mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Heckler for Downhill and Urban riding?

Am I crazy?

I am going to Jiminy mountain this weekend. While I won't ride insanely hard cause I am kinda a newb, do you think a heckler with the D AM kit (float R and Recon 351) can handle it?

I also do a bunch of urban riding around campus at school, dropping flights of stairs and what not....good idea? Yay? Nay?

Whatcha think?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh yeah, good fit, since you said you are not a DH pro rider, the heckler with D-AM will be more than enough.

I wouldn't ride it around campus and leave it outside to go to class though, even if it is chained to the bike racks.

Underweight Rider
    LoL around campus your bike is like a SUV among Model Ts :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Oh yeah, good fit, since you said you are not a DH pro rider, the heckler with D-AM will be more than enough.

I wouldn't ride it around campus and leave it outside to go to class though, even if it is chained to the bike racks.
    Oh hell no. I never leave it anywhere. I am talking about driving it around campus with the intent of jumping off stuff ect. Not to commute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am just concerned about it taking the abuse, and being manageable on the downhill trails.

Granted it is not like I have much of an alternative.

mtbr member
    just make sure you're not bottoming out or close to bottoming ya know.....i mean with urban riding you get a lot of drops to flat usually, soo you wanna be sure you've got enough cush to not stress your frame...set your sag properly, hit a good size drop, and see how much you have left....if you're bumping up against the limit, i'd add some air front and rear just as a safety buffer....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yea I have bottomed it once or twice on some bigger drops, but they were extremely soft bottom outs. So I know just a couple more PSI will make it perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nah man, you said you are kind of a newb, I really dont think you will hit the limit of the heckler, unless of course you are a big guy.

Otherwise, you prob. want to buy a new bike before you even break the frame. Parts wise, replace as your break them, thats what we all do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Nah man, you said you are kind of a newb, I really dont think you will hit the limit of the heckler, unless of course you are a big guy.

Otherwise, you prob. want to buy a new bike before you even break the frame. Parts wise, replace as your break them, thats what we all do.

Yea I have only been riding a couple of months. I ride hard, but not insane like people who have better skills.