Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heckler blowing through rear travel

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ColinL 
#1 ·
I've got a 2012 Heckler with an RP23 Low Rebound/Low Velocity tune. I weigh 145lbs and currently run the shock at 150lbs. I also just had the seals replaced in this shock thinking that was the issue.

My problem is that even on my local North Florida cross-country trails, I'm blowing through all of the bikes rear travel. What in the heck is going on? I can push the sag indicator directly against the canister, do a quick couple mile loop and the indicator will be push all the way down to the mounting hardware. I've tried the same stretch in firm and open, but I always seem to get through all 150mm. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I've been running my RP23 a few PSI higher than the recommended pressure on my 2012 Blur LT. At recommended settings it doesn't necessarily blow through the travel, but seems too squishy for most rides. The recommendations are just a guide, so increase the PSI by 2-3 before each ride until you find the pressure that feels right.

Also, since you have a low rebound tune on this shock, try increasing the rebound speed. You may be just packing down the shock over successive hits and wallowing around at the end of the travel.

#3 ·
This was always my only gripe with the heckler, and why the APP was such an advantage.

The heckler leverage ratio is regressive, meaning the further into the travel the more mechanical advantage is applied. This makes it easier to bottom, but gives a firmer pedal platform and makes it plush for med sized hits.

The app had a progressive leverage ratio for the 2nd half of the travel. This makes it harder to bottom.

Barring any actual shock issues, some things you can do to improve bottom-out (assuming you have a HV air can):
- Search the forum for rp23 air can shims. You can make these yourself, are easy to install, and let you tune to your hearts content.
- Get the shock pushed and add the big hit kit
- Get a more adjustable shock with high speed compression and a bottom out adjustment.
- Last ditch, just add air and deal with a less active suspension.

#5 ·
Whoa, great information guys! The post referenced on the types of suspensions (linear, progressive, etc) was very information and also confused the hell out of me. Ha!

I'd planned on sending off this shock to PUSH to get a custom tune for my weight, bike and riding style, but the more I start reading about this stuff, the more attarcitve the discounted Nomads seem. I'm starting to think a VPP bike may make all the difference in what I'm after.

Thanks again for the info!

#7 ·
"Blowing through travel" and using all available travel can be different things.
Not uncommon to be able to use all your rear travel even on a moderate trail on 4"-6" travel bikes depending on riding style and suspension set up.
To me, blowing through travel means almost every hit, g-out, turn etc has the shock giving up full travel-regardless of speed and obstacle size.
Using full travel? Depending on speed and body position, I can use full travel on my Nomad going through baby heads or off big drops. I can also not use full travel in the same situations-just depends on impact speed, smoothness, and body position.
I notice that a lot of Heckler riders sit towards the rear of the bike and are well in to their travel/sag just pedaling around.
On the RP23 you don't want to be riding with excessive sag on a Heckler. Too much sag and you'll be too far in to the stroke and every hit will use the remaining travel.
The RP23 is a good shock, but there are tuning options. You might like a medium compression tune and/or a volume reducing spacer in the air can.

How much initial sag on the shock when seated as compared to standing?
Is it possible that you are running too much sag currently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.