7am Backcountry ;- )

Heckler >> Tallboy2, longtravel or standard?

Afternoon guys,

Thinking about a bike upgrade from my 2007 Heckler.

The tallboy ticks so many boxes and can be built up around the same weight as the Heckler, but with VPP and 29" wheels. I'm more an XC rider than DH, and prefer natural trails than smoothed out trail centres.

Coming from the Heckler what would you pick 100mm, or LT 130mm?

I'm 6'2" with approx 34" inseam, would XL be the way to go? I have the seat pretty high on my L Heckler.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Capoz - I'm 5'11" and on a large TB LTc. I'm using 780mm bars and a 35mm stem. I can comfortably use a 70mm stem (which came stock on my bike). Sounds like XL could be the way to go. I'm riding all natural stuff, from XC to all mountain, and find that the 135 is great. If I were on JUST xc, I could see wanting the 100mm perhaps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Let me preface, I have never ridden the TB2 but can comment that it will be quite a bit different from the heckler, obviously much more XC oriented, while the LT is more in between bikes. It would be a better little bit if everything ride. That said, I'll let those with experience with the TB2 say more. I can with certainty say you should go with a XL. You have a ton of seat post showing. I'm the same height/ inseam with long arms, and XL in SC fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Coming from a Heckler I would think you would look at the LT first. The LT is a great all around trail bike and fine for all day explorations. The TB-2 would be a bit less rear wheel travel and a bit firmer ride . They both would work well as a trail bike but the LT a bit more forgiving for longer rides IMO.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks guys i've decided its an XL frame I want, just so baffled by Santa Cruz's new range, too much choice!

Thanks for the tallboy thoughts
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Coming from a Heckler I would think you would look at the LT first. The LT is a great all around trail bike and fine for all day explorations. The TB-2 would be a bit less rear wheel travel and a bit firmer ride . They both would work well as a trail bike but the LT a bit more forgiving for longer rides IMO.
    I've been on my LTc for a year now. I think at your size, it would be an ideal bike.