mtbr member
    Jul 2007

heckler bearing check

am off for a boys riding weekend in a few weeks and was giving the heckler a bit of post winter maintenance today. as i was checking/regereasing my bb and headset bearings/cleaning drivechiain.... i wondered if i should look at the frame.

my heckler is 16 months old, is not making any creaking noises etc. is it worth taking the rear triangle off and checking/regreasing the bearings or should i just ride and ride till they stuff up so i can get nice new ones under the free replacement on bearings.

is there any other things i should check/regrease in regard to the frame?

cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My Heckler is 15 months old and the bearings collapsed a couple of weeks ago, the LBS had a nightmare of a job getting them out, the centres just fell out so they could not just drift them out with the SC tool, they had to drill the bearing race to allow it to move, so I intend to replace mine at 12months before they go , so at least they can be drifted out with the centre still in place. I bought my own bearings that where sealed both sides 5 each.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    do i have to wait for the bearings to shite themselves first before they replace them? is a replacement per year or only when they completely fail. when you say they collapsed was there any noises beforehand?

cheers

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I would just leave it until after the boys weekend, yes you could take it all apart, but what if they bearings didnt come out properlry? Best just look at them after the ride and you wont be interupted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No noise before hand just started making a clunk I stopped on the trail checked the bike over and found the swing arm was moving in the wrong way, the bearings are covered under warranty but not the fitting and removal, I could not be bothered waiting to send the old ones back and then waiting for new replacements, and paid 10 for a pair from the local bearing supplies. The LBS removed and fitted for 20, so cost me 30.
    I ride 4 times a week 20-30k each ride in all weathers, and had just come back from two weeks riding in the Alps, doing 60k a day over there. Perhaps I was just unlucky. I was told they replace them for life time as long as you own the bike, but it just the bearings and not the labour.

mtbr member
    Dude read my post : New Heckler Swingarm Maintenance

15 month of riding, bearing were ****ed. Now i replace bearing and axle with the propack.
    I lived also a nightmare to get one of them out. It explosed while removing and my neighbour helped me to get it out with an industrial bearing remover tools ! Don't wait, check bearing. If it's missing grease, go and fill it a maximum to prevent water going inside

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Heckler Bearing FUBAR?

And another read of the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The mechanic in my LBS used a carbide tip drill and let rip on the bearing then collapsed the bearing out, drilled it bit by bit until he was through.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    **** some horror stories there. what about taking the rear triangle off though and cleaning/regreasing, not actually taking the bearings out. thre would be no risk there eh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Should be ok just be carefull of the pinch bolts they can easily shear the heads off if you over tighten them according to my LBS

mtbr member
    I had the same issue ! Sticking bearing. I got it out with a universal bearing remover tools from Facom that my neighbour lent me.