Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heckler photo thread 2007

430K views 816 replies 293 participants last post by  Mr Crudley 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Heckler and i'd like to see some pictures of them to decide on the colour and spec...

#650 ·
Now that is one serious Heckler. I see you have an eye for detail, with matching reservoir caps/headset/fork controls, very nice. Love the gold anodized of those '11 stanchions, siiiiik. Now ride boy, RIDE, like your life depended on it!

#651 ·
I posted it elsewhere, but it belongs here, too:

2005 Large Heckler, custom paint (it was a rental, and the original white was beat to heck) with a PUSHed Vanilla RC (found it for $60 at a bike swap)
New Old Stock 2009 Lyrik Coil U-Turn
SRAM X-9 shifters and rear derailleur, LX front.
2011 Code R 203/185mm brakes, on matchmakers.
Gravity Dropper seatpost, 4"
Hone 34/22 crank with Blackspire Stinger chainguide
Crank Brothers Acid pedals
Sunline V1 lowrise 745 handlebar with Ergon Grips
Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm stem
Chris King headset (about 12 years old)
Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 (hah!) tires on ABBAH SOS 20mm front/American Classic rear, Alex DH rims.
Old WTB saddle

Next upgrade will be to get some AM wheels to run my new Maxxis DHF Exo's tubeless for everyday riding.

#656 · (Edited)
some new stuff:

Rockshox Revelation 426 Coil U-Turn > Rockshox Pike 426 > Marzocchi Z1 FR 1 (Italian-made is legendary. I didn't regret losing the Pike, the Z1 was even lighter)
Sun Ringle Disc Jockey > Traction/Formula Hubs > FireEye Excelerant Hubs (to match the FireEye rims)
Kenda Nevegal 2.1 > Hutchinson Spider 2.35 > Maxxis Minion DH F 2.35 (I was terribly disappointed with the Spiders. The Minions are awesome! They grip so well my reaction time got quicker - It grips the earth where I would normally expect a skid.)
WTB Rocket V > Selle Italia X0 (worn out Rocket V)
Generic black spokes > Origin-8 powdercoat red spokes (bling!)
Truvativ Rockguard bashring > MRP Partycrasher bashguard (to complete the MRP LRP set)

#660 ·
zaptheman said:
Z1's are the best forks for pre-07 hecklers! Nice build mate.

Some details:

Heckler / 5th Coil (200x57) / Z1 Light ETA (150mm)
Wheels: Hoper Pro II (20mm/ Bolt up) / Sapim Laser / Spank Oozy rims - Nevegals on it for now, gonna buy Maxxis Ardent for F&R and put they on a Joe's sealant (ghetto tubeless)
Drivetrain: XT crank (bash / 36 / 22) and bb, XT casette / Deore fd / Sram 9.0 rd / Sram X.0 triggers
Brakes: Oro K18 / XT 180/160 rotors
Misc: WTB Pure V saddle, Roox seatpost, Truvativ XR stem, Syncros Gain 7075 handlebar, Straitline pedals

I went to Heckler from Giant Reign, which was a little too short / small for me (btw. Giant warranty service has really poor reputation in Poland). Hecklers feeling is great :)

#671 · (Edited)
Some details:
Heckler / 5th Coil (200x57) -> CCDB
Wheels: Nevegals -> Schwalbe Albert Alpen Cross 2.25 (sucks a little, two snakes in two days... but paths were VERY rocky :) )
Misc: WTB Pure V saddle, Roox seatpost -> SDG seatpost, SDG Bel Air ST - almost 150g lighter than previous set!

Photos soon, I have to clean bike after 3 days in PL mountains (rocks, roots and TONS of mud) first ;)

regards,
f

#664 ·
Keep posting more pictures! I am anxiously waiting for my 2011 Heckler to arrive at my LBS. It's been a month now and I am going crazy. I've been dropping in at my LBS at least once a week just to say high and have been searching this forum daily looking for updated pics and stories of happy heckler owners. I really am in need of this bike so I can get out and ride.

#666 ·
IMHO you made a good decision on the Heckler. Before I bought mine, I considered and rode a lightly used Turner 6 pack, 2011 Titus ElGuapo, 2009 SC Nomad, and 2011 Brodie Zealot.

The Heckler just had a nice, natural feel. The single pivot is really efficient in the climbs, I get very little pedal bob. The price is right too. I've ridden the crap out of it, accidentally took a 12' ledge, and put it away wet and filthy without a problem.:D

#665 ·
'11 Heckler. Lime Green
Rock Shox Sektor RL (Great cheap, light fork)
RP23
SLX Shifters and deraileurs
Azonic Outlaw Wheelset, ghetto tubeless
Juicy 5's with 180mm rotors
Work in progress...

Photobucket

Photobucket

#668 ·
I don't think it's the 0.2 in of travel. Its probably the head tube angle and overall geometry. Its slightly different- definitely more slack. If I had the dough, I'd definitely buy a Nomad Carbon.

#669 ·
Fox Float 36 (160mm) with 180mm of stanchions showing?

Glad to see everyone running a similar suspension setup as me. I run a Fox DHX 5.0 with a 500# coil on the rear. I laugh when people tell me you get to much negative feedback with a single pivot. Up front I just switched over from my problemsome Marzocchi 55 ATA to a new 2011 Fox Float 36 RC2/FIT. This fork however shows 180mm of stanchion on a 160mm fork? The fork was initially overinflated from the retailer, "Bike Bling" but Fox has assured me there should be no problems. I collapsed the fork and re-inflated below my recommended rider weight to ~ 75 psi, but 180mm still show. Anyone foresee any issues?

#676 ·
...and here is mine!
my package includes RS Vivid R2C mid tune w/ Enduro needle bearings, RS Revelation Team w/ Black Box damper, Midleburn rings (22, 36T), Blackspire bash andstinger, Hope Pro 2 (20mm and 10mm rear w/Hadley thru axle), Avid's Elixir R- 185mm (front solid sweep rotor).

I like it a lot!
regards

Attachments

#677 ·
First ride on the new '10 Heckler yesterday at City Park Austin, TX. Most fun I've had on two wheels- ever! Came from an '06 Giant Trance...what a huge difference.

Q: I felt a little tall at the handle bars. There are multiple spacers under the stem and the stem seemed a little long. Is this on par for this type of bike? The previous owner was 6'3" and i'm 5'11". Could this be that he needed this setup due to his longer stretch? What are some setup tips for stem and spacing? I don't do DH, mainly all mountain and XC around Central Texas.

Attachments

#678 ·
First ride on the new '10 Heckler yesterday at City Park Austin, TX. Most fun I've had on two wheels- ever! Came from an '06 Giant Trance...what a huge difference.

Q: I felt a little tall at the handle bars. There are multiple spacers under the stem and the stem seemed a little long. Is this on par for this type of bike? The previous owner was 6'3" and i'm 5'11". Could this be that he needed this setup due to his longer stretch? What are some setup tips for stem and spacing? I don't do DH, mainly all mountain and XC around Central Texas.
Yeah, the stem definitely looks a bit on the long side. Also, you could remove a spacer or two on the steer tube to lower the bars a little. With all the spacers you have there, I'm certain you can find the right height for your stem.

I'm guessing that the previous owner rode more xc type terrain or was more of a roadie than mtb rider...

#679 ·
Fell in love with SC many eons ago (more than 10years before the changes)... I finally manage to afford one! Have not truly rode it yet. 2nd hand purchase. Needs work on the rear shock due to my massive weight... small rides around the neighborhood and loving every minute!

Drivetrain SLX 2012
Renthal Fat Bar
Hope stem
Specialized Command post
Marz 55 160mm old fork
some mix and match wheelset

Needs: Proper wheelset! Springs! and Shock tuning..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.