What are you looking at?

New question here. Heckler Brakes/Shifters

Hi fellow cruzers... I'm looking to replace my Shimano LX dual control leavers(they came with the kit I got but I not crazy about them) before the spring rush so what kind of Breaks and shifters should I look for? I was thinking juicy 7's or something like that but I'm open to new ideas. also should I stay with 6 inch rotors or go for the 8's? If I were to get an X.0 rear der. would I need sram shifters(because I don't like the double thumb shifters)?

Thanks for the Help...
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Personally, I like the rapid fire shifters from shimano, these days I think they only come in the LX/XT variety. Now as far as brakes, I have Juicy 7's and I love them thus far. 8" or 6", if you are close to 200lbs, I'd say go for the 8", but if you want bling, go ahead and do the 8 as well - probably not needed though, it really depends upon how much wieght you're trying to stop.

Lastly, you should be able to use Shimano shifters with the X.0

Good luck.

mtbr member

Uuicy 5's and thumbies

I have Juicy 5's which replaced my Hayes. The Hayes had good feel but did not offer the power that the 5's do. I replaced them when I broke my hand and needed one finger braking. I also have Paul Thumbies with Shimano duraace levers. They allow you to go friction if you need to. The only complaint I have with them is that they have a long throw and will freeze up more readily in cold weather due to the cable end not being as secure in the shifter. Plan on putting on some Nokon cables and figuring out a way to plug the cable hole. Whole shifter set up is only 175 grams with really slick shifting.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Hi fellow cruzers... I'm looking to replace my Shimano LX dual control leavers(they came with the kit I got but I not crazy about them) before the spring rush so what kind of Breaks and shifters should I look for? I was thinking juicy 7's or something like that but I'm open to new ideas. also should I stay with 6 inch rotors or go for the 8's? If I were to get an X.0 rear der. would I need sram shifters(because I don't like the double thumb shifters)?

Thanks for the Help...
    Well, shifter and brake preferences are not going to change much from bike to bike, so this is not really a Heckler specific answer. As far as shifters, I love SRAM gripshift, any kind. I've had an 6 year old set of 7.0 shorties (before they were called shorties) that still work perfectly mated to a X:9 rear der. Personally, I can't see spending the $ on an X:0 in light of how short lived a rear der can sometimes be. In any event, if you go with any SRAM rear der (X:7, X:9, X:0), then you will need a SRAM shifter, so if you don't like gripshift or the SRAM style triggers you may want to stick with shimano. Plus you can keep your current rear der.

6 vs 8 rotors? Well, are you wishing you had more powerful brakes? I went from a 6 to an 8 in the front just for kicks, and I actually found them a little too gabby I could have played around with the modulation on my lever (Avid BB7's) but I decided that my 6 was fine and .3 pounds lighter per wheel, so I am back with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSchitt
    ...Lastly, you should be able to use Shimano shifters with the X.0...
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    ...In any event, if you go with any SRAM rear der (X:7, X:9, X:0), then you will need a SRAM shifter, so if you don't like gripshift or the SRAM style triggers you may want to stick with shimano...
    Both of these statements are inaccurate. You can't use Shimano shifters with SRAM X series deraileurs because the cable pull ratio is different.

And SRAM has the rocket series deraileurs (not the X series) that are Shimano shifter compatible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thumbies and Juicy

Hey,

I have owned two Hecklers... Shed first one of XT because I hated rapid fire, loved Sram shifters on the first use. Ride them a couple of times and see if you like them. Plus the Sram company has better customer service...

For the Juicy's, I have had 6, 7, and 8. The 185mm rotor Juicy 7 has been the best so far.

JCH

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

No, you have it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJ

And SRAM has the rocket series deraileurs (not the X series) that are Shimano shifter compatible.
    They have Rocket SHIFTERS (2:1) that are compatable with Shimano DERAILEURS. They do NOT make 2:1 deraileurs, only 1:1 Go look at the Sram website.

What are you looking at?
    Does any one know if I can change my dual control levers with out changing my brakes or derailleurs?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Does any one know if I can change my dual control levers with out changing my brakes or derailleurs?
    Just go to Shimano's website and see if they sell separate levers and shifters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    They have Rocket SHIFTERS (2:1) that are compatable with Shimano DERAILEURS. They do NOT make 2:1 deraileurs, only 1:1 Go look at the Sram website.
    You are correct...I had that backwards. I had shifters in my mind rather than derailleurs. My appologies.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJ
    You are correct...I had that backwards. I had shifters in my mind rather than derailleurs. My appologies.
    No problem, that's what we are all here for

boomer

just ditched the integrated stuff

I myself just went away from the XT integrated shifter/brake combo. I bought some Juicy 5's off eBay and then some Deore shifter pods for $9. It might be because my combo's were 2 years old but I'd swear the Deore's shift crisper than the XT's did. I wanted to go the X9 route but wasn't willing to drop the dime and do it just yet.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yes you can - you can get 'old style' XT hydro levers or deore hydro levers will work with your brakes as well.
    That way you can leave the deraillers on and just get new shifters

What are you looking at?
    Thanks guys I have some rapid fire shifters and new levers on the way.
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher