Thread: Heckler stem

mtbr member

Heckler stem

I'm riding a medium heckler with a 120 or 130mm stem and I'm thinking about swaping it with something shorter. Basically I rode a Kona CoilAir that had a shorty stem on it and loved how easy it was to unweight the front end. I'm already feeling a bit cramped so I'm afraid shorter may not be better. Any thoughts?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by zaefod
    I'm riding a medium heckler with a 120 or 130mm stem and I'm thinking about swaping it with something shorter. Basically I rode a Kona CoilAir that had a shorty stem on it and loved how easy it was to unweight the front end. I'm already feeling a bit cramped so I'm afraid shorter may not be better. Any thoughts?

If the Heckler feels cramped with a 120/130mm stem.......then you bought the WRONG size bike. You should have bought the next size up and put a shorter stem on it.

mtnbikej

Ride Instigator
    I ride a Large Heckler and run a 110mm (I'm 5' 10")

A friend of mine is the same height and likes the 100mm on his large frame.

Like the poster above says, if you're running a 120-130mm on a Heckler and feel cramped, you probably need a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Probably right. I'm 5'9" on a medium. Seemed like I was either going to be at the top of the medium range or bottom of the large so I opted for the medium. I could move the seat back a touch is needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm 5'9.5" , have ridden a friends Medium heckler with a 100 stem and it felt OK. I could do well also with a 90mm stem. The Heckler IS a tight bike, I guess you get used to that. I think you could be OK with a 100 mm stem. I tried the Large Heckler with a 90mm stem and it felt big for technical riding, so I think for your height you got the right size frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm 5'9" on a medium heckler. The large is way too big imo. I have a 120mm stem and it feels a little stretched.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I guess it also depends on body proportions & personal position prefrences as well as overall height. I got a few friends about 5'9-5'10, a few ride Mediums, a few ride Large. All of them feel they got the right size. Personally I too felt the L was a bit big, but on the other hand it was still shorter than my previous Medium bike (which was an Ellsworth Moment).

mtbr member
    The size difference between the medium and large Heckler is .75 of an inch in the top tube and standover height. That difference can be made up in stems, set back seat posts, and seat position... I spoke with SC about sizing before I ordered my Heckler, and the guy said he's not even sure why they make both sizes so close to each other.
    I'm 5'11" and have a large, but I can tell you that everyone I spoke to (probably 10 shops and SC themselves) would have told you to buy a medium if your 5'9". Sounds like you just like a larger cockpit... I'm with you.
    Last edited by Sway?; 03-19-2006 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' tall and ride a large Heckler with a 70mm stem. Mine's set up for freeride.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and try a slightly shorter stem and see how she feels.