mtbr member

help choosing a bar for blur xc

hey

i've already ordered my blur. my shop has the frame in stock so they just need to order the build kit from sc. right now it comes with the Race Face Next low riser and Thomson Elite stem. I'm switching out the Elite for the X4. So i also need to switch out the Race Face Next. I believe Race Face makes the the Next bar in OS. But i think i want to get away from carbon bars. I know technology is getting better but i don't want to be thinking about catastrophic failures while i'm out riding. I have a heckler for more technical rides, so this bike will be for longer xc rides. so two questions:

whats the best aluminum low riser OS bar for xc?
    should i reconsider carbon bars?

thanks a bunch

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    hey

i've already ordered my blur. my shop has the frame in stock so they just need to order the build kit from sc. right now it comes with the Race Face Next low riser and Thomson Elite stem. I'm switching out the Elite for the X4. So i also need to switch out the Race Face Next. I believe Race Face makes the the Next bar in OS. But i think i want to get away from carbon bars. I know technology is getting better but i don't want to be thinking about catastrophic failures while i'm out riding. I have a heckler for more technical rides, so this bike will be for longer xc rides. so two questions:

whats the best aluminum low riser OS bar for xc?
    should i reconsider carbon bars?

thanks a bunch
    I think the next bars have aluminum underneath the carbon at the contact zones dont they? Anyhow, they are pretty heavy at 175g or more if I remember properly: I doubt if you could break that during trail rides. I was nervous about my carbon bars in the past, but I have one that is about 5 years old and just keeps going.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had the Easton EC70 low riser bars on my old bike and never had a problem with them, so I decided to go with a carbon bar for my new BLT. I'm going with the OS Race Face Next SL Riser. As far as I know, they use titanium to strengthen up the stem clamp area, they're light as hell, and they come with a lifetime warranty... good enough for me. If I was going to go with an aluminum bar, I'd check out that FSA XC-190 riser or the Race Face Deus Lowriser. They're both pretty light for AL riser bars.