mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Hello, question for Santa Cruz Bikers.

Hello,

I got my brand new bike(well to me) stolen last weekend that I had for about 3 weeks. I was a idiot and left the garage open and my 2008 mongoose canaan elite was taken. I am now looking to replace and am looking at this bike.

SANTA CRUZ bullit

He is telling me he will take no less than 1000. I just dont know enough about this bike to know if this is a good price or not. I know I got my last bike for a good price but I am unsure about this one. Thanks to anyone that can help. I am supposed to go check it out tomorrow.

more carbon=more awesome
    That Bullit is really old. Like twelve years old. I have a Bullit frame that old and it is a much lighter shade of green. That one looks like it has been repainted and I'd be highly suspicious that the blue swing arm is a replacement.

They were a brilliant bike in their day, but I think you'll buy something much much better for $1000 now.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'd pass. The thing is probably stolen. The guy doesn't even know what size it is. Plus those old parts ( front/rear shock, brakes ) might not last long. if they work well now that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds stolen to me. Especially if he doesn't know the size. Most importantly, SC sizes in S/M/L and not in inches, so he is not that familiar with the bike. Light enough to ride around all day? Seriously? The Bullit should be around 40 pounds+ all built up.

From the sounds of the description, he has no specifics, just a "this bike will be great for everything" attitude.

"Custom frame" my ass. Someone broke the rear swingarm and got a warranty replacement (or had to buy out of warranty and went for the cheap alternative.)

If you really want to pursue this, this is what you ask:

1. Where did you ride it. If he loves the bike he should be full of great trail stories.
    2. What size frame do you normally ride. If he hesitates for a micro second, he is not a rider. That is like asking your shirt size.
    3. Can you show me a picture of you riding it on a trail? I have probably 500 pictures of me on my blur, and normally I am the guy behind the camera. If he is the real owner he will have pics of him on it.
    4. Can you email me the serial number? Easy enough to call the local cops or SC to find out more.
    5. Make him explain the color scheme. If he is a thief he will have a story about how those are his 2 favorite colors. If he is a rider he will use the warranty replacement story. The odds are, since it is such an old bike, that the only swingarm someone could find was the wrong color.

If he hesitates on any of this, it is not his bike.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

AZ
    banned
    Post this in the AZ. forum, someone may be looking for that bike if it is stolen.

Creepy tooth fairy
    That thing is hotter than Georgia asphalt. Plus, a $1000?!? That fukstik is high. I would have a hard time paying even $500 for it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    That thing is hotter than Georgia asphalt. Plus, a $1000?!? That fukstik is high. I would have a hard time paying even $500 for it.
    What he said

mtbr member
    it seems a little fishy but i dont think its DEFINITELY stolen. he has a lot of details on all the components. but it is definitely overpriced. its prolly worth $3-500...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys. I dont want it if there is a chance its stolen as I just had my baby ripped off and its not fun! I am going to continue the search. If anyone knows of a decent bike out here in Phoenix for a grand please let me know! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sooner, he has detail on the components because he has the bike. The thing he doesn't have data on is the frame size, which is fishy. He doesn't know where to look and doesn't know what size he normally rides....?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What do you guys think of this one. Is it good enough to make any kind of offer on it at all? I am sure I am not gonna pay the 990 he is asking for so what would a good offer for both of us be?

santa cruz superlight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by relapse808 View Post
    What do you guys think of this one. Is it good enough to make any kind of offer on it at all? I am sure I am not gonna pay the 990 he is asking for so what would a good offer for both of us be?

santa cruz superlight
    i literally just sold my Superlight (same model) with a very similar mix of components as this for $350. that dude's high if he thinks hes gettin anything over $500 for that

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Poor grammar, light details, highlights the wrong things. This guy is not a serious rider. I'd tell him "I don't want to insult you with my offer, but after you get not takers, give me a call and we can talk."

$350 would be a good price.

mtbr member
    BITD you could buy custom SC frames with different coloured front and rear triangles just like that bullit has. You could even look at the different colour combos on the first ever bike builder on their website. It was all the rage for about 6 months IIRC.

Creepy tooth fairy

santa cruz superlight

That fork will need new guts; there is a high probability that frame will (or is about to) have a fatigue crack around the pivot...$350 at best. Also, ask for a hit of whatever the seller is smoking. Mail me some too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

That fork will need new guts; there is a high probability that frame will (or is about to) have a fatigue crack around the pivot...$350 at best. Also, ask for a hit of whatever the seller is smoking. Mail me some too.
    I could give you a hit of what ive been smoking, but if I didnt do that I might still have my original bike I love. I am still looking for the right bike for me but I really do want to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

edit:

I found one more santa cruz in my price range but it being a 03 model I am think 1200 is also probably crazy high for this bike as well?????

Santa Cruz Blur - md - Price reduced!

Warrior's Society
    I could give you a hit of what ive been smoking, but if I didnt do that I might still have my original bike I love. I am still looking for the right bike for me but I really do want to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

edit:

I found one more santa cruz in my price range but it being a 03 model I am think 1200 is also probably crazy high for this bike as well?????

Santa Cruz Blur - md - Price reduced!
    Stupid crazy high.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    That bike is a decade old, he is asking for 3 to 4 times what that bike is worth now
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry to ask here again but you guys are nice and responsive and no one in the specialized forum is answering. I am looking at this bike which the owner says he will do for 1300....what do you guys think about this deal?

2011 Specialized Epic Elite FSR Full suspension MTB mountain bike -OBO

Creepy tooth fairy
    How about this...What would you like to spend and how much wiggle room do you have? What kind of riding do you do and what kind of riding do want to do? How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I weigh about 170. The $1300 is my absolute max if not a bit beyond that. As far a riding I still put myself as novice. I started with a cannondale jekyll 500 i traded for and then the Mongoose Canaan Elite that got stolen a couple weeks ago. As far as the amount of riding its going to be at least 4-5 times a week as I love biking and its also my main source for cardio. Riding will be mostly cross country, but also on the sides of mountains with some easy type downhill stuff.