Fun Junkie

Heckler fork questions?

Yes, I'm a noob. I've been out of mountain biking for so long, I really am lost on all the new stuff.

I got my Heckler as a trade, and it came with a Manitou Nixon Elite fork with little to no use on it. Problem is, it's sprung for a 160 lb. rider, and I'm 220. As it turns out, it seems to be impossible to get any parts of any kind for Manitou products now, so I'm hosed, and forced to look for a new fork.

The Nixon has 145mm of travel, and I like the geometry, so I would like to stick with a 140 - 160mm fork.

I don't have a ton of cash, and really can't afford to drop $600+ for a new fork, but I also don't want to be stupid, and have to replace whatever I get 6 months down the road. I'm looking at lightly used forks on the classifieds here and on ebay, but I'm really lost as to what I should be looking for.

I like the looks of the Fox Float (and have used Fox suspension on my motorcycles in the past), and especially like the 36 Float with the longer travel (160m), but it looks like the 36 uses a different type of axle, so I'm guessing I'd have to change hubs and have new wheels built? Currently my Heckler has Mavix "X 317 Disc" wheels and Cerit hubs.

I also don't know how the disc brakes mount to the Fox forks as I can't find info on compatibility with the brakes I have (Hayes Nine); are all disc brakes mounted the same?

Sorry to ramble, but my LBS seems to take great pleasure in trying to make me feel like a fool for asking these type of questions, and since I don't plan to buy new anyway, I don't want to take up their time as it is.

So, any suggestions would be appreciated. While I'm learning a lot from reading through these forums, there's still a ton I obviously don't know.

...on the plus side, even with the waaaay under sprung forks, I've been having a blast riding the mountains behind my house and am already climbing sections that just last Monday seemed impossible (granted, I'm doing so through a haze of sweat and great physical pain).

Thanks again guys.

never ender
    If you're patient you might be able to track down springs for the Nixon. Stuff like that shows up sometimes on Ebay, Craigslist, and the MTBR classifieds, so just keep your eyes peeled.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe worth asking around the suspension section see if any one has one to sell?

mtbr member
    i think your best bet is to find closeout 2008 forks from fox....honestly you can prob find a 32 vanilla r for about 375....140mm of plush travel i use one on my heckler and i love it...only issue is that the stiffest spring is up to 210lbs...that's what i'm running, and i was 220 when i got mine, and now i'm down to 200...so it's kinda a motivator that you have to drop weight to match the spring....it worked for me.......also i saw a pike on ebay the other day for 300....hell of a deal....minus the swap to a 20mm axle if you're not already running one.....stay away from marzocchi....you'll be happier in the long run with either a pike, or a fox.....coil rules.....

Fun Junkie
    Thanks guys. I definitely think the Manitou is on the outs. As I said, my biggest problem is I don't know anything about what's out there.

I'll throw a post in the suspension forums (why didn't I think of that?).

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    zenmoto-Welcome back to mountain biking! As I told you on a previous post, It sounds like your bike shop just plain sucks-Why give them your hard earned money if they belittle you and refuse to get you the parts you need. Nixon springs are availble to order-My LBS ordered A firm spring for me two weeks ago for the same exact fork that you have. The Nixon is a great fork when properly sprung, and the upgrade will cost you 30 bucks! My advice is drive a bit farther and find a shop that you can develop a long term relationship with.