mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Heckler pivot axle nut stripped

I just bought a used 6.1 heckler frame. I believe its the late 2009(December) version when they first released the 6.1 version frame without the pinch bolts.

Anyway, after I removed the first allen bolt I proceeded to try and loosen the locking collet head that is attached to the pivot axle. It stripped. I took it to the LBS to see if they could get it out with a removal tool with no luck. He applied a good amount pressure but said he felt uncomfortable doing more and didn't want to break anything.

How should I go about getting this thing out?

mtbr member
    If it were me, I'd sacrifice a slightly oversized allen socket, grind it down on each flat edge so it tapers down past the size you need. Hammer it in, break it loose. Just careful how much pressure you exert, but I can't image it needs a crazy amount of force, unless it's cross threaded and locked in there. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I actually ended up trying that yesterday with no luck. It just stripped it even more. That aluminum is so soft, and this thing is seized bad. I have not found one thing on the internet about this. The only thing close is SC directions on how to change the bearings but it is on an older frame with pinch bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I also tried knocking a flat head in which also didnt work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drowe303 View Post
    I also tried knocking a flat head in which also didnt work.
    Can you soak it overnight in some kind of degreaser that may help it work loose?

mtbr member
    Have you tried an Easy Out or screw extractor? Looks like a backwards drill bit that bites into the stripped bolt when turned counter clockwise.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The bike shop gave it a shot with an easy out. He applied some pretty decent force and it wouldn't break loose. He stopped however because he didn't want to damage anything further. After I tried using a flat head, it basically stripped the allen to the point where nothing is really going to grip it anymore.

I may be able to use a large easy out so it will grip the inside of the actual collet head walls that recede down to the allen head.

Or drill it out if there is a way.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Heckler pivot axle nut stripped

Just throwing this out there because it shouldn't be that tight maybe just maybe it has a left hand thread. Did you try that direction yet? So when the bolt is threaded in it won't be backing the nut out...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was thinking that could maybe be the case^, but havn't tried it full force. I was afraid to try it before to risk damaging it more. Ill give it a shot when I get home If I can find something to grip up.
    I have searched online hoping to find something about it. There should be some sort of direction on SC website as its pretty important. It's bad to just go into it guessing and possibly twisting it the wrong way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just found this. Someone seemed to have a similar problem with the blur. Should be relevant to the heckler..

"By stripping, I assume you are referring to rounding the internal hex of the pivot axle and not the internal threads on the frame or external threads on the pivot axle.

The pivot threads are installed with loc-tite, however would not cause this sort of problem. I suspect the split collet (see pic) is digging into your frame (pivot housing) . The fit between the collet and pivot housing is quite snug and probably one of the reasons they state to grease this area prior to assembly. If your internal hex is rounded you can probably get it out by using an "EZ" out - However, I'd suggest first seeing if you tighten it just a bit to release the bite the split collet (probably) has on the housing and then reverse the direction and unscrew it. Try and get a little oil around the head of the collet (however keep it away from you EZ out hole). You'll need a new pivot axle from SC.

You should be able to reinstall the wedge and screw and ride it until the new pivot axle arrives. It will also give you some time to get an EZ out...

Edited: One other problem comes to mind; If you haven't serviced these in a long time and they've seen water, the bearing races may be seized to the alloy pivot axle. If that is the case, you need to soak them down with penetrating fluid (e.g., Kroil Oil) and let them sit over night before trying to unscrew the axle."

mtbr member
    is this the same pivot hardware as what they used on the original (and current) LTc's? if so, am i crazy or does that piece not screw out..?? it doesnt on my original BLTc.... you just pull it straight out with a small hex wrench or try to push it out from the other side. but maybe that version of the Heckler is different.... i thought they standardized their hardware around this time though

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I emailed the tech support guys over at santa cruz and they said it should come loose with a lefty turn, and that this has happened before. He said if I can't get it loose, I could just drill it out and replace all the parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got the collet head free last night! I went to the store and picked up a set of screw extractors, used the largest one and went at it. Just when I thought I was about to shear the screw retractor in half from turning so hard, I heard a loud pop. I thought I broke something.. so I turned the screw retractor the opposite way to back it out and the collet head came with it.

I didn't know the collet doesn't actually screw onto anything. It is completely smooth and is only held in by the small allen bolt. I figured it had some sort of internal thread and screwed onto the pivot axle.

Pretty crazy it was that tight... if anyone else has the same problem post on here and ill throw some pics up to try and help.

mtbr member
    i thought that that was the case. ive had a couple times with my Blur where I had a real hard time pulling the collet out. i now grease the outside of em pretty good so that they come out more easily, but one or two usually give me a bit of trouble.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will for sure be applying some grease when I reinstall it!