Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Underweight Rider
    These are actually my 1st hydro aside from the BB7s, was plannin for XT hydro but they were out of stock(might get the XTs if this doesnt perform. Super easy to bleed(already cut to proper size and bleed once). Basically the SLX rotors are identical to the XTs cept for the spider.
    Weather havent permitted me to even break in the pads so will post again after they are properly broken in-hope they arent as 'grabby' as the juicy 7s i tested.
    Cranks are sweet-i had the choice between the 2008 Stylo and SLX at almost the same cost and went for the SLX instead.
    XT wheelsets - havent got the chance to really test them so will reserve comments until further riding. One thing though, the dish is off to the left a bit so i will need to bring them back to the LBS to tune(center) them.
    Last edited by AznRider; 08-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AznRider
    Wheelset : Shimano XT M-776
    What do you think of the XT wheelset?

Underweight Rider
    Finally got the chance to weight my bike and it came in a 'bit' porky at 15.12kg/33.33lbs. My guess is maybe the fork,wheelset and the slx stuffs is where the weight is.

mtbr member
    Finally got the chance to weight my bike and it came in a 'bit' porky at 15.12kg/33.33lbs. My guess is maybe the fork,wheelset and the slx stuffs is where the weight is.
    Fork and rear shock are heavy. Air is light...

Underweight Rider
    No fox service center within 800km radius(i'm not kidding), coil has proven to be more reliable(at least in my part of the world).

mtbr member
    Fox isn't the only option. I got a Cane Creek Cloud Nine and what it lacks in sophistication, it makes up in serviceability. They even provide you with an extra set of seals to start with. And the shock is light as a feather.

Underweight Rider
    Well, wish we can have so much choices compared to you guys in the States but being castaway on an island in the south china sea doesnt present us with much options.
    To give you an idea, one of the rider had to wait for 5 months to get a replacement for his curnutt shock....go figure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I truly like this bike and I'm seriously considering to buy me one.

Underweight Rider
    N I K E - Just Do It

mtbr member
    Hi all you lucky Heckler owners,
    I had a 2003 Heckler, size Medium, different builds: Pike, Z1Fr1 150mm, 66SL and so on.
    Loved it with the Pike, at 6ft with long legs, the Medium really was on the small side, seatpost extension was "just" enough with the 18" seatpost.

But the new Heckler has a changed geometry, I´d need a Large now for sure, because the ST is just 17" now.

I currently ride a Giant Reign X (Medium, really small), but am always thinking about a Heckler (I just love the simplicity and the quick handling).

But I don´t want to part with my 2008 Van RC2.

How does the new Heckler climb with a 160mm Van?
    Has anyone a picture (because it´s the picture thread) a large Heckler with a 160mm Fox 36?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    few random pics of the heckler i shot the other day...messing around with some old school 35mm color neg film.....and there's a random shot of our local iguana too....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I'm a new Heckler owner as of last week and am loving it! Here's my 2008 white Heckler, which I call Snowflake. It's a rAM build with the RP23 shock. Swapped out the seat for a Specialized Lithia, but all else is stock.

mtbr member
    All these bikes are pretty awesome! Im getting ancy waiting for my Heckler to get here. Should be built by latest Tuesday next week. WoooHooo!

mtbr member
    Whats the max travel for the shock and fork that the 07 frame is designed for?

3D guy
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    few random pics of the heckler i shot the other day...messing around with some old school 35mm color neg film.....and there's a random shot of our local iguana too....
    man I miss real film. I love taking digital shots (just shoot away) film looks so good. Nice shots.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

Underweight Rider
    Rear 150mm travel and max 160mm front fork(allow under warranty) 2007 - present Heckler frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here are some pics of the new Heckler!

Small-White
    R AM Kit w/Upgraded Shox F/R
    -Fox RP23
    -09 Fox Talas
    Juicy Fives
    X-7 Triggers
    X-9 Derailer
    Truvative Stylo Cranks
    Mag Xpedo Spike Pedals
    You get the point....

mtbr member
    PS. Snowflake weighs in at 34 pounds!

mtbr member
    Hi Consuela,
    any idea why snowflake is that heavy? Did you weigh her with the saddle bag on?

The build with a revelation etc. should be a lot lighter? or do you have DH tires on there?

I do not intend to be rude, but I am looking at building a Heckler and it should be a bit lighter?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Hi Znarf,

Yes, I expected Snowflake to be a bit lighter and was surprised when we weighed her the other day. I knew she wouldn't be light because she is an All Mountain build, not a cross country build.

I used the Bike Builder on the Santa Cruz website and that said she should come in at 31.98 lbs, so she is about 2 lbs over weight. hehe

I did take off the saddle bag when I weighed her. So, either our scale is off a little or the extra weight is in the wheels, like you suggest. Now, I also have the Shimano 545 pedals on there, which aren't light. Hmmmm.... let me check something.... Yes, okay, so the pair of pedals are a little over a lb according to Shimano website.

Okay, so the other pound is probably wheels, scale, and dirt.

I've spent all my bike budget for this season, so I'll just ride her as-is for now. Maybe later down the road I can get permission to spend some $$ on lighter wheels.

Cheers,
    Consuela

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is mine. 31.5 lbs of goodness with a 36 talas up front, Dhx coil rear, 2.4's an 7/8inch rotors!

(Click to play vid)
    Last edited by Gravitythief76; 09-20-2008 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member

Hope

WoooHooooo!

My 2009 XL Heck with X9AM kit

mtbr member
    How much does it weigh!

Great builds.

Kind of calms me down, about the weight thing.

I am looking at building a large white (or black, if white is not available) Heckler,
    with a Fox Rp23 shock
    -Fox 36 Talas RC2
    -Syntace bar/seatpost/stem (very light and super durable and strong)
    -Specialized Phenom SL seat
    -SLX crankset, shifter, rear derailleur, front derailleur
    -NC 17 flat pedals (380g a pair)
    -Avid Elixir R brakes
    -Schwalbe albert and nobby nic UST tires 2.25

I am unsure about the headset (good and reasanably light, but not TOO expensive)
    and the wheelset.

I am looking either at a Bontrager Rhythm comp wheelset (cheap, 2050g and really durable, bad thing is, they are grey)

or Stans flow rims, laced to XTs or some cheaper DT Swiss

or shell out the big bucks and get a Roval Traversee
    or the new Crossmax SX 2009

Those two last options are a bit over my comfortable budget, but the wheelset is what makes a bike feel quick.
    I am light (150lbs) and smooth on my stuff, I love technical trails, but I am in no way a HUCKER.

Any wheelset suggestions for me?

PS: I´ll post pictures as soon as I have my new bike, I had a white Heckler once, it was the funnest bike I ever had. I sold it, but in the end I am coming back

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My Heckler, idea was to get it as light as possible so it climbed well and was nimble on trails but still be able to free-ride on it, 6 ft drops etc I weight 205lbs, without it breaking!

So far its been solid!!

Frame » Santa Cruz Heckler Large
    Fork » Fox 36 Talas RC2
    Rear Shox >> Fox Float R Big Volume
    Rear Mech » SRAM XO
    Front Mech » Shimano XT
    Shifters » SRAM XO Carbon
    Brakes » Hope Mono M4 (Front) – Hope Mono Mini – (Rear) (205mm / 165mm Floating Rotors)
    Crankset & Rings » Middleburn RS7 (ISIS)
    Bottom Bracket >> Crank Brothers Cobalt (ISIS)
    Pedals >> DMR V12 Magnesium
    Handlebar » Easton EA70 Oversize 31.8mm Riser
    Grips >> ODI Rouge Lock On
    Stem » Easton Vice Freeride Oversize
    Headset » Chris King Threadless
    Seatpost » Easton EC70 Carbon
    Seat » WTB Rocket V SLT
    Front Hub » Hope Pro II
    Rear Hub » Hope Pro II
    Skewer (Rear) >> Hope QR
    Seat Post Clamp >> Hope
    Cassette » SRAM 11-32 PG990
    Chain >> SRAM Power Link
    Spokes » DT Swiss Super Comp
    Rims » DT Swiss X455 (Recently Changed to Syncros D28)
    Tires » Maxxis 2.35 Minion DHF Single Ply (Front 42a S/Tacky Rear 60a Maxxpro)

Weight >> 30 Lbs

Afan Heckler1 (Large).JPG
    Last edited by Crash Bang; 09-22-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Underweight Rider
    Your already building your bike wit premium parts, dont skimp on the headset - go for Chris Kings...no regrets.

mtbr member
    Yeah,
    I know the Chris King.

But over here in Germany, all US-premium brands are even MORE expensive - compared to our premium stuff.
    A Chris King is REALLY expensive over here,
    I could get 6 Fsa the Pig DH Pro headsets for one Chris King.

Pig is heavy, but the ones I had, held up fine.

A King would be super nice though

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    dude dont go chris king......i've got a $5 WTB momentum ST headset on my heckler, and it's run fine for over 2 years (cause it's been on 3 different bikes)......dont buy into the hype....you dont NEED a chris king........the best headset i'd ever buy would be a cane creek s3....but that's once this one wears out......when i bought my fox fork i got a FREE chris king headset.....i turned right around and sold it.....didn't do one thing for me....IT'S A HEADSET!!!! they all do the same thing, and you keep them greased and adjusted and they dont wear out...

Underweight Rider
    Diff strokes for diff folks
    when i'm done building a usd4k build, no point skimping on a usd110 headset ;p(but i DID skimp on the brakeset just bcoz they were out of stock on the XT -.-)

mtbr member

my new heckler 09

I dont know the weight only that its lighter than my last bike.
    Heckler lime green large
    dhx 5 coil
    mavic 721 laced to hope pro 2's
    king headset
    Azonic strip bar
    Marzo 55 ETA
    and straitline levers coming (in gold of course)

built it up saturday morning and took it to the local bike park on Sunday. It is a very different feeling when compared to my last to bikes (an 03 stinky and an 07 Coiler) lighter and doesn't feel like a tank that can just plow through stuff. But i was getting used to it by the end of the day. Probably just running the envy plate til I get a new front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus
    I dont know the weight only that its lighter than my last bike.
    Heckler lime green large
    dhx 5 coil
    mavic 721 laced to hope pro 2's
    king headset
    Azonic strip bar
    Marzo 55 ETA
    and straitline levers coming (in gold of course)

built it up saturday morning and took it to the local bike park on Sunday. It is a very different feeling when compared to my last to bikes (an 03 stinky and an 07 Coiler) lighter and doesn't feel like a tank that can just plow through stuff. But i was getting used to it by the end of the day. Probably just running the envy plate til I get a new front derailleur.
    wow that looks great, i love the lime green. I have a gangrene heckler, and i must say i like that color better

ill have to get some pics up here

mtbr member
    Turn your shock around, so you can adjust your settings MUCH easier.
    Cracked 2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Diff strokes for diff folks
    when i'm done building a usd4k build, no point skimping on a usd110 headset ;p(but i DID skimp on the brakeset just bcoz they were out of stock on the XT -.-)
    Trouble is that it may 110 USD to you, but to buy one here in the UK would cost 110GBP or to you 205-210 USD, I can get some other very good quality headsets for half the cost of the CK. It may the best headset you can buy, but I can't justify the cost of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    Turn your shock around, so you can adjust your settings MUCH easier.
    +1 on that.....i think it looks better too.....

Underweight Rider

diff rates

Quote Originally Posted by Pete-G
    Trouble is that it may 110 USD to you, but to buy one here in the UK would cost 110GBP or to you 205-210 USD, I can get some other very good quality headsets for half the cost of the CK. It may the best headset you can buy, but I can't justify the cost of it.
    Ah i see, yes different country rates sux. I might be able to get the headset cheaper here but other stuffs cost a lot more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    +1 on that.....i think it looks better too.....
    So I did turn the shock around and it does allow me to access teh setting much easier no that I doubted it would. Cant say that it does much for me visually but it is practical. I also installed the gold straitline levers, they were more copper looking but they still look awesome and feel great. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.

Underweight Rider
    And the dirt blends well with the frame color too

mtbr member
    NEW UPGRADE :

- FOX 36 FLOAT RC2 2008
    - HEADSET FSA ORBIT XL II
    - BACK DERAILLEUR XT SHADOW 2008
    - TRUTATIV HUSSELFELT 2008

mtbr member
    Great bike!!!!

The Heckler is just the most beautiful frame ever.

I am still deciding on my build.

Fixed:

Black pc Heckler size large with RP23 (ordered it last week, I don´t know what the most recent model is called)

Fox 36 Talas RC2 2009 ( )

Thomson ELite 410mm seatpost (arrived yesterday)

probably a SLX Shimano drivetrain, Syntace stem and bar

wheelset: I am torn between Stans Flow rims and XM819s, I am going to run tubeless anyway. Any experience with those two? Hubs are to be chosen...

Brakes: I wanted the new Elixirs, but in our shop 6 out of 10 new brakes feel strange, spongy, crunchy, make noises and the rotors are all but straight.

So now I am about to pull the trigger on some Formula the Ones, or the new Hope M4 (but delivery date for the hope is end of november/december, that´s a bummer)

Greetings Znarf

btw: the new powdercoat colors are actually not as nice as the old ones, anyone else share this oppinion?

Underweight Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    btw: the new powdercoat colors are actually not as nice as the old ones, anyone else share this oppinion?
    'My month old PC white is already flaking/peeling at the rear caliper mount,both rear shock eyelet mounts. Other than that i had the impression powdercoat was suppose to be a tougher coat resisting nicks and ding but it wasnt the case.....of well...later down the road i might just decide to stripe the paint off and leave it raw as it is.

mtbr member
    oh crap,
    I actually ment the colors, but if the powder coat itself is lousy, then that´s really bad.
    Santa Cruz once had a poor reputation for weak pc-jobs. I thought that that wasn´t true.
    Now I am really curious how my new Heckler will turn out

In the end, ride quality is more important than pc-quality...

Greetings Znarf

Underweight Rider
    Yep, i would ask for an anodised frame for my future builds.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    oh crap,
    I actually ment the colors, but if the powder coat itself is lousy, then that´s really bad.
    Santa Cruz once had a poor reputation for weak pc-jobs. I thought that that wasn´t true.
    Now I am really curious how my new Heckler will turn out

In the end, ride quality is more important than pc-quality...

Greetings Znarf
    I have a Chameleon, and let me tell you, their PC is really tough. Not a scratch, even undermeath the FD clamp.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Certainly doesn't appear to be a problem with the paint on either my VP-F or Heckler. I've not heard of any issues with it either. Now my friends Cove on the other hand.........

mtbr member
    That´s good, I didn´t intend to start a speculation about SC powdercoats.
    I had a 2003 Heckler, the PC-job was absolutely fine.
    No problems at all.

I had a Specialized SX Trail (babyblue) once, now that was a bad paint job.
    The paint chipped off in flakes (the size of corn flakes)

I always wondered if there are polished "new" Heckler frames available.
    I saw pictures of one somewhere, but the site doesn´t list them...

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Upgrade.

Syncros AM stem
    FunWorks white handlebar...

(Klick on the photo for higher size )

mtbr member

new fork

i got tired of getting 4 1/2 inches of travel out of my 6 inch fork so i bought a new one. First ride on it today after putting it on, I'm loving it. Feels so much better and i shaved around two lbs off my bike so now I'm at 33 lbs

mtbr member
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...0/DSC00029.jpg

Mine with polished rear and float front and back.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Znarf - I also do not like the new colors very much. I have the gangrene and it's great. I wish they offered a straight up 'brown' or the rootbeer ano color, but darker.

The only place the powercoat came off mine is the BB shell when the chain jumped and tore it off along with some metal. Damn night riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is my Heckler 2007 -

In DH configuration: Bash/chain guide/Maxxis tyres/Joplin seatpost/ Thomson 50/
    200mm disk

In clasic configuration : XTR/ Thomson 70mm + seatpost/ schawlbe tyres /180mm brakes

mtbr member
    Man,
    that´s a great Heckler.

I really like the silver anodizing. Never looked that good to me on the Santa Cruz website, but in "nature" it looks GREAT!

Nice build too!

Greetings Znarf

Underweight Rider
    MG3D nice build !, hows the DHX Air holding up during those DH runs? do you need to carry the pump on your trips? any issue with the air seals? thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Straight up,those pics sweet.That fork is so sexy,with the ano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=AznRider]MG3D nice build !, hows the DHX Air holding up during those DH runs? do you need to carry the pump on your trips? any issue with the air seals? thanks.[/QUOTE

I am using 2008 model
    No air leak problem with the DHX5air.

I use it as a good compromise for an usual practice and DH.
    the RP23 is not a good for the heckler because of the ratio and linearity of rear
    supension.

You can use all setup as bottom out and Boost valve presure to get a real sensitive
    shox and prevent to use all stoke on a small gap.
    But the best for DH useonly is the coil.

mtbr member
    My Jack-of-all-trades. Or Renaissance Bike if you will. Does a bit of everything. Had her for 2 and a half years now and soon as I get my hands on the new Hope Tech M4 brakes they are will be replacing my trusty (but old) Juicy 5's. I have a DHX 5 Coil shock I swap on when doing light DH or rougher terrain. Tips the scale at just over 14kg with the air can. The tires are ghetto tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This topic needs to be kicked so that everybody can enjoy these fantastic bikes again!!
    Realy want to get me one!!!

80% FLOW
    If anyone in NY, NJ or CT wants mine I really need the cash just shoot me a message

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    here's mine

Eating Hot Pockets
    nice.

mine (650b)

mtbr member
    nice heckler! How do you like those nobby nic's? Any good when its wet? I have a couple sets of mountain kings so far so good but looking for some more wet tracion they dont seem to like the water.

mtbr member
    that polished heck is siiiiccckk lovin it!

or is it powder

mtbr member
    New upgrade with a Crank Brother Joplin

Cracker
    xl 2008 liquid blue
    32mm talas rlc
    race face atlas crank 32 22 bash
    dhx 5 coil 550# spring
    185mm elixir brakes
    fsa cardon dh bars
    mavic crossride rims
    nevegal 2.35 front 2.1 rear
    x-9 shifters
    980cassette

mtbr member

me Heckler

All that's left to do is the white truvativ oct cranks only I'm stuck on the BB size for the Howitzer...

mtbr member

Mr. White

Check the new Truvativ Oct white cranks...
    King, Acids Thompson, Spank, Magura, Transition, Pure V, Marz AM1, Fox DHX x9, etc. Most of it white.

mtbr member

oh yeah...

Almost forgot to mention the Guitar Hero sticker to cover up that
    Spandex looking santa cruz guy...

SS Pusher Man

Here is mine..........

Built up a large in July......turned out to be too small for climbing.......sold it and bought a XL frame. Also ditched the '06 Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA for a '09 Float RC2.

Here ya go:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That my friend is one of the best looking Hecklers I have ever seen.

And a really cool looking picture also.

mtbr member

The fox forx makes it.

That fork makes your bike shine... I just don't have it left in the budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah thanks

I just wish they had made the TALAS in white.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71
    Yeah thanks

I just wish they had made the TALAS in white.

I didn't want adjustable travel....had it on the Z1 Light before the Fox, but never used it. Spent way too many years riding Bullits with Boxxers, Super T's and Shivers. Just got used to not having it.

mtbr member

I lied...

Actually I had the Float on there come to think of it when I first built it up, (After trying and dismissing a DUC right off)... But I didn't think the coil matched the air so well and I missed all the adjustability. So Wheelworld made it possible to get one of the Marz AM 1 SLs for cheap. And now the rest is history (or back on my Banshee).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

my beauty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71
    That my friend is one of the best looking Hecklers I have ever seen.

And a really cool looking picture also.
    ...Not sure if you are talking about my bike or mtnbikej's It looks like its under mine, but if you view in non-threaded it could be about that one. Either way, they are both nice bikes, just wondering if I can feel proud or not.

mtbr member

New Upgrades

Here is my bike after teh christmas upgrades I got. They include:
    Straitline pedals
    New stem
    new bash
    and a shadow xt rear mech
    Also have a 550 spring and a new set of cranks coming so I can put the hones back on the chameleon

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Built up a large in July......turned out to be too small for climbing.......sold it and bought a XL frame. Also ditched the '06 Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA for a '09 Float RC2.
    Hi there! That' s a beauty, really.

Please allow some questions: You switched to an XL sized frame: how tall are you? And: Don't you miss travel ajust? What's your riding style?

Ride on
    Claus.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MinorDamage
    Hi there! That' s a beauty, really.

Please allow some questions: You switched to an XL sized frame: how tall are you? And: Don't you miss travel ajust? What's your riding style?

Ride on
    Claus.

I am 6'........but I normally ride a 29er hardtail, so I am used to a long top tube(24.5"). The L Heckler was just too short in the cockpit(23.5" top tube).. It was great for lift access and shuttles, but for more AM/XC rides I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike.

Don't miss the travel adjust......or should I say, I never used the travel adjust. Tried it once or twice and didn't feel it really helped out that much.

So a little bit of everything on this bike......short/long XC rides, technical DH, lift access.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2000 Superlight, running 1X9
    Rock Shox J2 front shock
    Fox air shock
    Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes
    XT rear derailleur and shifter
    Raceface cranks
    Salsa seatpost, saddle, stem
    Bontraeger handlebars
    Chris King/Mavic rear wheel
    Bontrager race front wheel (my Chris King front wheel needs a new wrap of rim tape

Handmade in Switzerland

Another Heckler 2009 in ano silver

Here is my brand new Heckler:

size: L
    colour: ano silver
    fork: marzocchi 55 ata
    shock: fox rp23
    wheels: xt hubs, notubes 355 rims
    seatpost: kcnc
    stem: truvativ aka
    handlebar: truvativ stylo wc 15mm rise
    crank: truvativ stylo 3.3
    brakes: avid elixier r 203/185
    shifters: sram x.0 twister
    front/rear derr: sram x.9
    saddle: selle italia slr trans-am
    tires: schwalber nobby nic 2.4
    cassette: shimano xtr
    weight: 13kg without pedals

mtbr member
    I like the ano silver, that's sexy.
    Cracked 2008 Heckler

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k
    I've already posted this, but it looks like the pic somehow got deleted. Anyway, I've had the bike about two months now and it has lived up to my expectations in every possible way. Unbelievable.

size - large
    color - anodized silver
    shock - float RP23
    brakes - avid juicy ultimate
    shifters - XO
    brake lever/shifter mount - avid matchmaker
    rear derailleur - XO
    front derailleur - XT
    headset - chris king
    wheelset - mavic crossmax ST
    tires - continental vertical UST
    seatpost - thomson elite
    crank - raceface deus
    stem - raceface deus
    handlebar - raceface deus
    grips - lizard skin lock on
    fork - 32 talas RLC
    casette - sram 950
    chain - sram 991
    pedals - eggbeater SL
    saddle - WTB pure v SLT

total weight - 28.4 pounds
    I saw your heckler on this thread and wanted to ask you a few questions about it. I was wondering how it performs as a general trail/cross country bike? Is there any pedal bob with the single pivot/RP23 combo? Is it nimble fast? Can you through it around easily? Good climber? I'm coming off a 2004 stumpjumper fsr 100mm front and back. It's a good FS cross country bike but I've been looking for a trailbike with more travel and more comfortable geometry. I still want something fast and nible. I do mostly general trail riding where I live but like to get aggressive on it. I've been falling in love with these hecklers and read a lot of good about them but I always heard you loose pedaling efficiancy with the single pivot. I tested one in the LBS parking lot. Geometry felt good but it was hard to tell on pedal bob and pedal efficiency.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by photoguy1000
    Here is my late 2007 large...
    I saw your heckler on this thread and wanted to ask you a few questions about it. I was wondering how it performs as a general trail/cross country bike? Is there any pedal bob with the single pivot/RP23 combo? Is it nimble fast? Can you through it around easily? Good climber? I'm coming off a 2004 stumpjumper fsr 100mm front and back. It's a good FS cross country bike but I've been looking for a trailbike with more travel and more comfortable geometry. I still want something fast and nible. I do mostly general trail riding where I live but like to get aggressive on it. I've been falling in love with these hecklers and read a lot of good about them but I always heard you loose pedaling efficiancy with the single pivot. I tested one in the LBS parking lot. Geometry felt good but it was hard to tell on pedal bob and pedal efficiency.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is my bike after some upgrades. Nothing special but it is mine. I have to do some more adjustments on it.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfillup
    After 10+ years on an orange steel Kona Kilauea hardtail (that finally died a graceful death), I just received my new orange Heckler. Thanks to everyone who posts on MTBR - your collective feedback, pics, etc. were invaluable to my decision. I''m 6' and after alot of back and forth test riding b/w Large and Extra-Large, I went with the Large frame (with set-back seatpost and 120mm stem) - perfect fit! I also went with a spec geared more towards XC and AM, vs. hardcore AM/FR - primarily b/c I live in Houston... Weight came in at 28 1/2 pounds - thought hard about a lighter wheelset, but am glad I went with a more "solid" setup... Will probably go with some lighter tires once the Ignitors wear out (hopefully soon 'cause that means I'm riding alot!).

Large Orange Powdercoat Heckler
    08 Fox Float RLC fork
    08 Fox RP23 rear shock
    08 XT cranks
    08 XT shifters (minus the shift indicators )
    08 XT disc brakes
    08 XT shadow rear derailleur (nice! )
    08 XT front derailleur
    07 Easton EC-70 seatpost (25mm set-back)
    07 Easton EA-70 stem - 6 deg, 120 mm
    08 Easton EC-70 MonkeyLite Carbon low riser bar
    Selle Italia prolink gel saddle blue
    ODI rogue grips with blue lockjaws
    Chris King headset navy
    08 XTR disc hubs
    Mavic XM-819 UST Rims
    DT Swiss 14/15 gauge black spokes
    blue alloy nipples
    Maxxis Ignitor UST 2.1" tires (front and rear)
    Crank Bros Candy SL pedals (black with blue spring)
    Hey, I live and ride in Houston also. I've been researching the hecklers. How has your worked out for you with the terain we have here. What kind of riding do you do? Is it good for xc/trail? Good climbing?

mtbr member

Here she is, almost 1 yr old now

Gang Green
    XT
    Crossmax Xl's
    32 Talas
    RP23

cps
    http://vaselina-mbc.blogs
    Mar 2008
    black pc ´08 ram built.

When tired of the forum, why not enjoy some ri(ea)ding
    BiiWheel, a super complete Mountain Bike Blog in Spanish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Never took the time to show you my Baby

Here it is.. It's an 07 L frame, with the following setup:

Fox Float 36 RC2
    Fox DHX5 + Progressive Ti spring
    Thomson X4 70mm stem
    Hope Headset
    Easton MonkeyLite DH bars
    Oury Grips
    X9 shifters / XT front / X9 rear derailleurs
    Hope M4 brakes 203/203 braided hose & floating discs
    Raceface Deus crank
    Thomson seatpost
    Selle Italia Prolink

For light action is goes with Spinergy Xyclone & Nobby Nic 2.25 tyres.. in this setup it does come out at 13.8kg (30.4lbs)

For heavier stuff it's equipped with High Roller 2.35 and Singletracks wheels as well as Shimano DX pedals.

I just love it so much..

mtbr member

information

plase

i need to know wat size is your Fox DHX5
    and wat spring rates is your Progressive Ti springregards
    i need this info to install one the same at my hecler
    regards lorenzo
    lorensf2000@yahoo.es

Quote Originally Posted by Alex406
    Never took the time to show you my Baby

Here it is.. It's an 07 L frame, with the following setup:

Fox Float 36 RC2
    Fox DHX5 + Progressive Ti spring
    Thomson X4 70mm stem
    Hope Headset
    Easton MonkeyLite DH bars
    Oury Grips
    X9 shifters / XT front / X9 rear derailleurs
    Hope M4 brakes 203/203 braided hose & floating discs
    Raceface Deus crank
    Thomson seatpost
    Selle Italia Prolink

For light action is goes with Spinergy Xyclone & Nobby Nic 2.25 tyres.. in this setup it does come out at 13.8kg (30.4lbs)

For heavier stuff it's equipped with High Roller 2.35 and Singletracks wheels as well as Shimano DX pedals.

I just love it so much..

mtbr member
    Hola Lorenzo,

- the DHX size depend off your Frame model (before 2007 or after 2007) you seem to have a 2005 model on your profil.

- Spring depend also of your weight (300, 350, 400 ...) and it's linked also to the frame type !

mtbr member
    yes burak
    my model is 2005
    and my weight 180 pound (82kg)

mtbr member
    Here is the PRESSURE and COIL TABLE for HECKLER 2005 frame :
    http://www.raceco-mtb.com/docs/Heckl...ion_Set_Up.pdf

Now shock tune can be a little different if you put a 2009 DHX Coil on a 2005 Heckler frame

mtbr member
    Here is my bike with new DHX 5 coil shock on freeride configuration

So awesome bike !

Frame : Heckler 2007 Powder Coated Gangreen
    Shock : Fox DHX 5 Coil 2008
    [bFork :[/b] - Fox 36 Float RC2 2008
    Headset : FSA Orbit XL II
    Handlebar : Trutativ Husselfelt 2008
    Grip : Lizzard Skin Dual Compound
    Stem : Race Face Evolve DH 31.8 mm - 50 mm
    Seatpost : Race Face Deus
    Saddle : WTB Pure V
    Brake : Avid Juicy 7 - Disc 185 mm
    Derailleur front : XT 2007
    Derailleur rear : XT SHADOW 2008
    Crankset : XT 2007
    Pedals : Shimano PD-M545
    Shifter : XT 2007
    Chain : XT
    Cassette : XT 2007
    Hub : Hope Pro II
    Spokes : dt comp
    Rims : Sun Ringle Singletrack Camo
    Tube : Maxxis DH
    Tires : Maxxis Highroller 2.35

Weight : 16,1 KG (35,5 Lbs)

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Burak
    Here is my bike with new DHX 5 coil shock on freeride configuration

So awesome bike !

Frame : Heckler 2007 Powder Coated Gangreen
    Shock : Fox DHX 5 Coil 2008
    [bFork :[/b] - Fox 36 Float RC2 2008
    Headset : FSA Orbit XL II
    Handlebar : Trutativ Husselfelt 2008
    Grip : Lizzard Skin Dual Compound
    Stem : Race Face Evolve DH 31.8 mm - 50 mm
    Seatpost : Race Face Deus
    Saddle : WTB Pure V
    Brake : Avid Juicy 7 - Disc 185 mm
    Derailleur front : XT 2007
    Derailleur rear : XT SHADOW 2008
    Crankset : XT 2007
    Pedals : Shimano PD-M545
    Shifter : XT 2007
    Chain : XT
    Cassette : XT 2007
    Spokes : dt comp
    Rims : Sun Ringle Singletrack Camo
    Tube : Maxxis DH
    Tires : Maxxis Highroller 2.35

Weight : 16,1 KG (35,5 Lbs)

Thats a sick lookin bike. I have the grey camo rims with a white frame. it really makes the bike
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My resprayed Heckler (old model)

Action Pic

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian
    I rode to work today...
    Your bike looks like its set up pretty lite for more XC, no? What type of riding do yo do with it?

mtbr member

Here's Mine

Since it is raining and nasty here in southwest Virginia I can't ride. I've always wanted to post pix of my ride so I guess now is a good time to do it. The frame is an '04, made in USA.

DriveSide.JPG

FrontRightSide.JPG

mtbr member
    Here is a rundown of my Heckler. It has been a work in progress for the last three years
    and is pretty much dialed for the riding I do. It is my "one" bike and can rip everything
    from cross country to FR and DH. I love this rig!

Frame : 2004 Heckler, Medium (purchased recently online... it clearly saw little use!)
    Shock : 2007 Fox DHX 5.0
    Fork: 2008 Fox 36 Talas R
    Headset : King
    Handlebar : Titec El Norte
    Grip : Ruffian
    Stem : Hussefelt, 60mm
    Seatpost : Thomson
    Saddle : WTB Rocket
    Brake : Juciy 7s, 8" front, 6"rear
    Derailleur front : XT
    Derailleur rear : X9
    Crankset : LX
    Tensioner: Blackspire Stinger
    Bash: Dangerboy
    Pedals : Crank Brothers Acid
    Shifters : X9
    Chain : Sram 990
    Cassette : Sram 980
    Spokes : DT
    Rims : Front - E540, Rear - 5.1D
    Tubes: Yes
    Tires : Front - Nevegal 2.35, Rear - Excavator 2.35

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Bang
    My Heckler, idea was to get it as light as possible so it climbed well and was nimble on trails but still be able to free-ride on it, 6 ft drops etc I weight 205lbs, without it breaking!

So far its been solid!!

Frame » Santa Cruz Heckler Large
    Fork » Fox 36 Talas RC2
    Rear Shox >> Fox Float R Big Volume
    Rear Mech » SRAM XO
    Front Mech » Shimano XT
    Shifters » SRAM XO Carbon
    Brakes » Hope Mono M4 (Front) – Hope Mono Mini – (Rear) (205mm / 165mm Floating Rotors)
    Crankset & Rings » Middleburn RS7 (ISIS)
    Bottom Bracket >> Crank Brothers Cobalt (ISIS)
    Pedals >> DMR V12 Magnesium
    Handlebar » Easton EA70 Oversize 31.8mm Riser
    Grips >> ODI Rouge Lock On
    Stem » Easton Vice Freeride Oversize
    Headset » Chris King Threadless
    Seatpost » Easton EC70 Carbon
    Seat » WTB Rocket V SLT
    Front Hub » Hope Pro II
    Rear Hub » Hope Pro II
    Skewer (Rear) >> Hope QR
    Seat Post Clamp >> Hope
    Cassette » SRAM 11-32 PG990
    Chain >> SRAM Power Link
    Spokes » DT Swiss Super Comp
    Rims » DT Swiss X455 (Recently Changed to Syncros D28)
    Tires » Maxxis 2.35 Minion DHF Single Ply (Front 42a S/Tacky Rear 60a Maxxpro)

Weight >> 30 Lbs

Afan Heckler1 (Large).JPG
    What kind of chainrings are those? I am looking for some red ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pike 454 Coil U-turn Fork
    DT Swiss EX 5.1D Rims
    Juicy 7's
    Easton Monkeylite XC bars
    XT Derailleurs
    SLX Crankset
    Thomson Masterpiece setback post
    Thomson 4x Elite 90mm 10 deg. Stem
    Cane Creek Headset
    Etc Etc Etc