Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Help with imminent bike purchase.

I sold my large Blur LTC as of today and am in the market for something new asap. i'm going back and forth b/t wanting to try a 29er tallboy ltc and a blur tr. been having a hard time finding a great deal on one online and my local shop doesn't want to budge on any pricing. i'm not opposed to used but used carbon makes me a little nervous. looking for probably a base model kit on both. i did stumble upon this ad today on ebay. having trouble telling if its a scam or not. the price seems a little low but maybe i'm missing something. if any of you are trying to sell or know of a local shop that may be clearing out 2012 carbons, please let me know. I'm looking for an XL regardless of which model i end up with preferably in something black or darker. I appreciate the help. Please let me know what you think about this ad. Thanks!

Nearly New Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC | eBay
    Last edited by jpk1080; 04-15-2013 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Did a little research. It's most def. a scam unfortunately. As mentioned above, if anyone is selling or knows of a new tallboy or trc that may be for sale, please let me know. Located in NC. Thanks.

Warrior's Society
    Yes, it is a scam......has com up several different times.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks found the thread verifying that shortly after a friend sent me the link. The search continues....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Help with bike imminent bike purchase.

How would you know it's a scam? I've been looking for one too. Came across an enduro carbon on pinkbike but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger cause of it being used. Can't find my size xl anywhere else tho. Now I'm looking at new Bronson.

mtbr member
    it's a scam you'll see duplicate ads on CL for the same bike. Here's a good one.

Now their using the text and pics from the santa cruz ebay seller.

bogus seller
    Santa Cruz Tallboy Lt Carbon Complete Mountain Bike Fox Kashima L | eBay

legit seller
    Santa Cruz Tallboy Lt Carbon Complete Mountain Bike Fox Kashima L | eBay

f@wk these people
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
    I sold my large Blur LTC as of today and am in the market for something new asap. i'm going back and forth b/t wanting to try a 29er tallboy ltc and a blur tr. been having a hard time finding a great deal on one online and my local shop doesn't want to budge on any pricing. i'm not opposed to used but used carbon makes me a little nervous. looking for probably a base model kit on both. i did stumble upon this ad today on ebay. having trouble telling if its a scam or not. the price seems a little low but maybe i'm missing something. if any of you are trying to sell or know of a local shop that may be clearing out 2012 carbons, please let me know. I'm looking for an XL regardless of which model i end up with preferably in something black or darker. I appreciate the help. Please let me know what you think about this ad. Thanks!

Nearly New Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC | eBay

this one is not fake:
    2012 Santa Cruz TR C Carbon Fiber L Fox Kashima Ctd | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Help with bike imminent bike purchase.

You selling that?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1255205/

This is what I'm looking at. Has frame and bike on separate postings. Looks like an awesome bike but its been posted since January. Just confused why it hasn't sold. Hmmm. I'd rather buy used like this but hard to trust. Any experiences?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    How would you know it's a scam? I've been looking for one too. Came across an enduro carbon on pinkbike but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger cause of it being used. Can't find my size xl anywhere else tho. Now I'm looking at new Bronson.

The eBay scams are easy to spot.

In the description body, they will always show a "Buy it Now" price.....usually $1500/$2000/2500.

They will also show an email address in bold letters saying to intact them only by that email. They also want you to include the exact item # and title. They will also state that you must contact them before bidding.

They will also offer Free Shipping.

The scam listings usually get pulled own within a day.

If you ever question as to whether a listing is legit or not......do a Google search of the picture in the listing. If that picture comes up multiple times in other listings....it's fake.

Look at the link in the OPs post.....it is textbook scam.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

NMBP
    If only you could fit on an XXL: Santa Cruz Bicycles

Definitely not a scam!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah glad you guys helped me out in fully realizing that was a scam. I wish I could ride an XXL as well. The online companies as I've said don't really want to budge. The best i've done so far is about 4% off so I"m considering used or hoping maybe someone here knows of a shop or owns one that may be selling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    Also notice the EBay add says Buy it Now for $2500.oo but no buy it now button. Seller wants you to email him then he'll ask for a wire transfer.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Yeah glad you guys helped me out in fully realizing that was a scam. I wish I could ride an XXL as well. The online companies as I've said don't really want to budge. The best i've done so far is about 4% off so I"m considering used or hoping maybe someone here knows of a shop or owns one that may be selling.
    Give Kerry @ Bikebling a call. He had a few 2012s that he was trying to move.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks i'll give him a shot. i've heard people say that 29ers are sized a little different. at 6'3 preferring a slightly more compact cockpit, would i still be on an XL tallboy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i checked with kerry at bike bling. super nice guy but they are unable to ship santa cruz at the moment which sucks. i'm in nc and i believe they are in cali. i think i've kind of narrowed it down (kind of ) to either the blur tr, bronson or trying the 29er.

mtbr member
    i checked with kerry at bike bling. super nice guy but they are unable to ship santa cruz at the moment which sucks. i'm in nc and i believe they are in cali. i think i've kind of narrowed it down (kind of ) to either the blur tr, bronson or trying the 29er.
    Crap! forgot about that. I have family in SOCAL that was going to pick it up for me. I'f you're 6'3 then I'd be all over a XL 29er as SC frames run a little small and 29 wheels wont even come close to being too big for you. I'm 5'10 and throw around my 29 fairly easily.

One last shot:
    The guys at the path bike shop have always treated me well and have a couple XL SC 29er frames on clearance. Neil can build a complete bike or just ship a frame to ya'

Clearance Frames - The Path Bike Shop

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Appreciate the advise man. I will check with them right now. Should I tell Neil you referred me? If so you can PM. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I'm in nc too. I talked to him too n no luck. Told me to research intense n some other brand. I know there's a shop in carrboro called the clean machine that's getting a Bronson today. Lg. they're using it as a demo this week n selling it next week. They said everything is sold out til June. I'm prob gonna buy used now that I have to wait til June for Santa Cruz n specialized bikes I want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah june is a long time to wait to ride. i just haven't found a hell of a lot even in the used department and still a little leery about buying used carbon. i cant' believe all the 2012 completes sold out so quickly i guess i'm several months too late.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Talk to ride a bike in lincolton they are a sc dealer Tell them sdc sent you. I'm infamous

mtbr member
    Appreciate the advise man. I will check with them right now. . Thank you.
    NP, let me know what they have to say

mtbr member
    Edited because I obviously can't read. Go about your business.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thank you i'll try them tomorrow. any idea if they have any inventory?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I haven't had much luck finding something in the new department quite yet. IF anyone has anything in an XL carbon they're trying to sell used, please let me know. thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

We were on the same boat til I found a used bike. I'm finishing up buying it. Went with a carbon enduro XL. There is lots of new out there but you'll have to pay then wait. I don't have the patience. If I pay you $4k + I want my bike now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast