mtbr member

The Heckler / Blur LT2 comparison combined with a $$$ equation!?!

Hi,
    I want to order a new bike, I am going to do a custom build.

Either a large new Heckler or a large Blur LT2.

Fork will be a 2009 Fox 36 Talas Rc2

Wheels will probably be Bontrager Rhythm Comps
    and the componentry will be a combination of lightness, durability and cost.

Itīll be my DO-it-all bike, I am coming from a pimped out Reign X (which I sold, the frame was too small and it was a bit too much bike, but I really loved it otherwise - I am a believer in those VPP linkages, the Reign pedaled great for itīs travel - but simple single pivots also have they pros, snappy jumping etc.)

Iīd do the same build on the Heckler and on the LT2.

Only difference would be, if I got the Heckler I could spend 250-300$ additionally on the wheelset. Iīd have a really really light/durable wheelset combined with the single pivot.

On the other hand, the LT2 is sad to pedal a lot better.

Whatīs more pedalfriendly. Heckler with uber-bling wheelset
    or the Lt2 with a good wheelset (Bontrager Rhythm Comps or XT hubs on DT5.1d rims)

A LT2 with a super expensive wheelset is TOO much for my budget = impossible.

I am really looking forward to your responses! =)

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    If you are leaning toward the BLT, you can always upgrade the wheels later, when funds allow.
    2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    Well,
    thatīs true.

But here comes the "but": I had a Heckler once and loved it, the single pivot brake jack and pedal feedback on roots during uphills didnīt bother me too much.

And visually, the Heckler is beatiful, while the Blur LT is soso (my oppinion).
    But it gets RAVE reviews here on the board.

I really donīt know if itīs that much better.

But youīre absolutely right. I could get a XT 775/DT Swiss 5.1D wheelset and the difference would almost be the LT2 surcharge.

Hm. I need the experience of someone who had saddle time on both bikes.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I started with Heckler and Blur LT2 in my sights and wondered about a single pivot having had Horst-types. I ended up with neither (Transition Covert), but have no regrets with the single pivot. My point being that I'd not worry about sophisticated suspension design as the end all. I also ended up getting better wheels and fork and I'm very glad of that.

Have fun shopping!

mtbr member
    =)

Thatīs really a good advice, I really like the simplicity of the single pivot and of course, Iīd go with the RP23, for the occasional sprint, Iīd just activate the Pro Pedal.

Iīll for sure got with the 36 Talas.
    Had one before and wouldnīt want to miss out.

Wheelset is to be seen, I could go with the new 2009 Crossmax SX, but Mavic completes seem to be of questionable value (because of the stellar pricetag).

Maybe Iīll just get the girlfriend a new fork and keep my ride more conventional, she rides a 100mm Tora and doesnīt complain, probably because she has never ridden something better, but in the end itīs about riding and not about bling

Greetings Znarf

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Definately have the 36RC2, it's as plush as my old vanilla 36R, it really suits the heckler (and I think the LT2) set at the 130 it does most of my trals at speed and when I get to go down the rough stuff then its up to 160mm.

I have had a set of Crossmax XL's and the new ones are ST's nice wheels, expensive but very quick. For the heckler I went XT splined + 5.1's cheap but dependable.

You cant go wrong with SP, Havent missed 4 bar yet after a year.

mtbr member
    why dont you just save the rc2, get the r, get the lt2 and a better wheelset? solves all problems?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Go BLT2 and upgrade wheels later. You won't regret it. Have you ridden them back to back? For some reason I doubt it because I don't think you would still be wavering.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the responses.

I just ordered a black large Heckler with a RP23.

I just woke up this morning and felt 100% sure, that I want a Heckler.
    I wanted one for the last 4 years, eversince I sold my 2003 Medium Heckler.

Youīre right, Iīve not ridden them back to back, but over here in Germany, even a Heckler is considered absolute premium and they are very rare. No Blur LT2s around here =)

The Heckler may not be the most fancy linkage or whatever, but I really liked it. I love how it jumps and I donīt mind the brake jack etc.

A major deciding factor also is: I LOVE the looks of the Heckler, I really think it is the best looking bike - without question (in my oppinion )

I donīt like the look of the VPP bikes, the Blur LT2 is fine, but I donīt look at it and think, THATS the bike for me.

I believe, that the Blur LT2s suspension action is superior and that it is a fantastic bike - no doubt. I donīt even think it is too expensive - itīs priced competitively.

But for me, at the present time, I want a Heckler

I just hope it arrives soon, our german distributor gave me an estimated waiting time of 8-12 weeks, but maybe theyīll be quicker.

Greetings Znarf

Got A Lust for Life...
    You will love it. I am psyched for you.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Have a good time!

Greetings Znarf