mtbr member
    Feb 2006

hecker changes 04-06

Hi there,
    I'm looking at getting myself a hecker, looking at options of new and older models.

[I]"I can get a 06 medium with shock choices of a Fox Float R $999.99, DHX 5 Air $1189.99, or a DHX coil $1099.99. Anodized colors extra. Or brand new from factory 04/05 Santa Cruz Heckler with a choice of a Progressive 5th Element coil(275lb or 300lb spring rates) $849.99, Manitou 4 Way coil(300lb or 350lb spring reates)$849.99, or Manitou 3 Way Air $849.99["/I]

The 04/5 model frames look like a good deal - but I was hoping someone could help me out with a bit of model history. I assume 04/05 frames are the same?
    06 frames seem to be more expensive, so I assume there were some changes or are these just more expensive shocks?
    If there were changes what were they are they work the extra? Can anyone help me out or point me in the direction of where I can find this info? I'm particularly interested if there are any ifferences to rear travel.

eg. will the 3 shocks listed for the 04/05 frame all give the same travel? I am looking at the heckler as an all round trail bike, not huge jumps, am I right in leaning toward the Manitou 3 way air?

Thanks heaps in advance for any adivise.

bob
    mtbr member
    The 05/06 could be more expensive because of a general rise in price, not because of any changes. Or, and more likely, they dropped the price of the 04/05 frames to move them out. I paid $900 for my 03 w/5th coil a few years back.

I would go for an air shock for an all 'round trail bike. My 5th coil performs just fine, but I would love to lose the weight of a coil and the shock has a gazillion different adjustments that I don't need.

I don't have any experience with the Manitou 3 way. Can you get a RP3 on a Heckler?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    The 05/06 could be more expensive because of a general rise in price, not because of any changes. Or, and more likely, they dropped the price of the 04/05 frames to move them out. I paid $900 for my 03 w/5th coil a few years back.

I would go for an air shock for an all 'round trail bike. My 5th coil performs just fine, but I would love to lose the weight of a coil and the shock has a gazillion different adjustments that I don't need.

I don't have any experience with the Manitou 3 way. Can you get a RP3 on a Heckler?
    I also think the DHX offering is a little more expensive than the 5th. I personally like coils (shocks and forks) although they do weigh more. That said, if you are really worried about weight, you'd probably be buying a Blur or Superlight not a Heckler. If you go with the 5th coil, don't go less than 300#. I weigh 160 and just went to a 350# spring and frankly, I could prbably use the 375/400 2" they offer. Ill wait to upgrade to a 2.25" stroke and go up then.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

hecker changes 04-06

Thanks Guys, appreicate the feedback
    If there were no changes ot the frame I thin I'll go with the 04/05. I look into the details of each shock a little further too.
    Thanks again.

Certified Moots Whore...
    namaSSte I have a 2.25 swinger in the classifieds that came off my heckler... comes with a 350 and 450 spring...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

DHX air fit

question: is the 2006 heckler "modified" to fit the new dhx shocks? Or is there no need for this? Meaning, can the 2004-2005 heckler accomodate the dhx shox without any fit issues? the reason i am asking is that i saw a thread in this santa cruz forum which shows a small white heckler 2006 with a dimple in the top tube so that the dhx shox wont hit the frame when compressed.

your enlightenment appreciated.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My 2004/5? medium takes a dhx coil - no dimpling required.

no foolin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Dimple

The new dimple in the Heckler frames is to allow clearence for the DHX Air shock. The DHX Coil fits with not issues at all without the dimple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

hecker changes 04-06

OK, sounds like there is a small change but nothing significant, thanks