Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2010 Heckler

Just picked this up a few days ago off Craigslist. Been expanding my riding into more all mountain and I am really excited to get out and ride this bike. I think it will be good for the Seattle/Pacific Northwest trails I ride. After doing some reading I decided to go with a large- I'm 5'10". I will probably swap out the current 90mm stem for a 50mm.

2010 Heckler
    Fox Talas 100-120-140
    Fox RP23
    XT cranks
    X9 shifters and rear, 2x9 with bash guard
    XT front
    IS dropper post with WTB seat
    Easton EA70 bars with ODI Ruffians
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and rear
    Thomson 90mm stem- soon to be swapped out
    Forte convert pedals
    Hayes nine brakes

Comments/thoughts!? Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    First bike which I bought used, don't know if I got a good deal or not but I love it! '05 Heckler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    anyone 5'8 with 31" inseam riding a large?
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    I'm my opinion, that would be to big for you.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Yeah, you want a medium. I'm 6ft and my large '04 Heckler was perfect with a 70mm stem.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New Owner

Just picked this up on Thursday evening from LBS.
    Heckler photo thread 2007-2013scheckler.jpg

I got the RAM kit that is offered on their website

Frame: 2013 XL Heckler
    Rear Shock: Fox Float Evo CTD 150mm
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation RL 150mm
    REAR DER: Shimano M675 SGS (SLX) 10spd
    FRONT DER: Shimano M780 (XT) 10 spdd
    SHIFTERS: Shimano M670 (SLX) 10spd
    CRANKSET: Shimano M552 24/32/42 10spd
    BOTTOM BRACKET:
    CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd
    CHAIN: Shimano HG 74 10spd
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5's w/ 180mm front 160mm rear rotors
    BARS: Raceface RIde low riser 710mm
    STEM: TruVativ AKA, 60mm, 70mm or 80mm
    GRIPS: Lizard Skin "494"
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 10
    SEAT POST: Raceface Ride 30.9x375mm
    SADDLE: WTB Volt Race
    WHEELS: Mavic XM 321 rims laced to Shimano M758 front hub and M756 rear hub w/ DT 14 gauge spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 wire
    TUBES: Maxxis .7mm tubes

Took it for a test spin around the block and I had a smile on my face. Can't wait to hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Rebuilt the Heckler again...

Fox Float 150
    Stans Arch/Hope ProII
    XTR shifters/derailleurs
    Formula RXO brakes
    Kindshock dropper post
    Works Components 1 degree slack angleset.

~28lbs. Feels like a rocket.

Excuse my finger over the lens...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler photo thread 2007-img_3412.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbontubulars View Post
    Rebuilt the Heckler again...

Fox Float 150
    Stans Arch/Hope ProII
    XTR shifters/derailleurs
    Formula RXO brakes
    Kindshock dropper post
    Works Components 1 degree slack angleset.

~28lbs. Feels like a rocket.

Excuse my finger over the lens...
    Looks sharp, really like that blue.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTc
    2011 SC Tallboy C
    2010 Jackal
    2012 Heckler

mtbr member
    Can somebody post the geometry of Heckler 6.1 please?
    I can't find it anywhere.
    Thanks!

Pay no mind to us...
    I don't think it is appreciably different than Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER

You can go to Santa Cruz Bicycles | Heckler > Geometry and change the year in the URL to see 2012, 2011, 2010, etc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Can somebody post the geometry of Heckler 6.1 please?
    I can't find it anywhere.
    Thanks!

mtbr member

My new ride

This is my new ride, just built it up. I bought it to try out 27.5" but will ride as a 26" for the time being. I have not hit the trails with it yet but I am sure it will get some ride time and give the Tallboy a break every once in a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler photo thread 2007-image.jpg  

2013 SC Tallboy LTc
    2011 SC Tallboy C
    2010 Jackal
    2012 Heckler

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Heckler photo thread 2007-20130309_121454.jpg

2012 Heckler.
    Full X0 with XX cranks.
    Thompson post and stem.
    Easton carbon flat bars.
    Fox TALAS 140mm FIT RLC.
    Mavic wheels with XT hubs.
    Eggbeater 3's.
    I will be picking up a King or CC headset and a new seat soon.
    30 pounds as it sits. First bike in 15 years. I really like it.
    Last edited by ugapug; 03-09-2013 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Heckler photo thread 2007

Here's my '12 build up. I' ve been swapping parts from my old Blur to this for the past month and it's finally done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler photo thread 2007-uploadfromtaptalk1365648477687.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-uploadfromtaptalk1365648449441.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-uploadfromtaptalk1365648491278.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-uploadfromtaptalk1365648507977.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-uploadfromtaptalk1365648551667.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice! But, what's up with the brakes? You know what I mean!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Heckler photo thread 2007-photo.jpgGot my set of Burgtec offset shock bushings the other day. Had to buy the little tool to press the old stock bushings out. New ones feel smooth. Even when the shock is bottomed without air, there is tons of clearance. (unlike with my 650b wheels, which get rub.) So this is what a 2009 Heckler looks like with and angleset, offset bushings, and a 150mm fork. Snow has gotten in the way of our riding so far, but it feels great riding around the block. The geometry change is not that subtle.

guru meditation
    Heckler photo thread 2007-img_0166.jpg

Greetings from Whitehall Reservoir in Massachusetts... Here is my 2012 Heckler taking a break, what a great bike!

mtbr member
    yetilicious, I'm considering switching over to a Heckler from a Blur as well. I think I'm one of the few that hasn't been too impressed with the Blur. What led you to the change? Any thoughts comparing the two?

mtbr member
    The 2003 blur was to big for me. It was a 22" model. My heckler is a mediumish large and it fits waaay better. I bought the blur used a couple of years ago cheap and toughed it out. Going down fire roads was a blast but on anything technical I never felt comfortable because I was a little stretched out on it.

I really like the geometry of the Heckler. It's much more slack. I sit more upright and for me climbing is easier and it's more nimble when I have to maneuver around things.

I bought the frame only on the SC website for $550 plus tax and shipping. If they had nomad frames for that price I would have gotten one of those based on all the reviews.

Any other questions just let me know.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Heres my new Heckler, custom built '13 model. This bike rocks, everyone including the shop owners tried to talk me into a nomad or bronson, but simply I couldn't afford those so went with this.
    Coming off a Reign X I was told that this would be inferior to the Maestro platform and blah blah blah, but after my first run down my local tracks I hit things I never touched on the Reign, I love the liveliness of the single pivot. I don't really buy into the VPP hype now, clearly geometry is much more important as the bike just feels so right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler photo thread 2007-img_0153.jpg  

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Awesome bike man. I had bombers on my Heckler, '05 AM2's then '08 55ETA's. Tried some early brown 36 Talas and thought they were sh!t, no comparison to Zocchi. I resent that mtbr.com don't fullly cover Zoke's new products and leap at anything Fox, simply because they're paid to. Interesting to see how much you use the dropper post. Guess I'm oldschool, maybe just old, but they seem a bit of a gimmick to me, and not very reliable yet either.

Loved my Heckler, hammered the crap out of it for years, took unbelievable punishment. With it's long legs and short body, with a well balanced, upright seating position, it takes the big hits superbly, much better than a lot of more complex linkage.

I had an '03, developed a bit of slop in the swingarm which caused the shock bolt holes (on swingarm) to round out. The new design looks more durable, but make sure you replace the main pivot bearings as regularly, like every season. Had an '06 Foes FXR 2:1 after the Heckler which had a swing link connecting the top of the single pivot swingarm which significantly reduced flex, was noticeably stiffer than the Heckler.

Check this out: Heckler Rear End Flexing - YouTube

Edit: I just rewatched this video (after a couple of years) and I can barely see any flex in the rear triangle. The rear wheel is flexing it's guts out, but not the frame.

Now, I'm not dissing the Heckler, it's a great bike, but it is an inherently flexy design. Honestly, you don't even notice it when you're bombing down a hill, I never did, and I had the old model. But some lateral flex is there, and it's stressing the main pivot and shock hardware, something to be aware of. SC introduced the Butcher in order to address these issues, but it's not the classic the Heckler is, perhaps even the most classic mtb of all time, has one of the longest and impressive lineages.

In regard to the "VPP hype", I used to think the same, hardcore single pivot, even had a Bullit as well (great DH, pig of a trail bike)... until I rode a VPP bike. I'd always wanted a VP-Free, a DH bike you could actually ride to the top of the hill, and it's been a revelation. I mean, it's ridiculously overbuilt, heavy as hell (Saint cranks, 66 Evo Ti, DH parts), and the VPP design has since been revised several times, but man, it rides sooooo well. VPP farken rocks dude, it's really good, super plush yet has great small bump compliance, climbs really well and descends even better (it is a DH bike).

The single pivot design, although great, super stable and bombproof, relies a lot on the shock platform to prevent pedal bomb, mushiness. The trade-off for this is that the bike lacks a bit of small bump compliance. Takes big hits like a champ, but you do feel a bit more through the chatter, imo anyway. The beauty of VPP is that you can have your shock all the way open and let the linkage design take care of the rest, which it does without fuss, very impressive.

Anyway, have fun on your awesome new Heckler, and maybe VPP's something to think about in the future. Personally, I'm saving for a carbon Bronson.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    After a year of tinkering, finally done and perfectly tuned...

My statistics: 180cm, 80kg, inseam 34inches. Trail/all-mountain, no jumps or drops higher/deeper than 1.5ft.

2011 heckler Medium size.

Cockpit: Easton Havoc 65mm + Funn Full-on 2inch riser alum bars 770mm width. Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb.

Fork: Rockshox Domain 318 set at 160mm with nylon spacer, 5wt Stendec oil, Boxxer Soft spring cut to match. Enlarged compression valve (drill bit is one size-up from original hole) using battery hand drill for faster flow, noticeably smooths out trail harshness and small bumps. Always have about 1.5 inches left from bottom out after rides with small 1ft drop-offs.

Shock: Fox RP23 2012 Kashima Vel=Low, Reb=Low (traded off with DHX RC4). Blow through mid-travel (1st ride) still happened, then I added a plastic sheet into air-can to reduce air volume (roughly 5cc). This shock out-performs the DHX Air as it smooths out the chatters better than DHX Air and suspension curve makes it really plush across the full travel. There's once the o-ring dropped off the end, but i didn't notice the bottom-out happen. As for RC4, compression felt like overdamp for heckler and much harsher, not a comfortable shock for trail riding.

Shock Bushing: Proshox offset. The change in geometry did help my riding. Most obvious improvement i noticed is the body weight centering sweet spot is much more accommodating during weight shifts, might be due to longer wheelbase and lower BB height. Previously, it was a body balancing act whenever i come across technical uphills or downhills sections. But now i'm clearing the same sections without feeling out of balance.

Tires: Maxxis Hansventure 2.4 2-ply (Front) + 2.25 ardent (Back)

Drivetrain, Brakes, etc: 2011 SLX groupset. Blackspire Stinger roller chain-guide. Shimano PD-647 clipless pedals.

Other DIY stuff: Water-jet cutting alum bashguard. "Carbon fiber" fenders. Off-the-shelf stickers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler photo thread 2007-copy-20130527_124910.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-copy-20130527_125043.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-20120810_203837.jpg  

Heckler photo thread 2007-copy-20130527_125055.jpg  

Last edited by clouder; 06-07-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Missed out some items.
    ~ Wish you all ride happy and safe..!! ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    SICK ride clouder. Nice work. I've had my 2010 Heckler for a few months and it is such an awesome bike. Congrats on the build, our riding style sounds very similar.

mtbr member
    thanks charlie..!!
    ~ Wish you all ride happy and safe..!! ~

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Old, but still an awesome bike!

2006 Heckler

Heckler photo thread 2007-6-20-13-small.jpg

mtbr member
    I posted a pic of my Heckler in this thread WAY back in 2007 right after I bought it (can't believe it's been that long!). Anyway, thought I'd post another pic. Took this one a few days ago. After all these years and countless miles ridden all over Arizona, Colorado, and Texas, the bike is still going strong. It kind of blows my mind how well it's held up. Just had the fork and shock rebuilt by Push. Between that and the new WTB Bronsons I just threw on, the bike has never felt better. I went with the Heckler over the Blur because I wanted a simple, low maintenance bike that would last. Not disappointed. If and when I have to replace it, there's a very good chance I'll custom build another Heckler.Heckler photo thread 2007-img_0386.jpg

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast