mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Has anyone gone 1x10 on SL29 or Tallboy?

Thought Id ask around before going for it, to see if anyone on here has made the conversion I have a 2012 SL29 Rxc. So I want to start doing some upgrades on it and basically would like to try a 1x10 setup cause I never use the small or big ring. I would like to eventually get a fox 120mm fork.

can I just take off the rings on my current crankset, or is it better to buy a new crank set?

just wanted to see what other have done or what I need to look out for.

this is my current set up

REAR SHOCK: Fox Float RL
    FORK: Rock Shox Reba 29er
    REAR DER: Shimano (SLX) 10spd
    FRONT DER: (XT) 10 spdd
    SHIFTERS: Shimano M670 (SLX) 10spd
    CRANKSET: Shimano M552 24/32/42 10spd
    BOTTOM BRACKET:
    CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd
    CHAIN: Shimano HG 74 10spd
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5's w/ 160mm rotors
    BARS: Truvativ low riser 685mm
    STEM: Truvativ 70mm
    GRIPS: Lizard Skin "494"
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 10
    SEAT POST: Truvativ 30.9x375mm
    SADDLE: WTB Volt Race
    WHEELS: WTB i19 TCS rims laced to Shimano M758 front hub (XT) and M678 (SLX) or M 756 (XT) rear hub w/ DT 14 gauge spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
    TUBES: Maxxis .7mm tubes

I am pretty clueless about doing the conversion or doing it myself. Ill probably just take it to the LBS to put it together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Converted my Tallboy LTc to 1x10 with a Wolftooth Components 30t chainring and a Race Face bashring. Bolted right up to my XT cranks. 104 BCD is what you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lots of options but it is a bit more complicated than removing a couple rings.

For 1 x 10 easiest option is just to keep your middle ring 32 and get some short single ring mounting bolts. Or you can replace the outside big ring with a bash guard and keep the same bolts - which is not a bad option if you ride alot of rocky terrain.

A couple things to consider:
    1) You'll need some kind of chain retention device since you're removing the front derailleur. Something like the MRP 1X.
    2) Strongly recommend upgrading your rear derailleur to a shadow plus - this will really help the chain stay on and it is quieter

There are some 1x specific chain rings coming on the market (Race Face and Wolftoothcomponents) these will help with chain retention. If used with a shadow plus (or SRAM type 2) derailleur you may not need the chain guide. Not essential just an option.

I have one bike set as 1 x10 and it is fun. I have to do a lot of standing for big climbs. It is my play bike.

For a multi-hour rides with lots of vertical the granny ring is sure nice to have. You could also consider just replacing the big ring with a bash guard and running 2x10. For trail riding you really don't need the big ring especially on a 29er where the gearing is inherently higher.

If you're at all mechanically inclined I would recommend doing it yourself. You'll learn more about how your bike works and that can only help on the trail. Tinker away.

Warrior's Society
    I recently went 1x9 on my Tallboy. 32x11/34. Shimano XT cranks. E.13 Chainring. MRP 1x Guide.

I normally ride a SS so I rarely used the 22t ring anyway.

You do have to replace the chainring. Any Singlespeed/DH ring will work. Anything without shift ramps and pins. This will also require shorter chainring bolts. Bash guard/ring is not required. You will need some source of chain guide. I like the MRP 1x guide...bottom bracket mount. Simple, clean, light, easy to setup. No dropped chains as of yet.

I also went to a short cage derailluer. The long cage would hve worked, but the short cage allows less chain and helps for a bit quicker shifts.

Haven't missed the bailout gear yet.....have done 35 mile/4000' climb ride and was fine.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the tips
    @ hillharman did you need to buy a chain retention guide or have to change rear derailer
    Do you think it will work with my shimano crankset?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I really like this e13 chaing ring in green..maybe with the mrp1. What do you think
    Guiderings | the hive[rel-238126884]/3/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    Thanks for the tips
    @ hillharman did you need to buy a chain retention guide or have to change rear derailer
    Do you think it will work with my shimano crankset?
    The Wolftooth chainring has the alternating tooth profile (like XX1) that is supposed to obviate the need for a chainguide. I haven't had any chain drops yet, and I'm running without a guide. I have a Shadow Plus XTR rear derailleur. The 104 BCD ring will definitely fit your cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yem999
    Had a TBa and converted to a 1x10 using the stock cranks. Replaced the big ring with a BBG bash and removed the granny. I also installed an Ngear chain catcher. I am currently on a TB LTc with a 1x10, aka cranks with spider replaced by a 30t bling ring. I also have a MRP Lopes guide installed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the recs if anyone wants to throw a pic up of their sick set up
    Post it! It is interesting that companies are coming up with chainrings that
    Are designed to hold the chain with out a guide makes sense.

mtbr member
    Built this up for my wife... Small SL29er

Has anyone gone 1x10 on SL29 or Tallboy?-401870_10101776682146563_939317956_n.jpg
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	401870_10101776682146563_939317956_n.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	799276
    Sharp looking SL29!
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

NedwannaB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	401870_10101776682146563_939317956_n.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	799276
    Did you find the TB in medium was a bit big, or were you set on getting a SL anyway? I'm ~5-7 in cycling shoes and looking at TB but wondering if the med might be a bit gig even tho the range starts at ~5-5. I'm riding 16" 29rs now, TB's are listed as 17".

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Did you find the TB in medium was a bit big, or were you set on getting a SL anyway? I'm ~5-7 in cycling shoes and looking at TB but wondering if the med might be a bit gig even tho the range starts at ~5-5. I'm riding 16" 29rs now, TB's are listed as 17".

Thanks in advance.
    No I was set on the Small for her since she's just 5'4". But I would say you'd be fine with the Med TB since they have such a low standover, as long as the top tube isn't too long for your preference.

Race Reports & Updates

NedwannaB
    No I was set on the Small for her since she's just 5'4". But I would say you'd be fine with the Med TB since they have such a low standover, as long as the top tube isn't too long for your preference.
    Ok thanks. Next question, would you/she rather have a TB over the SL if fit wasn't an issue? They both seem like similar xc bikes if set up same w/100mm fork, just the dif between sp and vpp. And I would imagine the alum models would be pretty close in frame weight too. Have to check.

Again thanks in advance for your info.

mtbr member
    SL frame is a bit lighter than the TBa.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    SL frame is a bit lighter than the TBa.
    A bit being 0.0?#'s??

mtbr member
    A bit being 0.0?#'s??

"The Superlight 29 has geometry that is identical to the Tallboy model. (We reviewed the carbon Tallboy in issue #148 and the aluminum version in issue #161.) Unlike the Tallboy, the Superlight 29 will be offered in a size small, with an impressively low stand-over clearance of 27.2 inches. Frame weight is respectable: 5.9-pounds for a large frame with a custom-tuned Fox Float RL—over a half-pound lighter than the aluminum Tallboy."

Dirtrag article:
    First impression: two new 29er models from Santa Cruz | Dirt Rag Magazine

FWIW, SC has replenished some of their Tallboys on the VPLS sale and have a M TBa with RP23 kashima for 950.00

Santa Cruz Bicycles

NedwannaB
    Wow, 1/2# is quite "a bit"! Thanks for info. Too bad they don't have any SL frames on the sale link.

JMac

mtbr member
    NP. My large SL29 Rxc weighed almost the exact same as my wife's small 2012 juliana Rxc.

Superlight Love

Here's a used SL29 frame for sale:

SANTA CRUZ SUPERLIGHT 29ER. (FRAME) - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Ok thanks. Next question, would you/she rather have a TB over the SL if fit wasn't an issue? They both seem like similar xc bikes if set up same w/100mm fork, just the dif between sp and vpp. And I would imagine the alum models would be pretty close in frame weight too. Have to check.

Again thanks in advance for your info.
    If fit wasn't the issue... for her I would still go with the SL29er over the TBa. Weight is one reason. The other is that the SL29er handled and felt more like the Highball than the TB does. The rear end rides a little higher in the travel and feels a little more "spritely" than the TB does. It is a little more 'xc' than the TB so to speak. She won't put down enough power or push the limits technically to really get into the weaknesses of the single pivot design so it was an easy choice (aside from fit really being the limiter).

Race Reports & Updates

NedwannaB
    If fit wasn't the issue... for her I would still go with the SL29er over the TBa. Weight is one reason. The other is that the SL29er handled and felt more like the Highball than the TB does. The rear end rides a little higher in the travel and feels a little more "spritely" than the TB does. It is a little more 'xc' than the TB so to speak. She won't put down enough power or push the limits technically to really get into the weaknesses of the single pivot design so it was an easy choice (aside from fit really being the limiter).
    Thanks again. Just got some research on the SL being ~.5# lighter than the TB also. Thinking with my parts and looking into Specialized's new beadhook-less style Roval Carbon wheels/SWorks tyres could build up pretty decent. Now for the budget decisions....

Not smart enough to shift
    My wife who's 5' 7.5" fits great on a medium TallboyC. She loves that bike as it replaced a Yeti ASR5. I'm running her's with a 70mm stem and wide (for her) 710 bars. It is built more as a trail bike with a 120 fork, etc.

Here is a picture of my TallboyC with a 1x10 setup. Sorry for the crappy photo...First ride back since a rebuild and was too excited to ride to worry about photos.

Has anyone gone 1x10 on SL29 or Tallboy?-tallboy.jpg

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

NedwannaB
    Thanks for lead but Dang, looks like that's an old ad from Oct. 2012. And the SL Luv link put me in the middle of that hugemungus thread. Was that of your SL29 or the wife's Juliana?

mtbr member
    Thanks for lead but Dang, looks like that's an old ad from Oct. 2012. And the SL Luv link put me in the middle of that hugemungus thread. Was that of your SL29 or the wife's Juliana?
    Talked to the guy on pinkbike less than a month ago, and i think he still had the frame. I believe the ad was posted in March and he is also on here under same user name (see post 711 on SL love thread)

Post #706 on the superlight thread was both of our bikes when i weighed them in the garage. From what I could tell, the SL29 frame is lighter than 26er.

NedwannaB
    Ok. Thanks ATX.