Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just noticed that the pics were really small. wanted to post bigger ones, so nobody has to squint to see them. I'm new to this so bear with me.

This thing weighs in at 30.5 lbs, even with the 5th element and vanilla RLC.

I think I must have grabbed the thumbnails on the original post

boomer

she's a beaute

I'm pretty sure I saw her at T-Town before you picked her up. That's a great bike for Turkey; I love mine.
    Calvin

Warrior's Society

Finally took a picture of it.

Bought the frame used about 6 months ago. I had it built up as a light XC rig. Did a 6hr Endurance race on it and decided it was too much bike for that kind of riding......I have a Chameleon for the race/endurance type rides.

'03 Heckler Large
    '03 Fox FLoat AVA soon to be swapped for a coil
    '00 Rock Shox Boxxer 6"
    Sram x.7 Triggers
    Sram x.7 Rear derailliuer
    Avid Mech Discs 8"/7"
    Shimano XTR Brake Levers
    FSA Cranks/outerboard bearings
    Shimano 520 pedals
    Shimano XT Disc/Laserdisc XC rear
    Quando 20mm/Sun Singletrack front
    Kenda NEvegal 2.1 rear
    Maxxis Minion 2.35 ST front
    King Headset
    Azonic Worldforce Bars 2" 28"
    Bontrager Sport Stem
    Thomson Post

Took it out on it's first ride the other day setup this way. Climbing was not as bad as I thought it would be. Way more fun on the DH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin
    I'm pretty sure I saw her at T-Town before you picked her up. That's a great bike for Turkey; I love mine.
    It is a great bike. I did get it at TTown mid June. The frame hung there quite a while, but was exactly what I was looking for. I do get a lot of compliments on her. When do you get out and ride Calvin? Rode Keystone today, but most of the time ride at Turkey. I don't take a lot of big stuff, Im kind of a clydesdale, and wanted something extra durable. I always had my Haro hardtail in the shop for one thing or another,

Give me a yell if you see me out there. Im there normally a couple of times a week.

attending to my vices
    oh man, everybody has got sweet hecklers! I want I want!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Want, want want!!!!

You must get,get get!!!!!!!!!!

You won't regret it for a minute! I believe that all the others on here will agree!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    You must get,get get!!!!!!!!!!

You won't regret it for a minute! I believe that all the others on here will agree!

I'm actualy starting to regret. Maybe some of you have noticed my headtube thread. The one with the pics of the lower headset cup off center. Now, since santa cruz seems to think it's perfectly normal, can you post pics of your heckler headtubes taken from the front of the bike. Just so I can be sure that I got the same quality that everybody else. ;-) Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Has Santa Cruz examined your headtube?

Have you had your frame sent back to Santa Cruz for them to examine the headtube or sent them a picture of what you think the problem is?

I'll get a picture taken of mine today. As I recall, the picture you put up was pretty much a looking straight at the front of the headtube. Did you also examine the headset to make sure it is perfectly round outside and inside?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi, my lost Evolution Heckler Evo III
    Swinger 4 way
    Pike 454 Dual air
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzer
    I'm actualy starting to regret. Maybe some of you have noticed my headtube thread. The one with the pics of the lower headset cup off center. Now, since santa cruz seems to think it's perfectly normal, can you post pics of your heckler headtubes taken from the front of the bike. Just so I can be sure that I got the same quality that everybody else. ;-) Thanks.
    You mean like this?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's the right angle. I'll go take a picture of mine right now. I found my real digicam, so the quality will be better. Be back in an hour to post the pic. The headset is ok. The headtube is not.

edit: So here's one pic showing the lower cup better. Had to take it without flash so it's a litle dark.

My own measurements tells that the wall thickness is 0.5mm thinner on the left side. :-(

boomer

Hey SoDakSooner

Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner
    When do you get out and ride Calvin?
    Check you PM's
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heckler Headtube

Here are a couple of pics of mine. I don't know if the lighting is good enough to be of use to you but here they are none the less.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzer
    That's the right angle. I'll go take a picture of mine right now. I found my real digicam, so the quality will be better. Be back in an hour to post the pic. The headset is ok. The headtube is not.

edit: So here's one pic showing the lower cup better. Had to take it without flash so it's a litle dark.

My own measurements tells that the wall thickness is 0.5mm thinner on the left side. :-(
    Sorry but I still don't understand what the problem is
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That was helpful to me because....

Ooooops, I need to correct the date in my camera!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Updated Hecler Pics

Woooo Hoooo, I finally got my DHX back from Fox with a Fresh rebuild. And, it works like no other now! I am stoked. The bike weight is now up to 33.71lbs.

Here are the pics:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The problem is.....

He believes that the bore of the heatube on his Heckler is off center. If you look at the picture with the Hope heaset, you will notice that the bottom headseat cup has a little more sticking out on one side than the other. I would think it more likely the headset than the frame but what do I know. I am no expert on these sorts of things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Have you measured the the headtube.............

Have you measured the wall thickness of the headtube without the headtube installed? How about the headset, you might as well have that measured to and make sure it is machined correctly. I would say it is more likely the headset is off than the headtube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The headset is 100% ok. The local importer/dealer for SC here in finland is telling me this:

It's normal for frames with such thick headtubes to have the macining a litle off center. They
    tell me it's a common thing on other brands than SC also. It does not make the geometry
    bad, since the final macining and facing is done after welding.

They also tell me they cheked six bikes (a few hecklers and some konas and a cannondale) in their stock to compare.

Here's the list:

Kona Stinky -to the left
    Kona Hoss DL -ok
    Kona Coiler Deelux -to the right
    Heckler FR-kit -to the right
    Heckler XC-kit -ok
    Cannondale Chase II -to the right

Don't know if this is all BS or not, but I'm going to do some checking myself...

I'm not so convinced, but I'm going to build the bike and check all alignments and testride it first. I will also go to random dealers and chek a few headtubes (both hecklers and other mfg frames). I did some basic things to check that fork drop outs, BB and rear drop outs are aligned, and as far as my very primitive way of testing can tell, it seems fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Build it up and take it for a ride

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Build it up and take it for a ride. That will be the real test. I'm sure it is fine and if by chance it is not, I am certain that Santa Cruz will take care of any problem. They are really good to deal with! You are going to love your Heckler! They are incredibly fun bikes to ride. I also have a Bullit and rarely ride it any more since getting this Heckler. I'm sure the Bullit will get more use in the summer than it is now but the Heckler is so much fun to ride because you can go for miles but still can ride almost all the same extreme things you can ride on a bigger bike. Which shock did you get for your frame? I highly recommend the DHX 5.0 Coil!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I went with the DHX Air. I wanted to build it on the light side. First I was thinking about RP3 and flot rlc for forks. But that would better fit something like a 5-spot or something. The heckler deserves shox that handel just that litle bit more. So I got the DHX Air & -05 AM1.

Target weight is around 30.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hello ,

it's my XL french Heckler ,i'm love it !!
    sorry for my very bad english

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My new heckler...

Got the bike last thursday -
    silver ano size M.
    mostly Easton / sram X7 / XT parts.
    fork is pike 454 air u-turn
    shock RP3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 110
    Got the bike last thursday -
    silver ano size M.
    mostly Easton / sram X7 / XT parts.
    fork is pike 454 air u-turn
    shock RP3.
    I am looking into ordering a Silver Ano Heckler. I already have a silver Pike, so it would look pretty good. How do you like the RP3?

mtbr member

Roco shock?

Quote Originally Posted by olive-wood
    hello ,

it's my XL french Heckler ,i'm love it !!
    sorry for my very bad english

How do you like the Marzocchi ROCO shock? How does it pedal? Can you compare it to the 5th or DHX? Any insights?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast