mtbr member
    Dec 2006

heckler shock bolt clunking

hi i have an '06 heckler I bought new in April '06. Outstanding bike. The one problem which comes up occasionally is the shock mounts clunking. Seems like the bolts loosen up, and i tighten them to spec (120in/lbs.) and pretty soon they're loose again. Lately I've been having to overtorque the bolts for them to stay quiet, and yes, this is after I put in new hardware and bushings all around. Tomorrow I am going to try some loctite. It's a dhx coil shock, and I am a heavy rider at 210# including gear. I also was using a cane creek cloud nine air shock for more xc trails, with which the problem was much worse. I bought that shock used, though, so I have no idea how old it is and how worn are the eyelets; but the dhx coil is the same age as the frame.
    Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? will overtorquing the bolts cause any frame damage over time? I want this bike to last me a looong time, I love it.

Thanks.

Get Down Do you
    Don't over torque your bolts you are just going to exacerbate the problem. Take the bolts off then take a wire brush to them and clean off any residual loctite. Old loctite can and will give incorrect readings for torque since you can't get a smooth insertion of the bolt. Reapply loctite and torque to spec. You should be good to go from there.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

29er Geek
    It's also pretty common for the mount to ovalize (where the loose bolt was). In that case you need to fab some sort of insert.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't use the Fox three peice reducers on my Heckler (not enough surface bite) 2 peice aluminum only. I crank them down w/ a 3/8 drive ratchet - I am not a fan of torque wrenches and bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggsly
    Don't over torque your bolts you are just going to exacerbate the problem. Take the bolts off then take a wire brush to them and clean off any residual loctite. Old loctite can and will give incorrect readings for torque since you can't get a smooth insertion of the bolt. Reapply loctite and torque to spec. You should be good to go from there.
    There is no loctite residue on the bolts; they were just prepped with grease, and the threads were fairly clean. Maybe no loctite in the first place was part of the problem?
    the frame didn't come new with loctite on those bolts. Still, I am going to clean the bolts in degreaser, loctite 'em, and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I don't use the Fox three peice reducers on my Heckler (not enough surface bite) 2 peice aluminum only. I crank them down w/ a 3/8 drive ratchet - I am not a fan of torque wrenches and bikes.
    What 3 -piece reducers? When I order them from Fox, there are 2 pieces for each eyelet; unless you are considering the dw bushing as the third piece. What exactly do you use, and where do you get them?

Members who have read this thread: 0