mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Heckler + 8.75x2.75 shock + offset bushings = ?

I've got a 2011-12 Heckler that came with a Fox Float CTD evolution shock stock. The shock blew up on me after a ride today. The knob to switch from the CTD modes was loose like a bead on a string and there was oil coming out quickly coating the whole lower part of my bike in nasty-ness. The shock had been routinely undergone maintenance and had actually seen one very recently. Unfortunately, I haven't even ridden the bike for a year and it's already having major issues. I have not yet had the opportunity to call Santa Cruz or Fox about this and hopefully one of them can solve the issue for me and get me rolling again.

Regardless, if it turns out that I will need to send it in and pay a massive amount of money for fixing the shock, which always seemed kinda blah to me and blew through travel quite easily despite having more than enough air pressure. I will likely have to buy a used shock. Looking around it seems like there are very few 8.5x2.5 shock options out there, so I would consider a 8.75x2.75 shock on the bike. Currently, I am using a FOX 36 Float 160mm fork on the front and 180mm XT cranks, so a slightly raised bottom bracket would be fine. But how much would it be raised? I would really like a slacker HA already, so I am also curious about the HA change that would happen with a bigger rear shock? Would it be possible to run a pair of offset bushings to offset any irregularities caused by putting on a longer shock as well?

Thank you!

Pay no mind to us...
    IIRC you would be looking at about a 1 degree steeper head angle, slightly higher bb and an increase in travel from 6" to 6.7" or so in the rear.

The Hecker has enough clearance for something like this. Seems from the Internets that a fair number of people have gone this route, depends on what/where you ride I reckon.

I was in a similar situation (not broken CTD but wanted to try something different) and went 8.5 x 2.5 Roco WC coil and haven't looked back.

You can find Monarch R on places like Ebay, Pinkbike, etc for less than new if you are willing to go that route as well.