realize the budget thing may be kind of vague but I could really use some help being educated on what the community would recommend as far as components. A listing of the main components would be fine. My goal is to go light (weight) and durable. My riding style is simple and on-road for now just to get into shape, however I would like the bike built to be able to handle off-road in the future. If there is any additional info that you need please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

wyatt2112

mtbr member
    I would build it up with some King wheels, a Rock Shox Totem fork, and XT/XTR drivetrain. That should be a good start.

mtbr member
    Another thing, don't mail order all the stuff. Support your local bike shop.

mtbr member
    ok dont listen to anything that bigb73 said...(i hope you picked up on his sarchasm....)

for a fork, i'd go with a fox 36, either float or vanilla (air or coil)......you can find them used for cheap....there's a 36 vanilla on ebay right now for 400 buy it now.....that's a hell of a good price....speedgoat has RS pikes for in your price range too, brand new.......for drivetrain i would go with xt stuff, or sram x9....for wheels, go on speedgoat.com and go to the wheelset section, and then choose to build your own set.....do like DT EX5.1's for the rims and hope pro 2's for the hubs, and you come out right at 600 bucks....a lot cheaper than I9's or anything like that...hell you can even go with xt hubs and save a LOT of money.....over the hope's....for brakes, shimano XT all the way...i've run shimano hydros and NEVER had an issue in like 2 years....and i bought them used....check ebay for all this stuff......not that i have anything against BUYING stuff from the LBS, but dont pay them to install it....do it yourself, and the satisfaction is far greater, plus you learn you bike inside and out.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Fork go with a Pike, and Thomson stem and post, Full XT wheels, brakes, shifters the lot.... and some fast rolling tyres for the road, maybe Kenda small block 8's :-)

Underweight Rider
    If yer fine with about usd4k, i'm sure you'll be able to build a sub 30lbs bike wit new parts. I'm on the opposite end of that having spent usd4k and end up with a sub34lbs bike ;p

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=snobrder5]ok dont listen to anything that bigb73 said...(i hope you picked up on his sarchasm....)

With a name like snobrder, what would he know. You could try to do it yourself, but if you mess something up, it's your dime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of the info. This will really help out a lot. Please keep it coming and I will sift through all of the recommendations when I start purchasing. If I have further questions I will update here.

This is great! Thanks again.

Wyatt2112

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73
    With a name like snobrder, what would he know. You could try to do it yourself, but if you mess something up, it's your dime.
    ok first, learn to use the message board so you can quote correctly.....

second, you're jackass advice was exactly what he didn't want....you're the kinda guy that reads exactly what the OP is looking for, but then gives the OPPOSITE advice, just to get noticed.....the totem is A) out of his budget, and B) 180mm of travel which is WAY too much for a heckler, and also is out of warranty range...so wyatt2112, if you wanna take bigb73's advice and put on too long of a fork, then go for it, but if you BREAK SOMETHING, "it's your dime".....

oh, and just b/c you got duped into PAYING someone to work on your bike, don't go tell everyone that if they work on their own bike they're taking their life in their hands....i've never paid ANYONE to work on my bike EVER, and i've never had a problem....

mtbr member
    Wyatt,

I just put a Pike on my Heckler this summer and I am happy with it, and as far as wheels I upgraded my rear Mavic 321 to a DT 5.1 with Hope II rear hub and I am very happy with that I still have a long way to go before my bike is at 30 lbs its around 33'ish probably. But I pedal the S#!t out of it and have a grat time on the trail and it definitel does what I ask it to do. in the future I ll probably go with a hope hub in the front and a DT 5.1 wheel. I would like to upgrade my seat post next and maybe my stem.

Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    I guess I had my bikes mixed up. I was thinking the Heckler had 180mm of travel. I was thinking of the Bullit. I am man enuff to admit when I am wrong. But still go to your local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i go to the local bike shop to pick up the tools i need when i break stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think the new rock shox revelation is a really nice fork and a good price too. I would go for a build with XT cranks (cheapish but can take a beating) Formula k18 or 24, a set of DT rims (4.2 or 5.1) on hope hubs (as mentioned above) and for the rest you can choose as your budget permits after getting the big things out of the way. Try and spend some cash on a good cassette (again XT is fairly priced and of a good quality) and if budget permits an XTR rear mech and shifters.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

the best upgrade ever...

Crank brothers Joplin

Changed my life

Made my Heckler faster than ever.

My set up:

08 WHITE FRAME
    FOX RP23
    PIKE 454 AIR
    MAVIC 321 ON HOPE PRO 2 HUBS
    JUICY 7 BRAKES
    08 XT CRANK
    SRAM X9/X7

Mid Weight set up - I love my bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That is a nice build. I do like the new stylo crank though. It is the first crank I have used that can actually take a bit of beating and not bend ( for those that run 3 rings and chew up lots of trees ). I was also going to say definitely go with the sram. I always liked the shimano triggers but the shifting is not as reliable as sram. You won't be disapointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what kind of riding are you gonna be doing? aggressive AM? jumps drops rocks, with some climbs? more XC riding, with some climbs and descents here and there?

toss on a lyric 2 step or a used/07/08 36 talas rc2, some xt or SLX cranks, hope hubs to 321's, thomson elite post/stem, whatever pedals you happen to like (wellgo MG1's or syncros mental mags are good if you like flats, acids, times, and shimano DX's are good for clips). Easton carbon should do if you like the feel of carbon bars, otherwise theres plenty of other good options, x9 shifter/der with xt front der, or xt shadow full if thats your preference. Saddle is up to you, as are grips, but that should be a pretty savage build right there if you're being more aggressive. You can also consider a blackspire guide or e13DRS with a bash if you're hoping to run a bash. I recommend 24 or 26 for the granny, and 36-38 for the big. High rollers 2.35 are a pretty good tire option - they roll fast and grip well.

If you're going to run more XC and are a little less aggressive, something like a pike would work pretty well for the front end, and you can consider some lighter tires, cranks and drop some weight there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had both the Fox 36 Talas and the Pike 454 on my Heckler. IMOHO the Pike is a better choice for the Heckler. You may get a little more ground clearence with the Fox but I think the suspension of the Pike and Heckler work together better. Your LBS should have just got some smokin blowout deals on 08 Pikes from some of the big distibutors. Hopefully they could pass the savings onto you. My LBS just told me about it last week.

As far as wheels go. Spend as much as you can afford and go custom handbuilt. Pick a hub from Phil Wood, Chris King, DT, or Hope and they will last you a lifetime and you will have great support from the companies for any repairs. DT spokes are the norm and just about any bike shop will have a replacement if needed. Especially if they built them. DT 4.1 and 4.2 rims are pretty popular along with a slew of Mavic rims to choose from and are all safe bets. IMOHO go 36 hole instead of 32. They will be light and a lot stronger.

Finish it up with XT drivetrain with thomson components and the tire of your choice and you will have a sub 28lb Heckler that is super tough and a reliable bike. And a pretty smokin ride also.

Hey wait a minute, I just described my bike. Sorry my bad.

Underweight Rider
    If your building your heckler tough to take some bashing, i would suggest you get the dhx5 coil instead, it isnt a whole lot heavier than the rp23(not in weight weenie sense at least).
    I have the 36VanRC2 on my heckler and at no times do i feel the front getting light on steep ascents.....and you'll be happier with it during descent knowing well your bike can handle everything and its up to your skill to do the rest. Goodluck on your build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Good job!

Hello Everyone,

Wow! Thanks again for all of the feedback. I have sifted through all of the recommendations so far for the components for my build and have been able to decide which components that I am leaning towards so far. Below is a listing of what the game plan is for the components. Please feel free to add any additional comments or suggestions. On a side note, I would like to reach below that magical weight threshold of 30 lbs and from what I see in these postings that is attainable.

The List:

2008 Heckler Frame
    Bars: Azonic CF-1
    Stem: Easton Elite
    Headset: Chris King Titanium
    Grips: Ergon R2
    Brakes: Shimano Hydraulic Disc
    Seat Post: Thompson elite
    Shifters: SRAM X9, X0 Trigger or Shimano Rapidfire
    Saddle: “Something Light”
    Wheelset: DT EX5 5.1
    Hubs: Hope Pro 2
    Fork: RS Pike
    Tires: Michelin, Kenda
    Crankset: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy or Acid
    Chain: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Cassette: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Rear Derail: SRAM X9, X0 or Shimano XT, XTR
    Front Derail: SRAM X9, X0 or Shimano XT, XTR
    Rear Shock: DHX5

Again, any suggestions or recommendations welcome. Thanks again in advance.

Wyatt2112

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    just to update...i would have rec'd a XTR/DA chain beacuse I had no problems with it...... until yesterday when I snapped it (not changing gears or torquing it too much, nothing out of the ordinary, quite a surprise) so I may have to go back to the SRAM...a similar thing happened to a friend of mine too....other than that looks like it'll be a kick @ss build!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt2112
    Hello Everyone,

Wow! Thanks again for all of the feedback. I have sifted through all of the recommendations so far for the components for my build and have been able to decide which components that I am leaning towards so far. Below is a listing of what the game plan is for the components. Please feel free to add any additional comments or suggestions. On a side note, I would like to reach below that magical weight threshold of 30 lbs and from what I see in these postings that is attainable.

The List:

2008 Heckler Frame
    Bars: Azonic CF-1
    Stem: Easton Elite
    Headset: Chris King Titanium
    Grips: Ergon R2
    Brakes: Shimano Hydraulic Disc
    Seat Post: Thompson elite
    Shifters: SRAM X9, X0 Trigger or Shimano Rapidfire
    Saddle: “Something Light”
    Wheelset: DT EX5 5.1
    Hubs: Hope Pro 2
    Fork: RS Pike
    Tires: Michelin, Kenda
    Crankset: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy or Acid
    Chain: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Cassette: SRAM or XT, XTR
    Rear Derail: SRAM X9, X0 or Shimano XT, XTR
    Front Derail: SRAM X9, X0 or Shimano XT, XTR
    Rear Shock: DHX5

Again, any suggestions or recommendations welcome. Thanks again in advance.

Wyatt2112
    Why the extra money for a King ti headset? They're not even lighter. Beautiful, yes, but...I'd rather have King hubs than the Pro IIs. You talking DHX 5 coil or air? I'm partial to XT in the drivetrain. For shits & giggles here's how I built up my latest Heckler, weighs around 31 lbs.

Grips ODI/Oury lockons

Bars/stem Syntace VRO with 7075 bar

Headset Cane Creek S-3 (my only bike without a King, but the headset came with the fork)

Fork 32 Van R (140mm travel, standard qr)

Shock DHX 5 Coil

Brake calipers Avid BB-7s (love 'em), 185 f/160 r

Brifters Shimano SL M750 Rapidfires (had a new pair lying around, use 'em on several bikes)

Seatpost Gravity Dropper (1 and 3 inch drop, bar mount)

Saddle WTB Pure V

Wheels Mavic 717 disc rims, DT disc hubs 240 front, 240s rear, db 2.0/1.8 DT spokes up front, Sapim in rear (had an old wheelset available, had to rebuild the rear with a new warranty hub after a few rides, though, thus the different build). I know they're not Kings but I only had a spare non-disc King wheelset lying around

Tires Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4

Crank Shimano XT M770 22/32/44

Pedals Ritchey V2s (bought a bunch when they were closing 'em out, still using 'em on all my bikes)

Front derailleur Shimano XT M770

Rear derailleur Shimano XT M770 (high normal)

Chain Shimano 7701

Thanks for listening...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Smile Update: Help Me Build My Bike - 2008 Heckler Frame

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone once again for all of their input with components for my build. I also wanted to give everyone an update of where I am with the build. I just purchased a Chris King Titanium headset for the bike. I know it weighs a bit more and costs a lot more than the standard headset but I think i got a good deal and at the end of the day I believe I will be happy with it. Plus this is going to look real cool against the silver frame of the bike. I'll try and get some pics up as I update this thread.

Thanks again and any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

wyatt2112