Thread: Heckler Fans

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Heckler Fans

My baby is a 2002 Heckler, which I love. Its has become very sluggish & skitish. Trying to figure out what the problem is. Just had new wheels made, mine were oval. Replaced frame bearings and rearshock bearings\ to stiffen it up and eliminate creaks. Its still acting like a slug. Thinking of going to a superlite. Rode my BF's and I had no problems. Anyone have an opion??
    I really dont want to change my bike it bombs.

mtbr member
    what rear shock r u running? and what tires?

never ender
    Probably a fork problem, if you've already replaced the wheels and frame hardware. What exactly do you mean by "sluggish & skittish?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Heckler Fans

I have Fox Talas RLC onn the front & rear. News are Ryno Lites with DTswiss hubs and spokes.
    Sluggish-feel its just slow now does not move or respond like it use too.

mtbr member
    there is no fox talas rlc rear shock, you probably meant fox float or something. try some maxxis advantages or high rollers for tires, theyre fast. as for a rear shock, try pushing ur current rear shock, or trying a manitou air shock, theyre pretty sweet.

never ender
    word, if you've got a Fox fork and shock, send 'em to PUSH...I think their current rates are 150 for a full shock tune and 200 for a fork, but that's way cheaper than buying new stuff.

btw, Fox did make a Talas rear shock for a while...it was OEM on the original Trek Liquids, but never caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE
    there is no fox talas rlc rear shock, you probably meant fox float or something. try some maxxis advantages or high rollers for tires, theyre fast. as for a rear shock, try pushing ur current rear shock, or trying a manitou air shock, theyre pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-MA
    I have Fox Talas RLC onn the front & rear. News are Ryno Lites with DTswiss hubs and spokes.
    Sluggish-feel its just slow now does not move or respond like it use too.
    Is your new wheelset heavier than your old ones. If they are heavier that could make it feel sluggish.

mtbr member
    without a doubt those new wheels are pigs compared to what you had before...how much do you weigh (if you dont mind me asking)? if you're less than 150lbs, you should be able to ride some nice strong, but light, mavics or something more XC orriented....like some mavic 717's with whatever hubs you want....light as a feather....well, atleast a LOT less than the rhyno lites....i run those RL's on my heckler, and i'm 200lbs...and even i think they're heavy....also, what tires are you running? hopefully you're running a cheap wire bead tire now, b/c then you can switch to a super light 120tpi kevlar bead tire, and save a TON of weight....anytime you go to lighter tires/wheels, the difference is like exponential b/c it's rotating weight....so if you save a pound off your tires, you notice it a LOT more than if you save a pound off your bars/stem/seatpost....ya know?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am reading your thread and am wondering if your problem might be something that I discovered on my new heckler. I am wondering if with those new wheels wether you changed the damping rebound setting on your rear shock to allow for more rebound. Recently, I started playing around with the rebound settings on my bike and dialed in alot more rebound. I ride primarily xc, quite techinical with alot of climbing but also alot of short downhill and wanted to dial in more rebound because the bike is great in this area (rp23 rear shock) and its fun. The bike was awesome but I felt something was wrong. I found I couldn't keep up to my regular riding partners anymore without a struggle and the bike did not roll nearly as fast with as much response. I thought at first it must be the heavier bike or I was not as in good shape. Several outings later I removed most of the rebound and was delighted and surprised to be up with the pack. What I realised is that the rebound adjustment was making me work much harder than everyone else (except on the downhills) and sucking the rolling momentum out of the bike. In hindsight it makes perfect sense but it wasn't until I started plalying around with rebound that I felt the huge difference it can make in energy output on my part and how fast the bike will roll. I know your rear shock is not the same but the effects of alot of rebound will produce the same results. I have since upped my air pressure to be able to allow for a small amount of rebound and it is working well.