Woodlot local

Heckler Spring Weight

I have a question for you guys n gals on Hecklers.

I just picked up a small Heckler frame that I plan on using as an lighter FR / all mountain bike. I am short (5'5") and have a husky build and weigh 175lbs. The bike came with a 275lb 2.25" stroke spring on the 5th Element shock. I know that this spring is too light and according to Santa Cruz I should be running a 300lb spring. However I have noticed browsing the boards that people are often running springs on their Hecklers that are heavier than what Santa Cruz recommends.

Sooooooooo. What spring weight would you recommend for me and why?

I ride ladders and skinnies and will be doing drops to trannie up to 6' and gaps up to 12'. I live near the infamous 'SHORE' and may even take the bike to Whistler for a day or two. I am not a hack but I am not the smoothest rider either.

BTW I have a '04 Z1FR 5" on the front of the bike.

Thanks in advance.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, unfortunately, I'm in the same boat, still waiting on the 300lb spring from progressive or sc. The small all come with the 275lb spring. so far so good, but to get around the recommended amount of sag, the spring is slightly pre compressed.

Let's see what other's say.

P.S. post photos, we like photos, here's mine:

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i would look for a 350 if you want to jump the bike. this should be a pretty balanced ride. Normally you add 50lbs to what ever SC tells ya about springs. that 350 should be perfect with maybe 1 turn of preload if any at all.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am 195lbs and ran a 350lbs steel spring and that was good on my MED Heckler. I upgraded to a Ti spring 300lbs but that was too soft. I am looking to trade. Maybe sell to a fellow SC rider. For the right price.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    WTB Old M755 brakes stuff.

USB Rep'n
    Nice ride! Im 5-9" and about 160# and recently switched from a 300# to a 350# spring. I think the 350 feels much better alhough Im still running fairly high air pressure and have the high threshold set reasonably high. I honestly think I could run the 375-400 if I wanted to. I have a 2" stroke 300 in the basement collecting dust. Id sell it dirt cheap if anyone wants/needs it. All in all, Id rather go heavier on the spring and adjust the rest via the options the 5th gives you.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Woodlot local
    I am going to pick up a 300LB spring from my LBS today and give it a try. It is only $30 and if she don't work I can get a heavier one.

Here is my ride...after a small dump of snow.