mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Heckler shock bushings- play in rear end

Hi I have a 2010 Heckler. I noticed the other day that my rear end has a bit of movement that I have never noticed before, just from simply picking up the back tire and wiggling it back and forth. Haven't been able to find much info so I thought some people in here may have had a similar issue. It appears the play is coming from the rear shock attachment point, does this mean that the bushings are worn out and need to be replaced? All the bolts are tightened properly. If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate it. Did you order new bushings and put them in yourself? Or have the lbs do it? I do basic maintenance on my bike but I'm not super good and taking stuff apart and putting it back together. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you have the DU bushings, they do wear out pretty quickly, so it could be this. But have you checked your rear hub? Side to side play in the rear wheel, it could be the hub. If you lift the bike up vertically by the top tube, and feel some play, then it's likely the shock bushings (if all your pivots are tight and you're sure it's not this). I am replacing mine every 6 months, although it's usually only the lower one which is the end that rotates. You need a tool to get the bush out, so if you don't have one either order one from the huy that advertsises here on MTBR, or take it to LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks expatrider. It doesn't seem to be the rear hub, I'm pretty sure it's the bushings. I'll have the lbs check them out. And what did you mean by DU bushings? I'm not familiar with that term.

mtbr member
    Those are common bushings - it's just the type of (PTFE) layer used on the inside. over time with movement it wears away, resulting in the play. If you have a Fox shock it's probably a DU.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep it's an rp23. Just called lbs and they said it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the info