mtbr member

Heckler wheelset dilemma

I recently purchased a used Heckler frame and am building it up. Only thing left is the wheelset, which I would like to find good but cheap. I was looking at the Azonic Outlaws

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=8871

I know nothing about compatibility of frame/hub etc. so I need to know that the rear hub is the correct size for this frame. the SC website states that "Any standard 135x10mm hub will do the trick" , but I seem to understand that the Azonic rear hub is 12mm.

could anyone please shed some light on the subject? plus, any comments about this choice? any better suggestions in this price range?

Thanks
    passion never obtains forgiveness

You want the 135mm with qr option for your Heckler....just curious as to why these wheels?
    How big are you? What kind of riding do you do?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just finished building my Heckler about a month ago. At first in the interest of saving $$, I put Azonic Outlaws, but they were just straight up too heavy for the riding I do (trail riding w/big climbs, mini drops/jumps (1'-2') max. The Outlaws definitely felt like they could take some serious abuse though. I ended up switching out for Roval Traversee's which are significantly lighter AM wheels, but are definitely more on the XC side of AM than FR. Performance wise they have been superb, but I am getting the front wheel warranteed already because of a anomalous knocking sound that me nor my LBS can figure out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    You want the 135mm with qr option for your Heckler....just curious as to why these wheels?
    How big are you? What kind of riding do you do?
    i'm 165 pds and do not really ride any downhill, more on the xc/am side. I need the qr because I have a 2006 marzocchi all mountain 1 laying around and I want to use it rather than spend more money.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erictw83
    I just finished building my Heckler about a month ago. At first in the interest of saving $$, I put Azonic Outlaws, but they were just straight up too heavy for the riding I do (trail riding w/big climbs, mini drops/jumps (1'-2') max. The Outlaws definitely felt like they could take some serious abuse though. I ended up switching out for Roval Traversee's which are significantly lighter AM wheels, but are definitely more on the XC side of AM than FR. Performance wise they have been superb, but I am getting the front wheel warranteed already because of a anomalous knocking sound that me nor my LBS can figure out.
    i would say my riding is more or less similar. i'll definitely take what you say into consideration.

do you know of any mavic wheels in a similar price range that would do the trick?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    my laserdisc trails have been a welcome change on my heckles. I had her built up with transition revolutions first, cause they were cheap and strong. The loss of weight switching wheels is totally noticable in how the bike accelerates. The are great.
    fyi
    Hunter

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I spent $500 on Fulcrum Red Metal 5's for my Blur LT and absolutely love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you want to save $$, you could go with the mavic crossride disc ~200 $ for the set. I used those on my previous bike, a hardtail, and they held up fine for over a year of similar riding. Never needed truing. They are considerably lighter (~500 grams) than the Outlaws as well. The step up from those are the crosstrails for ~450 $.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Crossrides if you want a cheap Mavic , pretty tough and light for the money and can take a fare bit of abuse, fine for xc and small drops on the trail, I had a pair on my Kona Hoss and spent 4 hours on a skills day learning to jump , max height was 3' but I did some pretty sketchy landings as you do when learning and they where fine I'm 200lb

Underweight Rider
    Spinergy Xyclone Disc enduros - that my next wheelset on my 08 Heckler.

Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor
    i'm 165 pds and do not really ride any downhill, more on the xc/am side. I need the qr because I have a 2006 marzocchi all mountain 1 laying around and I want to use it rather than spend more money.

thanks
    Then that first wheelset you were thinking about is way overkill. Looking at something in a similar price range at Chain Reaction, they have custom built wheels at about the same price using Hope Pro II hubs (a better hub IMO than will come on many branded wheelsets from Mavic, WTB, etc). http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599

You get a choice of colors on the hubs, you can choose a variety of rims (although many are an upcharge over the base price, like the Mavic 717discs which are a great light rim) and spokes (suggest you go for the 2.0/1.8 double butted option) and you get a hand-built wheel. I'm assuming they do a decent job of this, but am not in the UK so don't know, you could probably look around for some reviews.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The possibilities are endless. IMO $209 is a budget wheelset. There are plenty to be had at that price point so look around and take your pick. Mavic, DT and Stans are solid rim choices IMO and Hope, Woodman, King, WTB all make good solid hubs. I ride a Stans 355/Hope Pro II wheelset that weighs 1600 grams and have held up fine. I also have a Woodman/Mavic 819 wheelset I love. They are heavier and probably stronger than the Stans/Hope set. I run both Stans tubeless on regular Kenda Nevegals. Find the right combo and pull the trigger on the ones that fit your budget. Generally speaking the lighter your wheelset the lighter your wallet. Conversely lighter more expensive wheels tend to be stronger than cheaper heavier wheels but not stronger than expensive heavier wheels. Wheels are funny like that. With that said, I have seen cheap wheels last a long time and expensive wheels blow up in no time. Wheels are funny like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Namrek
    The possibilities are endless. IMO $209 is a budget wheelset. There are plenty to be had at that price point so look around and take your pick. Mavic, DT and Stans are solid rim choices IMO and Hope, Woodman, King, WTB all make good solid hubs. I ride a Stans 355/Hope Pro II wheelset that weighs 1600 grams and have held up fine. I also have a Woodman/Mavic 819 wheelset I love. They are heavier and probably stronger than the Stans/Hope set. I run both Stans tubeless on regular Kenda Nevegals. Find the right combo and pull the trigger on the ones that fit your budget. Generally speaking the lighter your wheelset the lighter your wallet. Conversely lighter more expensive wheels tend to be stronger than cheaper heavier wheels but not stronger than expensive heavier wheels. Wheels are funny like that. With that said, I have seen cheap wheels last a long time and expensive wheels blow up in no time. Wheels are funny like that.
    +1, hadn't considered the tubeless aspect...

FWIW 209 pounds is about 374 USD, so not really a budget wheelset. I had thought the OP was in the UK but looks like he's in Rome, Italy...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I've been using Easton Havoc wheels tubeless with Stans for AM riding. After a couple of years with good luck, ranging everything from XC to jumps/drops. I weigh 200#.
    They can be found on Fleabay pretty cheap~
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member

crossrides

thanks guys

I ended up buying the mavic crossride disc wheelset. I got a good deal (160 euros, which is cheap for italy). I figure that sooner or later I'll upgrade the fork to a thru-axle and then maybe spend some more on the wheels. for now I think I'll be ok as I get used to the bike.

grazie