Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heckler photo thread 2007

430K views 816 replies 293 participants last post by  Mr Crudley 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Heckler and i'd like to see some pictures of them to decide on the colour and spec...

#2 ·
2007 Heckler! Damn I want one!

Bringing the breaking Heckler news...

available spring 2007
Heckleriffic!
"Sweet and simple" are words that usually have some sort of double meaning when strung together. They damn with faint praise - "Sure is a sweet dog you got there. Shame it's so dang ugly..." "These directions are so simple, a monkey could understand them..." But in the case of the new Heckler, the third and final member of our single pivot revival, those words are perfect.

All the lovable traits of Hecklers past are retained, with some new tweaks added to make a good thing even better. The stout 6069 aluminum front triangle features advanced gussets reinforcing the headtube without adding boat anchor weight. The shaped downtube leaves enough space for any single crown fork to fit with room to spare. The rear swingarm now pivots on an optimally placed, 15mm diameter axle, rides on lifetime guaranteed bearings and coughs up 5.9-inches of travel. A new replaceable rear derailleur hanger sits independently of the rear dropout, and all the frame components can be disassembled or put back together with a few allen wrenches.

Light & durable advanced 6069 gussets
It's an all-season, all-terrain all-rounder. It's a tough duty trailbike that can be ridden hard and put away wet and always be ready for more. It's sweet, like alpine singletrack on the first warm day after the snow has melted. It's simple, like a real sharp ax. Sweet, simple, and proud of it.

Replaceable rear derailleur hanger

Plenty of tire clearance
# Burly 15mm main pivot, lifetime bearing guarantee!
# 5.9" rear travel, 6.4lb frame and shock weight (medium, Fox Float R shock)
# Clearance for 8" brake rotors
# Updated geometry designed around 140mm forks, able to take up to 170mm
# Super clean replaceable derailleur hanger
# Recessed, threaded shock mounts and tool friendly design
# Available in choice of five powdercoat, two anodized, and one polished finish

Production models expected to start shipping in April, Santa Cruz Bicycles will be accepting orders after January 15th.
15mm swingarm pivot !
Geometry Chart (measured in inches)
Size TT ST ST (angle) HT HT (angle) Wheel Base BB (height) CS (length)
Small 21.5 15 72 (deg.) 3.9 69 (deg.) 41.7 13.5 17.1
Medium 22.5 17 72 (deg.) 4.3 69 (deg.) 42.7 13.5 17.1
Large 23.5 19 72 (deg.) 5.1 69 (deg.) 43.7 13.5 17.1
Extra Large 24.5 20.5 72 (deg.) 5.9 69 (deg.) 44.8 13.5 17.1
Powder Coat paint, with Float R shock - $1199 (usmsrp) Ano, with Float R shock - $1350 (usmsrp)
# Powder Coat Colors black
# white
# orange
# gangreen
# liquid blue
# Upgrade Color Options Polished
# Anodized Black
# Anodized Silver

#4 ·
Two sweet rides....

I apologize for the crappy picture (disposable camera), but here's a pic of mine and a friends new hecklers at the trailhead of one of our favorite local rides. Mine is the Liquid Blue and his is the white. Pretty much the same bikes, except mine is all air sprung and his is all coil-- its kind of fun getting to compare different versions of the same bike on the same rides!

#5 ·
Some updated pics of my Heckler. Just Fitted a 400lb spring to the dhx, new fox 36 van rc2 forks and a set of hope pro2 hubs laced onto dt swiss ex5.1d rims.

So far very impressed with the overall feel and ride! Hitting some real trails at the weekend to see how it handels!!

#6 ·
My new toy

Already given it its own thread, but I'm soo proud of it. Anyway, its probably best of here anyway.
Large Heckler in white powdercoat with DHX 5.0 coil shock, 350lb spring.
Z1 Light with ETA forks.
Hope Pro II front hub and Shimano Deore rear hub
LX front mech and XT rear mech
LX Shifters
LX cranks
LX hydro disc brakes, 203mm front rotor, 160mm rear and EBC redstuff pads.
DMR V12 pedals
Blackspire lexan bash guard
Blackspire Stinger chain guide
Titec 50mm(approx) stem
Truvativ AM handlebars
Easton EA50 seatpost
WTB Pure saddle - kevlar cover version
Sun SOS rims (from '06 enduro elite)
Continental Vertical 2.3 tyres and Specialized 2.2 inner tubes
ODI lock-on grips
Gusset aheadlok

Currently weighs in about 32lb. Should be easy to get it 30lb if I throw some more money at it, but feeling kinda broke now. Still.....it was worth it.:D

#11 ·
My New Ride

It's pretty well finished, just waiting on a new seat and a Roco. This is my first FS ride, and I couldn't be happier with it. Just waiting for the snow to start melting up here in Ontario so I can really test it out.

#12 ·
Nice

A heckler on the sofa and a keg of beer on the back porch. It dudn't get any better than this.

storf said:
It's pretty well finished, just waiting on a new seat and a Roco. This is my first FS ride, and I couldn't be happier with it. Just waiting for the snow to start melting up here in Ontario so I can really test it out.

#13 ·
Here are a couple pics of my Heckler build using a mix of new and old parts I had. Eventually I want to upgrade the fork to a Revelation coil, but the Reba actually rides quite well. I am about 200lbs and mostly ride tight, twisty East coast singletrack and so far the bike is performing great.

2006 Heckler, medium gangreen w/Fox DHX 5.0 Air
fork: 05' Reba Race 115mm w/cane creek S3 +5mm headset (500mm a/c)
shifters/brakes: Shimano LX Dual Control, LX disc 180mm/f & 160mm/r rotors
drivetrain: LX cranks w/ Goldtooth bash, LX rapid rise mid-cage rear
cables: Alligator Super Fortress cables
wheels/tires: Mavic CrossLand UST, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 UST rear, Nevegal UST front
seatpost: Race Face Deus
bar/stem: Fuji 30mm O/S bar, Fuji 100mm 7deg stem
grips: Lizard Skin loc-ons
pedals: Shimano 540

#15 ·
psOption3 said:
nice heckler. how does that Fox rear shock feel on the rides?
To be honest I only have one street ride and one good trail ride on it so far, I am still experimenting with the setup and will admit my riding style is probably pretty tame compared to most people. I started with the Santa Cruz recommended settings for a 200lb rider and have only played with the rebound and propedal so far (felt better staying close to SC settings). First impression: It feels firm (in a good way) and rides high in its travel. It smoothed out the trail fine, and was using its travel, even though I did not really feel it moving (my previous bikes FSR suspension felt more active). This is not necessarily a negative, just getting use to the single pivot. I still need to experiment more with the settings and pressures, but I am confident I can get it setup fine. Sorry I can't give a better review at this time.

#18 ·
Here's my new (to me) medium orange Heckler. 32 lbs of goodness.

I replaced the old stickers with some 2007 model frame decals and it really help.

Hockey tape for the chainstay protector. I highly recommend this stuff if your tired of the boring ol' Lizard Skin option.

What the....?! Specialized bar and stem on an SC??? Blasphemy! Eh, it's good stuff and was priced right.....free. :thumbsup:

I think I will name her....Creamsicle. Yeah.

#21 ·
New bottle opener...

My dream bike is complete. Total weight ready to ride is 28.4 pounds. I'm in love.

size - large
color - anodized silver
shock - float RP23
brakes - avid juicy ultimate
shifters - XO
brake lever/shifter mount - avid matchmaker
rear derailleur - XO
front derailleur - XT
headset - chris king
wheelset - mavic crossmax ST
tires - continental vertical UST
seatpost - thomson for now (speedball on backorder)
crank - raceface deus
stem - raceface deus
handlebar - raceface deus
grips - lizard skin lock on
fork - 32 talas RLC
casette - sram 950
chain - sram 991
pedals - eggbeater SL
saddle - WTB pure v SLT

#23 ·
I assume this is one of the 2007 thread then. :) Here's my 2007 (not 2007.5), one of the very last size M's of the prev. gen.

Frame: 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler w/ Fox Float RP3
Fork: Rock Shox Revelation 426 Dual Air Pop-Loc
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 V6 & V7
Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25"
BB & cranks: Race Face Evolve XC
Rims: Mavic XM 321 Disc
Hubs: Shimano XT
Spokes: DT
Front derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT
Shifters: Shimano XT
Rear cassette: Shimano XT
Chain: Shimano HG-93
Headset: Race Face Deus XC
Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
Handlebar: Race Face Evolve XC
Grips: Lizard Skins Logo Lock-On
Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL Ti
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
Computer: VDO C4

#24 ·
For some reason this thread doesn't display correctly in Hybrid mode. It looks fine in Linear though. Working on it...

Edit 1: I've noticed that the attachments for the older posts were copied over for some reason. If the people with the old posts could repost the pics of their bikes that would be great.
Sorry about the mess up of this thread. It was caused by the thread getting to big for the database to handle. I think it is fixed now though.

Edit 2: Fixed now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.