I am lost, I'm no guide

Heckler wheel sets?

What are you guys running on your hecklers? I'm looking to upgrade, and am leaing towards Mavic XM 719's and CK ISO Hubs. Nothing's etched in stone though, and w/ all the combinations out there, I'm curious to know what your'e running and how happy you are w/ the setup?
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Don't own a Heckler but of course the King is always a good choice. Hadleys are another one to be considered and some folks prefer to Kings for various reasons (eg, Engagment, less drag).

Here is a post that may be worth checking out

Hub/Wheel Opinions

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    What are you guys running on your hecklers? I'm looking to upgrade, and am leaing towards Mavic XM 719's and CK ISO Hubs. Nothing's etched in stone though, and w/ all the combinations out there, I'm curious to know what your'e running and how happy you are w/ the setup?
    I think hub choices are not very bike specific unless you are looking for something extra stout. CK is nice on any bike.

I went with xm321 rims and I'm glad I did. The Heckler made me want to do naughty things, and the xm321's made it OK. I'm not much of a brand whore, so I would probably have been happy with many other rims of similar width and beef. I think they are the perfect match for the Heckler in that they will handle things that the Heckler likes to do. I'm not sure if the 719's would have held up as well, but your riding may vary from mine.

FWIW, I still have the same wheelset on my Saber, now and I used a Hope (Bulb?) 20mm front hub, and a Hugi 240 Disc hub on the back. The Hugi was a leftover from my xc days, and I was a little hesitant to use it with thsi build, but it has held up fine.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Im building an all mtn wheelsets with mavic 819 tubeless, with a zoke 20mm up front and a shimano XT in the rear. this will work awesome with my new pike yet still be pretty tough. Im told the 719/819 is stronger than most people think. i have a DH bike for when i go nasty but im lookn to shed atleast a pound over my current heckler wheelset (sun SUV) which is overkill on 90% of trail riding iif you weigh over 200Lbs maybe get something alittle beefeir

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Don't own a Heckler but of course the King is always a good choice. Hadleys are another one to be considered and some folks prefer to Kings for various reasons (eg, Engagment, less drag).

Here is a post that may be worth checking out

Hub/Wheel Opinions
    I never coment on avitars, but that is just brilliant!

Baba Booey!

Cane Creek WAM discs

I can't comment on Mavics or Kings, but I've been running Cane Creek WAM discs for about 6 months and the things are as true as the day I bought them. I don't do any drops, but I have done some moderate DH with them. I have to point out that I weigh in at about 230 with my gear on and these are the first wheels I've run where I can't detect any flex what so ever. I think I paid about 350 on sale at the Nashbar site, and while I think that this model is discontinued, I don't think it would hurt to investigate the Creek a little further....

wheels

I'm building a Nomad, so it would be the same wheeelset as a Heckler.

DT EX 5.1D rims
    King Front TA 24mm hub (Maverick)
    Hadley Rear hub.

now if I had the money I would buy another king rear hub just for the bling and the fast engaugement, but I already had the Hadley. Plus the Hadley is a excellent product.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

I am lost, I'm no guide

excuse me for being naive on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    Im building an all mtn wheelsets with mavic 819 tubeless, with a zoke 20mm up front and a shimano XT in the rear. this will work awesome with my new pike yet still be pretty tough. Im told the 719/819 is stronger than most people think. i have a DH bike for when i go nasty but im lookn to shed atleast a pound over my current heckler wheelset (sun SUV) which is overkill on 90% of trail riding iif you weigh over 200Lbs maybe get something alittle beefeir
    what are the pro's/con's of putting a non-specific disc rim on a disc bike? I looked at the XM719's, but someone tried to talk me out of it because it's not a disc specific bike?
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

MRC
    Australien
    Jan 2004
    what are the pro's/con's of putting a non-specific disc rim on a disc bike? I looked at the XM719's, but someone tried to talk me out of it because it's not a disc specific bike?
    Non-disc specific rims are often a bit stronger than disc specific due to the larger sidewalls etc. I've had XM719's on my Heckler for 18months and they haven't even strayed from true or dented yet. Recommended.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    In theory, a disc specific rim of the same weight and width as a non-disc specific rim will be stronger. This is because on a non-disc specific rim there needs to be a little more material going into the walls for the rim brake, rather than having the material concentrated in the optimum places for overall strength.

In reality, however, I hear there is little difference in strength. I just like the way the disc specific ones look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    just get your CK hubs before the price goes up again...

I am lost, I'm no guide

thanks for all the replys; I appreciate it

I ended up buying the XM719's laced to CK's w/ Wheelsmith 14g spokes. I'm stoked. Should have em in a week! Thanks again...