mtbr member

Heckler AIR TO COIL do it or not?

Hi,
    I have a medium Heckler, recently changed from a Pike Sl to a Marzocchi Z1 FR1 with 150mm. And I love the Zocchi and the slacker headangle. The Pike was nice, but felt too linear. The Zocchi just feels much more bottomless and stiffer.

NOW my question. I am using an Manitou Swinger AIR 4 way, which I like actually BUT I gain only 5 inches of travel and not 5.6 inches.(I huck quite a bit, so extra bottom out resistance would be VERY nice) And also I want to go back to coil, because I don´t want to fiddle with air pressure any longer.

I can get Swinger 4 way COIL shocks for very small $$, right eye to eye and more travel(2.25). Wouldn´t even cost me a buck, to get a new one and sell my air shock. BUT how are the Coil 4way swingers on the heckler.

I found almost nothing in the forums about it.

Should be a decent shock I think, more active than the 5th Element coil?

Or should I try to get a DHX coil, but it costs 3 times the price of the swinger, springs are fricken expensive and I am a (quite) poor student?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have the Swinger 4-way coil on my Heckler and find it very plush. Im thinking about going the other way though as Im more of a XC rider and don't get full use out of the coil shock. I also want to try and lighten my bike a little bit, hence im looking for a decent air shock. If your into more aggresive riding I wouldn't think you would go far wrong with the Swinger coil. I've dropped of some reasonably high stuff(for me anyway) 4-5ft, and it felt like as smooth as butter on landing, with lots more travel left in it. Good luck

Mick

mtbr member
    If there was not this big ocean between the USA and Germany, I would just propose to swap our shocks

Because I have what you want and you have what I want

Greetings Znarf

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Hi,
    I have a medium Heckler, recently changed from a Pike Sl to a Marzocchi Z1 FR1 with 150mm. And I love the Zocchi and the slacker headangle. The Pike was nice, but felt too linear. The Zocchi just feels much more bottomless and stiffer.

NOW my question. I am using an Manitou Swinger AIR 4 way, which I like actually BUT I gain only 5 inches of travel and not 5.6 inches.(I huck quite a bit, so extra bottom out resistance would be VERY nice) And also I want to go back to coil, because I don´t want to fiddle with air pressure any longer.

I can get Swinger 4 way COIL shocks for very small $$, right eye to eye and more travel(2.25). Wouldn´t even cost me a buck, to get a new one and sell my air shock. BUT how are the Coil 4way swingers on the heckler.

I found almost nothing in the forums about it.

Should be a decent shock I think, more active than the 5th Element coil?

Or should I try to get a DHX coil, but it costs 3 times the price of the swinger, springs are fricken expensive and I am a (quite) poor student?

Greetings Znarf
    I did the same thing recently. I traded off my Fox FLoat that came on the frame for a 5th Elemtent Coil. Yeah, it is a bit heavier......but the Fox Float did not seem up to the level of abuse that the Boxxer I have installed was.

mtnbikej