mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Heckler decision...CL or Build?

Hey everyone, sorry for posting yet another what should I do thread, but my circumstances seem unique. I'm looking at Hecklers only...well, XL Hecklers only so my choices are limited. Trust me, XL Hecklers are hard to come by.

First choice is to buy a used (unseen, but a few pictures) 2012 Heckler D AM XL from a guy on CL and pay $1575 (shipped...he's not local). Bike is in great condition with about 200 miles on it. The other option is to buy the 6.2 Heckler frame from SC for $550 and build my own budget bike. I've already found a new Rock Shox fork that came on the 2012's for $250 on a local ad. So there's $800 already with frame and both shocks.

Could I build the rest of the bike for $700? I'm not trying to put the best parts on this bike, more in line with the D kit.

Another question I keep asking myself is; do I want to spend the next month sourcing parts when I could be riding next week? Obviously I want to ride ASAP, but maybe I could source parts fast. blah blah blah.

If you were me would you go $1575 used or brand new frame build with a $1500 budget?

Thanks for your insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Personally, I don't think I'll ever buy another "kit" bike again... it's just too much fun to build a bike from the frame up. The main question for you is whether or not it's worth an extra few hundred bucks to get the parts you want on the bike you'll be riding for a while. I say that because you'll probably end up spending closer to $1700-1800 for the bike you build yourself. However, given the parts spec'd on the D-AM kit, do you see yourself swapping any of those out in the near future? That may play into your decision.

If you look in the "Where are the Best Deals" forum, there's a thread with a link to a $500 XT build kit, which is an absurdly low price. Figure $200-300 for some decent wheels (I recommend looking at WTB Strykers), and another $100-200 in miscellaneous parts (handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc). That puts you around $1600-1700 for a really nice build, and one you can feasibly have done in a week or two depending on shipping times.

mtbr member
    Have you thought about spending a little bit more and getting the new 27.5 Heckler? Looks like a killer bike with the new revisions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Personally, I don't think I'll ever buy another "kit" bike again... it's just too much fun to build a bike from the frame up. The main question for you is whether or not it's worth an extra few hundred bucks to get the parts you want on the bike you'll be riding for a while. I say that because you'll probably end up spending closer to $1700-1800 for the bike you build yourself. However, given the parts spec'd on the D-AM kit, do you see yourself swapping any of those out in the near future? That may play into your decision.

If you look in the "Where are the Best Deals" forum, there's a thread with a link to a $500 XT build kit, which is an absurdly low price. Figure $200-300 for some decent wheels (I recommend looking at WTB Strykers), and another $100-200 in miscellaneous parts (handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc). That puts you around $1600-1700 for a really nice build, and one you can feasibly have done in a week or two depending on shipping times.
    Thank you very much for the response, very insightful especially the deal on the XT build kit. That is an insane deal. The only items I'd see myself swap out right away are grips and seat. The rest I'd upgrade as they wore out. With the estimates you provided I'd be looking at a better bike that is brand new for $200 bucks more. Sounds like I need to pick up that frame and start ordering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Have you thought about spending a little bit more and getting the new 27.5 Heckler? Looks like a killer bike with the new revisions.
    Yeah I thought about it pretty hard. My concern is the 2014's are going for $2600, which is about $900 more. Sure it's a 27.5 bike with some revisions, but that's a lot of cash considering the 26" heckler is a proven bike that will be loads of fun. Trust me, I want to say "take my credit card and swipe it on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would get the frame and build it up. Not only is spec'ing out and building your bike more fun, IMO it's more cost effective in the long run. I'm someone that likes to mod my bikes, so if I get all the parts I want on the bike, the first time around, it saves me money. You also learn how to wrench on the bike while building it, saving you costs at the LBS getting it worked on.

There are so many good deals on the net right now, building a great bike within or just a bit over your budget, that is actually superior to the kit build is possible. For a great set of wheels cheap I would recommend the Hope Hoops with Stans Flow EX. If you're lucky you can pick them up from Wiggle or CRC for under $$350 for the pair. Look for '12 or '11 closeout parts deals too, those are usually the best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    Thank you very much for the response, very insightful especially the deal on the XT build kit. That is an insane deal. The only items I'd see myself swap out right away are grips and seat. The rest I'd upgrade as they wore out. With the estimates you provided I'd be looking at a better bike that is brand new for $200 bucks more. Sounds like I need to pick up that frame and start ordering.
    Sure thing... just make sure you have the right bottom bracket, front derailleur, and headset and you're good to go. Personally, I think looking for deals and building my own "custom" bike is fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Update: I pulled the trigger on the frame and xt build kit that smmokan suggested! Now I'm trying to find a budget wheelset and the suggested wheels seem to be pressing $500 or at least my search has come back with so far has. I came across these xt wheels that are very budget friendly and wanted to see what people thought about them:
    Shimano XT WH-M778 Disc UST Wheels > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What should I be looking for to ensure they're comparability? I see they have 135mm over lock nut which the 6.2 uses.

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You can't beat the price vs quality of this wheel set. Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks DYI01, the question now is what option would you recommend on the drop down? I have no clue what the differences are between them.

I assume some might be better options for style of riding & weight of rider? If that's the case, I am 230 and ride XC with aspirations for more jumping.

****searched and the difference between stans are durability and use. For my size and riding style the flows will work just fine.

Ended up cancelling my frame order and build kit. Costs were stacking up well beyond my original budget to where the 2014 Heckler started making more sense. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Last edited by SmittyPDX; 08-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.