mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That new heckler is siiiiiiick !!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    just me! with my new fork

rox4fun

My New Heckler '07

Here is my new Heckler '07....I am still in shock that I have been able to build my first dream mountain bike after 15 years of riding!! I have done research on each and every part and just built the bike as I went...it is still a bit of work in process...

I am curious to find out if anyone can give me some feedback on the setup of the bike so far...in other words...did I screw up some of my bits when I put this Frankenbaby together? I think that most of them work well together...but are there better parts to make the whole??

The bike is set up with the following:
    - '07 Santa Cruz - Heckler
    - Forx - Fox Float RLC32
    - Rear - Fox Float R
    - Drive - XTR Front, Rear, Shifters
    - Rims - Mavic XRide
    - Stem/Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    - Bars - Easton EA70
    - Headset - Chris King
    - Cranks - Truvativ FirEx
    - Brakes - Avid BB7, SL Lev, Flak Jack
    - Tires - Panaracer Firex Pro
    - Seat - Serfas Cosmo

Plan is to change to the following in the next few months:
    - Cranks - Race Face Atlas
    - Seat - WTB Pure Stealth

This should be the final product for now...unless I can get some good recommendations for changes

Oh yeah....the bike absolutely rocks, my riding is better then ever in the past 15 years. I am going for the first REAL ride tomorrow morning to DAR, MA...good stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I like it all.

rox4fun

Thanks

I like it too We had a good 14 mile ride today in local single track trails & fire roads. The bike is great...we did some tweakin' along the way with fork settings, brakes, etc., but overall, a good ride. I went from a hardtail K2 Zed X to this bike and I still can't believe what I can ride over.

I am putting the rocket V seat on next week, but will wait on the cranks. The Firex aren't that bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy summer
    what seatpost is that?
    RaceFace X, I believe

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

my old beast

here's mine, it's an 03 which has been almost completely rebuilt three times now. don't have any photos of the first build. was really cheap cause you at the time you could only buy frame only in australia, and it was REALLY expensive, so i skimped on parts.

this is the second rebuild from late 04 with mostly 05 parts

and this is the latest incarnation (and certainly the best) with all 06 parts. note the purdy lady - she helps get me through those really hellish climbs:

"You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

rox4fun

Nice bike

I can't tell from the photos, can you list out the setup. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride On
    That Burak, has got to be one of the nicest Hecklers' I've seen!! I'm second guessing white.
    I think Gangreen is the coolest color ever. I would totally go with that color if I had an SC!
    I love Hecklers
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Hmmm am I in the right place?.. (I think the other Heckler threads are locked?)

This is my 2003 small white Hecker
    Fox Float RLC forks
    Fox Float RL rear shock
    Juicy 7s
    XT drivetrain
    And some other specs I can't think of at the top of my head right now

I've had it for about three years now with various parts on it but I think I've got it set up quite nicely for me now. Climbs up good, descends well. Plus it's sitting just on 30 lbs which I thought wasn't too bad (considering the average wheelset I've got on it!)
    NZ mountainbiking online --> www.vorb.org.nz

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

my heckler specs

Quote Originally Posted by nukescgg
    I can't tell from the photos, can you list out the setup. Thanks.
    03 Santa Cruz Heckler - liquid blue, large size
    Forx - 06 Fox 36 Talas
    Rear Shock - 07 Fox DHX 5.0 with 500lbs spring (i weigh 90kg, or about 200lbs)
    Shifters - 06 X.0 Gripshift
    Rear Deraileur - 06 X.0
    Front Deraileur - 06 XT
    Chain - X.9
    Rear Cassette - X.9 (i skimped on the cassette, the X.0 is a work of art)
    Front Wheel - Hope (can't remember type), DT Swiss double butted, DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Rear Wheel - Hope Pro II, DT Swiss double butted, DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Brakes - 06 XT with aftermarket 8" rotors (awesome stoppers)
    Bars - Azonic World Force (always, i trust 'em)
    Cranks - 06 XTR
    Pedals - DX spd type (not the oldschool red ones which were tough as hell but 1kg each)

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

heckler specs revised

i accidently hit submit:

brakes are actually 06 Juicy 7's with 7" rotors. i had XT on the bullit. the juicy 7's have proven to be a great brake: strong, reliable and hassle free. felt better and a bit stronger than the Hayes i had previously, but to Hayes for longevity - that hydro set was on three different bikes before it finally sh!t itself. anyway, XT hydros are way more powerful. grab an untimely handful of 'em and you're straight over the bars. juicy's ain't like that, they're all about "modulation"...

Thomson seat post and stem, which i think is 90mm with 15 degree rise (i'm exactly 6' and it's perfect), and black Chris King No-Thread headset, of course

i'm an AM/XC rider and 05 zocchi AM2's were an excellent match for the heckler. gotta love that super-plush zocchi feel, and the simple practicality of ETA. the 06 36 Talas are alright. they work brilliantly for a while but do require servicing at regular intervals, which is sh!t. i love the way you can just hammer zocchi's for years till they're dead, then just replace 'em with the latest and greatest. in contrast, fox forks are an on-going concern. in retrospect i shoulda got 66 Lights with ETA or RC2X's.

note: i always use full-length cable routing wherever possible to reduce dirt and muck in the cable lines. i've only needed to adjust them once after year of abuse, which was the mandatory tweek after the first 2-3 rides.

yes, it is a very sweet ride. i love it, it's my precious.

mtbr member
    I think your in the right place. Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My New Heckler

Here is my new XL Orange '07 Heckler with...
    08 Fox 32 TALAS
    Fox Float
    Thomson EliteSeatpost and Stem
    Easton CNT MonkeyLite Bars
    The rest is stock D AM build kit...thanks to http://www.speedgoat.com for all the help.
    This bike is class...all the photos attacher were taken at the Kingdom Trails in Vermont during a recent holiday-great holiday made all the better by the new Heckler!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yfdcap
    I think your in the right place. Nice bike.
    Thanks! It'll need a new drivetrain pretty soon though - am having some major chainsuck issues Will ride my hardtail in the meantime. Or look into getting a Juliana for more XC-oriented riding, and turning the Heckler into more of a DH/trail bike.

Here's a pic of me actually riding the Heckler. Nothing too extreme unfortunately (cameras don't seem to be around when I actually ride something technical.. )
    NZ mountainbiking online --> www.vorb.org.nz

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is that the Powdercoat Black or Anodized? SICK BIKE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psychavoc
    Thanks! It'll need a new drivetrain pretty soon though - am having some major chainsuck issues Will ride my hardtail in the meantime. Or look into getting a Juliana for more XC-oriented riding, and turning the Heckler into more of a DH/trail bike.

Here's a pic of me actually riding the Heckler. Nothing too extreme unfortunately (cameras don't seem to be around when I actually ride something technical.. )
    Nice pic. Where do you live? Looks very green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler
    Is that the Powdercoat Black or Anodized? SICK BIKE
    Anodized Black.

mtbr member
    Wicked bike, Albanach.

How tall are you? That seat post extension on an XL, plus what looks like a 110mm stem... you must be built like chewbacca.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's some current pics of mine. Not ridden the tyres on this bike yet but plan to this weekend.

Bike before a few updates:

And now sporting bashring, high roller single ply tyres and xt front/deore rear brakes,

It weighs exactly 34.4lbs and I challenge other riders who say theirs is a lot lighter to actually get proper accurate scales and weigh it! Saying that, I reckon the heavy parts (and those that I'm not willing to lighten up) are the wheels... about 630g each heavier than my xc bike with tyres etc.

5th Element coil
    2004 vanilla rlc's
    F219's on BULB hubs, High Rollers
    XT Octalink with bashring
    2006 XT rear mech, 2004 XT shifters (still going as new!)
    FSA FR200 stem (I love these boys) and EA70 alloy bars (also love these! Very wide and tons of control)

I feel at home when I get on this bike. It's just right. I can ride all day, up hill and down dale, do a 4ft vertical wall drop to flat near my home whenever I come back from riding and this gets almost full travel out of the vans. I don't notice the weight of the bike until I lift it to get over fences etc! But still... it's the most fun I have with clothes on.

If I could change anything without worrying about money I guess I would get... erm... *thinks hard... hmm. I honestly can't think of a single thing I would change actually, thought I wouldn't mind having it in this colour instead! : (my OTHER baby)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here's my new Heckler.
    Many thanks to, mwcet8k for sending me further pictures to convince me to buy a silver ano finish, Bikescene at Guisborough UK & the guy who cancelled his order, so I didn't have to wait!

Build comprises:
    Santa Cruz Heckler, Large, Ano Silver with Fox RP23 Air Shock.
    Rock Shox Pike 454 Air U-Turn 110-140mm
    Cane Creek S3 Headset
    Thomson Elite Stem, 5 degree rise, 100mm reach
    Easton Monkeylite CNT Low Riser
    Yeti Hardcore grips with lock-on collars
    Shimano Deore XT 9 Speed Shifters
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    WTB Rocket Stealth Saddle
    Race Face Evolve XC X-Type Chainset
    Shimano M520 SPD Pedals
    Scram PC991 9 Speed Chain
    Shimano Deore XT 9 Speed Cassette
    Shimano Deore XT Rear Mech
    Shimano Deore XT front Mech
    Hope Mono M4 Disc Brakes, 200/160 Floating Rotor, with Goodridge Hose
    Mavic Crossmax XL UST Disc Wheelset
    Schwable Albert & Fat Albert UST Tubeless Tyres

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    dickie, you are now on my I hate you list

Congrats on the find.

mtbr member
    That is one nice looking bike!! Silver and black just look tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nukescgg
    Here is my new Heckler '07....I am still in shock that I have been able to build my first dream mountain bike after 15 years of riding!! I have done research on each and every part and just built the bike as I went...it is still a bit of work in process...

I am curious to find out if anyone can give me some feedback on the setup of the bike so far...in other words...did I screw up some of my bits when I put this Frankenbaby together? I think that most of them work well together...but are there better parts to make the whole??

The bike is set up with the following:
    - '07 Santa Cruz - Heckler
    - Forx - Fox Float RLC32
    - Rear - Fox Float R
    - Drive - XTR Front, Rear, Shifters
    - Rims - Mavic XRide
    - Stem/Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    - Bars - Easton EA70
    - Headset - Chris King
    - Cranks - Truvativ FirEx
    - Brakes - Avid BB7, SL Lev, Flak Jack
    - Tires - Panaracer Firex Pro
    - Seat - Serfas Cosmo

Plan is to change to the following in the next few months:
    - Cranks - Race Face Atlas
    - Seat - WTB Pure Stealth

This should be the final product for now...unless I can get some good recommendations for changes

Oh yeah....the bike absolutely rocks, my riding is better then ever in the past 15 years. I am going for the first REAL ride tomorrow morning to DAR, MA...good stuff

Sick ride, weird question though, are the decals on the Liquid Blue heckler white? Or silver?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My new Heckler...........

Did not want black but gettin used to it.....Took a D AM kit and turned it into this.....ps...I have a lot of parts off the D AM Kit for sale!!!!!! XTR 07 kit. New XT Shadow rear derailleur,Fox float RL140,Mavic Crosstrails,ust Kenda Nevegals,Easton Carbon 31.8 bars and post,Thomson X4 31.8 stem. Juicy's,king headset, Crank Bros Acid pedals.....Dont even want to count the $$$$..... Pic is at Sugar Mtn., N.C....What a blast! The lift ride up:23 mins...the ride down:5 min.
    Last edited by poe400; 07-25-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast