Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Heckler BB facing

Had a new front triangle (annodized) and got my lbs to fit the BB something I do myself but thought I'd get them to do this one for a change, they faced and cleaned the threads, just wondering what's the consensus? have heard some do some dont. He took a shaving off to get the xact alignment. Oh and he tweaked the bb dropouts, all tools I would never have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job! To face or not to face?

It is true that some do and some dont. Be the guy who does.

When building a new bike always face the BB shell, Head Tube and brake tabs...always. It is the right thing to do and you should feel good about it.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Cheers, just read a thread on www.singletrackworld.com where a guy has crossthreaded with a new bike and BB so there's a lesson for me there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bad news there for that guy. Unfortunately for him there is no reason for that. When everything is straight, true and clean the BB threads right in by hand nice and smooth. That guy must have gotten rough with it. These things are precision and should be treated as such. When you spend big coin on a frame there is no reason not to finish the job right. Anything less is a disgrace. Yes I take my bikes very seriously. In fact the only thing I let a LBS do for me is facing and chasing. The Chris King facing tool is about $400 and plus if they screw it up then they can replace the frame. If I screw it up I am out of luck. After that I do all assembly myself. My bikes see tons of riding each year and with proper set up and maint they can last a long time. Plus I trust my own work and I have never let myself down yet. I lvoe working on bikes. Do em right and ride them hard. And love on them regularly.