Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Has anybody got their Solos yet?

Just wondering if anyone has received their Solo yet. Looking to see some pictures!
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

Warrior's Society
    Local shop here in the OC got a couple in, and expecting some later this week.....or so I heard.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yep, pedaled one around that same local shop this morning. Very nice!

mtbr member
    Sweet! I hope my LBS gets some in soon....
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anybody got their Solos yet?-photo.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has received their Solo yet. Looking to see some pictures!
    Picked mine up yesterday late. Quick 45 minute ride,

Heavy bike at 28 pounds. Large SPX build. I'll give it several rides and then think about swapping out the tires, stem, and handle bar to drop a couple of pounds. Maybe

I been on a Tallboy Carbon after riding a Blur for several years. I never fell in love with the Tallboy after my long love affair on the Blur. Hope the magic comes back on the Solo.

Nik

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sweet! Won't have mine for another 3 weeks. Hoping to get it down into the 25lb range. Swapping for lighter wheels, tires, handlebar and few other items on a size medium. Those ARE heavy tires. Rode a Bronson two days ago with the same tires and you do notice the weight.

Funny you mention the Blur. I'm still rocking a 23lb Blur XCc most of the time because it's just so fun. Post up some ride reports!

mtbr member
    28# is heavy???

Interested to see how you like the Solo, seems like the perfect all-rounder.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I'm jealous!

I'm wondering if I should give the high-roller II's a shot or switch to the Neo-Moto's that I'm used to. Thoughts?

FWIW - I'm not a weight weenie and I prefer traction over fast rolling. I'm leaning towards giving the stock tires a chance but don't want to sour my experience of getting a brand new bike and having it feel sluggish/heavy due to tires.
    Last edited by sandyeggo; 06-27-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: ninja edit?
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rode a Bronson for a few days with the HRIIs, def a sluggish tire and I did not like it for climbing, those ramped knobs just slipped too much. I would keep the HR on the front, felt awesome there and loved the large volume (for 27 i would want to go as big as possible to actually get a noticeable diff) and prob Ardent rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Got my Solo C today. First ride is Saturday so we will see how it goes. Been on 29ers for a while so it we be inferring going back to smaller wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Got my Solo C today. First ride is Saturday so we will see how it goes. Been on 29ers for a while so it we be inferring going back to smaller wheels.
    You lucky dawg! Let us know how she rides!
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    you get a new bike (the 2nd Solo out in the wild judging by mtbr posts) and dont post a picture?! thats grounds for a banning where I come from!

mtbr member
    Pillowcase party for the offense?

mtbr member

Soon...

soon she will be mine....
    Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo-being-built.jpg

But... to my surprise, did not come with two cage mounts as advertised (at least on this frame)....
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    nice! did it come with the down tube protector like the bronson.
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    nice! did it come with the down tube protector like the bronson.
    It did come with a protector but it looks different than the Bronson (based on the pictures on the website and the quick look I had of the Solo frame).
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    May 2009
    soon she will be mine....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOLO being built.jpg 
Views:	2145 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	811848

But... to my surprise, did not come with two cage mounts as advertised (at least on this frame)....
    Doesn't the downtube protector use the water bottle mounts? My guess is you do have two cage mounts. That's a pretty big selling point for SC bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    Doesn't the downtube protector use the water bottle mounts? My guess is you do have two cage mounts. That's a pretty big selling point for SC bikes.
    Hmm.... you may be onto something. LBS said only one but upon further inspection.. it looks like it may be underneath the protector? See photo below. If under it, how do I access it and keep the protector...
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 3793
Size:  38.6 KB
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I see the cage mounts under the protector. Maybe the protector snaps into the cage mounts? If that's the case, you'll have to make a choice - bottle holder or protector. I'd e-mail SC and see what they say. I'm curious now too.

mtbr member
    Some more pics. Decided to give the High Rollers a shot. First ride tomorrow AM.

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-scsolo1.jpgHas anybody got their Solos yet?-scsolo2.jpgHas anybody got their Solos yet?-scsolo3.jpg
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    May 2005

Can someone post pics of the matte black and show me where the green accents are....

mtbr member
    Some more pics. Decided to give the High Rollers a shot. First ride tomorrow AM.
    ]
    Nice. I love orange bikes. Did you happen to weigh it yet.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    it looks like it may be underneath the protector? See photo below. If under it, how do I access it and keep the protector...
    The Bronsons are the same way. Just get a sharp exacto knife and cut out the holes if you plan to use them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    The Bronsons are the same way. Just get a sharp exacto knife and cut out the holes if you plan to use them.
    Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

28lbs with pedals. R build. Good weight considering the huge tires and relatively heavy wheels. Finally get to ride it today.

mtbr member

Solo Review

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-scsolo5.jpg

About the rider:
    I'm 42 and I've been mountain biking since college (with about 10 years off before I started again 8 years ago). I'm 5'7 and in so-so shape. In my group of riding buddies I'm not the fastest, but not the slowest. Average length of my rides are 10-15 miles). I ride mostly cross country-ish trails in the midwest (St. Louis area) and I generally keep the wheels on the ground. I don't race (but have done a race or two for fun). I got the Solo because it was time for a new full suspension bike and I wanted a "fun" all around bike. The Solo will be more bike than I need or will likely ever need and I'm perfectly fine with that. :-)

In the last 3 years I've been on several 29er hardtails (both single speed and geared) and my main ride last year (from May 2012 to now) was a Cannondale Rush running 650b. So I've put in many miles on all 3 wheelsizes.

I've had two rides on the Solo (30 miles) on a trail that I ride most often (combination of smooth single track, rocky/rooty single track, fireroad, and loose gravel).

The good:
    The Solo is a blast to ride. It is a real trail ripper and just plain carves the single track. Fast on the flats, great climber and a blast coming down. The first ride I left it in trail mode the entire time. I felt no noticeable bob - even standing up on a fire road climb. Trail mode made for a real stable pedaling platform. The 2nd ride I put it in Descending mode and could feel some bobbing standing on fire road but it wasn't horrible. I also gave the Climb mode a try on the second day -- in Climb mode it felt incredibly stable on the uphill fire road. Trail mode on the downhill felt fine and similar to my 100mm travel Rush. When I tried it in Descend mode, it felt really plush and a pleasure to ride on the downhills. A buddy of mine has the TBLT and keeps his in Trail mode always. I could totally see that as it rides great in Trail mode but I did like the feel of Descend mode for well... descending.

It is what I call "easy to ride". What I mean by that is it a) took me all of 5 minutes to get used to it; and b) it just does what I want it to do with no surprises.

I debated on whether or not I wanted to give the stock High Roller II's a shot or not. In the end, I decided to see how they are. The grip on the front was fantastic and confidence inspiring (like the Solo - so how much is attributed to the bike vs. the tire, I don't know). The grip on the back while cornering or going off camber was great but it did seem to want to spin out when applying power on uphill climbs on loose rock. They were good enough that I'm not eager to change them out. (Note: only other 650b tire I've used is the Pacenti Neo Moto - still my favorite).

I was a bit worried about the WTB Volt saddle as it looked uncomfortable (I like the Rocket V and Pure V saddles). After my first two rides, I gotta say I'm pleased. It is far more comfortable than I thought and I didn't need any time to get used to it.

I know looks are very subjective, but the mountain rescue orange is stunning in person. Bright yes, but man it is beautiful. I had originally ordered the matte grey because I'm not the kind of person who wants to stick out in a crowd but I am very pleased I went with the orange.

The not-as-good:
    I have found nothing "bad" about the bike, so these are things that are just not-as-good.

The low-bottom bracket (which helps it carve) has caused more pedal strikes than I would like. However, I experienced less pedal strikes on my 2nd ride so I may just need a little time to adjust. The other factor is that my Rush has 170mm length cranks vs. the 175mm on the Solo (I'm not sure how much 5 difference really makes though). If it remains an issue, I'll give a 170mm crank a try.

The stock wheelset/tire combo is fairly heavy but I didn't get the feeling I was being held back or that it was weighing me down. While I do want to upgrade the wheelset, I have no issues running the stock wheelset until I upgrade.

This is my first experience with a Fox fork. My previous fork experiences are limited to a Rockshox Recon, Rockshox Reba, and a number of Lefties. On my first two rides I did not get anywhere close to the full travel (even in climb mode) - that may be because I didn't hit any gnar or get a lot air, or perhaps it needs to break in. It also seems to be a bit stiff/not smooth (less so than the Reba, but way more stiff than the Lefty which is smooth like butta). Again, nothing that makes me yearn to switch forks - but nothing to make me want to rank it above any of my Lefties.

A word on the wheel size:
    I've put many miles on all three wheel sizes in the last couple of years. For me personally, 650b is the shiznit. It has some of the rollover/stability attributes of the 29er and the playfulness of the 26er. Overall, it feels much closer to the 26 than the 29 to me. While very popular on the trails I frequent (and naturally so given the type of trails), I never could get comfortable on a 29er - they just felt "big". The 650b doesn't make the 26er feel "small" but in my experience, the 650b improvement of rollover is very noticeable. In order of preference for me: 650b, 26er, 29er.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks for the review. About not using full travel, I'd adjust your air pressure based on sag, not on the recommended PSI. On my Blur I found the stock recommended setting on both the fork and shock to be way too firm on anything except for big hit stuff. I find that 30-35% sag is a better setting for typical trail riding.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hmm nice review now mine have not arrived yet but i am worried about the low BB on my home trail which has a lot of roots and rocks on a technical uphill with tight sbacks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGREGOR View Post
    Hmm nice review now mine have not arrived yet but i am worried about the low BB on my home trail which has a lot of roots and rocks on a technical uphill with tight sbacks.
    I didn't mean to over-emphasize the pedal strike issue. It wasn't to the point of me being disappointed with it -- it was just something I noticed and it seemed to be happening less as time went on.

Is the 13.1 BB height lower than what you currently ride?
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Nice, thanks for the review. About not using full travel, I'd adjust your air pressure based on sag, not on the recommended PSI. On my Blur I found the stock recommended setting on both the fork and shock to be way too firm on anything except for big hit stuff. I find that 30-35% sag is a better setting for typical trail riding.
    Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try if it continues to feel on the stiff side.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride a 2010 gary fischer superfly 100 29er, i dont know the exact measurements on it and dont have peal strikes on my trail but it is def not a bike for the technical trail i ride more often since it is a pure XC bike thats why i bought the Solo, btw it is odd but i tried a SC Tallboy LTC yesterday and I had a lot more pedal strikes on that one than on the Superfly...... I was between the Bronson and the Solo, but since i am a poor climber i decided on the Solo with XTR/ENVE kit.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The pedal strike issue does concern me a bit. I have a Tallboy and a TRc, and although the BB heights are listed as pretty much the same (13.0 and 13.1", respectively), I think the TRc has a lower sagged BB height since I tend to get more pedal strikes and bash ring hits on it. Putting 650b wheels on the TRc helped reduce the pedal strikes without adversely affecting handling.

I put my 650b TRc up for sale so I could "upgrade" to a Solo, mainly to be able to fit fatter tires and hoping for more pedaling efficiency with the new VPP design, but the BB height is somewhat of a concern. The other issue is that a new Solo will probably cost twice as much as I can get for my TRc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The low bb is great for handling, but the trade-off is increased pedal strikes. Just how much of a trade-off it is really depends on technique as much (if not more) than where you ride. Some people are happy to adapt regardless of terrain and others, not so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    The low bb is great for handling, but the trade-off is increased pedal strikes. Just how much of a trade-off it is really depends on technique as much (if not more) than where you ride. Some people are happy to adapt regardless of terrain and others, not so much.
    I dislike pedal strikes but I'm happy to deal with it/adapt because the Solo just plain carves and is so much fun overall. And like I said before, it wasn't excessive - I just noticed it happened more than I like and seemed to be less of an issue on the second ride (on the same trail).

Stupid weather here is keeping me from getting my third ride and it is making me moody. I can't to ride her again!
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I dislike pedal strikes but I'm happy to deal with it/adapt because the Solo just plain carves and is so much fun overall. And like I said before, it wasn't excessive - I just noticed it happened more than I like and seemed to be less of an issue on the second ride (on the same trail).
    You do get used to it and adapt somewhat. I've had my TBc for 2 years, and I love it. My only complaint has been the low BB for technical/rocky trail riding. I still get occasional pedal strikes, but I find that I instinctively adjust my pedal stroke to avoid them more often now. The BB height of my 650b-converted TRc seems to be at the sweet spot for the trails I ride -- fewer pedal strikes in the rocks, but is still stable and totally rails the turns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    You do get used to it and adapt somewhat. I've had my TBc for 2 years, and I love it. My only complaint has been the low BB for technical/rocky trail riding. I still get occasional pedal strikes, but I find that I instinctively adjust my pedal stroke to avoid them more often now. The BB height of my 650b-converted TRc seems to be at the sweet spot for the trails I ride -- fewer pedal strikes in the rocks, but is still stable and totally rails the turns.
    By chance do you know the actual bb height of your TRc with 26 and 27.5"? Curious to know the actual difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    By chance do you know the actual bb height of your TRc with 26 and 27.5"? Curious to know the actual difference.
    If you search this forum for 650b TRc, you'll find some actual measurements that people have provided, usually about 13.3 to 13.4" with 650b. I don't have a measurement with the 26" wheels. With the 27.5x2.25 Nobby Nics and 130mm fork I measure about 13.3", so it's still pretty low even after the 650b conversion.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 5'7" as well with 29 inseam. What size did you go with ? Stem/rise?

Name:	scsolo5.jpg 
Views:	2151 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	812713

About the rider:
    I'm 42 and I've been mountain biking since college (with about 10 years off before I started again 8 years ago). I'm 5'7 and in so-so shape. In my group of riding buddies I'm not the fastest, but not the slowest. Average length of my rides are 10-15 miles). I ride mostly cross country-ish trails in the midwest (St. Louis area) and I generally keep the wheels on the ground. I don't race (but have done a race or two for fun). I got the Solo because it was time for a new full suspension bike and I wanted a "fun" all around bike. The Solo will be more bike than I need or will likely ever need and I'm perfectly fine with that. :-)

In the last 3 years I've been on several 29er hardtails (both single speed and geared) and my main ride last year (from May 2012 to now) was a Cannondale Rush running 650b. So I've put in many miles on all 3 wheelsizes.

I've had two rides on the Solo (30 miles) on a trail that I ride most often (combination of smooth single track, rocky/rooty single track, fireroad, and loose gravel).

The good:
    The Solo is a blast to ride. It is a real trail ripper and just plain carves the single track. Fast on the flats, great climber and a blast coming down. The first ride I left it in trail mode the entire time. I felt no noticeable bob - even standing up on a fire road climb. Trail mode made for a real stable pedaling platform. The 2nd ride I put it in Descending mode and could feel some bobbing standing on fire road but it wasn't horrible. I also gave the Climb mode a try on the second day -- in Climb mode it felt incredibly stable on the uphill fire road. Trail mode on the downhill felt fine and similar to my 100mm travel Rush. When I tried it in Descend mode, it felt really plush and a pleasure to ride on the downhills. A buddy of mine has the TBLT and keeps his in Trail mode always. I could totally see that as it rides great in Trail mode but I did like the feel of Descend mode for well... descending.

It is what I call "easy to ride". What I mean by that is it a) took me all of 5 minutes to get used to it; and b) it just does what I want it to do with no surprises.

I debated on whether or not I wanted to give the stock High Roller II's a shot or not. In the end, I decided to see how they are. The grip on the front was fantastic and confidence inspiring (like the Solo - so how much is attributed to the bike vs. the tire, I don't know). The grip on the back while cornering or going off camber was great but it did seem to want to spin out when applying power on uphill climbs on loose rock. They were good enough that I'm not eager to change them out. (Note: only other 650b tire I've used is the Pacenti Neo Moto - still my favorite).

I was a bit worried about the WTB Volt saddle as it looked uncomfortable (I like the Rocket V and Pure V saddles). After my first two rides, I gotta say I'm pleased. It is far more comfortable than I thought and I didn't need any time to get used to it.

I know looks are very subjective, but the mountain rescue orange is stunning in person. Bright yes, but man it is beautiful. I had originally ordered the matte grey because I'm not the kind of person who wants to stick out in a crowd but I am very pleased I went with the orange.

The not-as-good:
    I have found nothing "bad" about the bike, so these are things that are just not-as-good.

The low-bottom bracket (which helps it carve) has caused more pedal strikes than I would like. However, I experienced less pedal strikes on my 2nd ride so I may just need a little time to adjust. The other factor is that my Rush has 170mm length cranks vs. the 175mm on the Solo (I'm not sure how much 5 difference really makes though). If it remains an issue, I'll give a 170mm crank a try.

The stock wheelset/tire combo is fairly heavy but I didn't get the feeling I was being held back or that it was weighing me down. While I do want to upgrade the wheelset, I have no issues running the stock wheelset until I upgrade.

This is my first experience with a Fox fork. My previous fork experiences are limited to a Rockshox Recon, Rockshox Reba, and a number of Lefties. On my first two rides I did not get anywhere close to the full travel (even in climb mode) - that may be because I didn't hit any gnar or get a lot air, or perhaps it needs to break in. It also seems to be a bit stiff/not smooth (less so than the Reba, but way more stiff than the Lefty which is smooth like butta). Again, nothing that makes me yearn to switch forks - but nothing to make me want to rank it above any of my Lefties.

A word on the wheel size:
    I've put many miles on all three wheel sizes in the last couple of years. For me personally, 650b is the shiznit. It has some of the rollover/stability attributes of the 29er and the playfulness of the 26er. Overall, it feels much closer to the 26 than the 29 to me. While very popular on the trails I frequent (and naturally so given the type of trails), I never could get comfortable on a 29er - they just felt "big". The 650b doesn't make the 26er feel "small" but in my experience, the 650b improvement of rollover is very noticeable. In order of preference for me: 650b, 26er, 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    I'm 5'7" as well with 29 inseam. What size did you go with ? Stem/rise?
    I went with the medium and stock stem. I was a bit worried as I was on the very low end of the medium (on the fitting scale thingy) and I generally like a smaller bike, but I'm glad I went with the medium - it fits me well.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's your inseam?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    What's your inseam?
    My inseam is 28
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Are the framesets available yet? Also, on the SC website it says that the Solo has 125mm fork, but I cant find any 650B forks with 125mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Frame sets will be available around Sept.
    The fork is 130mm. It's a 140mm Fox with an internal spacer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good review!

mtbr member

Review Update

I've ridden the Solo several more times since my initial review and have slightly more than 100 miles on it so I thought I'd do a quick update (and an excuse to post another picture, of course).

Changes:
    - Went from the Maxxis High Rollers to my favorite tire: Pacenti Neo Moto (running 2.3 front and rear).

- Went to a 1 x 10 using the WolfTooth (32t) chainring and changed to SLX cranks (170mm)

- Changed to Canfield Crampon pedals.

Updated review:
    No surprise, but I'm still loving the Solo and even more so with the changes. The Solo continues to perform well and has been a total blast. I'm doing the descents faster than ever and the additional speed I'm carrying isn't noticeable due to how good the handling is on the bike. From my first review, I felt the Fox fork was a little stiff but I lowered the pressure as advised and it has greatly improved.

No changes in my initial review of how well this bike pedals. I mostly keep the front in "descend" mode and the rear in "trail" mode. This feels like a good combination for the trails I ride (I do switch it up for long climbs or long descents).

The changes to the tires and the switch to 1 x 10 has lightened up the bike a bit. While not a weight weenie, my desire to get some lighter wheels has increased after feeling how light my buddy's TBLTc feels in comparison (granted, he's got it blinged out). That said, it is not a heavy bike by any means and certainly doesn't feel that way while riding it.

I'm still liking the WTB volt seat and have no plans for changing it. The XT brakes are the best brakes I've owned. Strong, good modulation, and quiet.

The shorter cranks and thin pedals have all but eliminated any pedal strikes.

The WolfTooth chainring is just plain fantastic. I've had 3 rides on it and 0 chain drops with no sort of chainguard (granted, nothing super rocky here where I ride). And better... with the clutch engaged chainslap is nearly eliminated and the drivetrain is nearly as quite and smooth as my single speed. It is hard to describe, but it actually "feels" (sounds?) like a single speed except I can switch gears when my out of shape legs need some relief, lol. I highly recommend a WolfTooth chainring if you are considering a 1 x 9/10 and don't have the bank for XX1.

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-photo-3.jpgHas anybody got their Solos yet?-photo-4.jpg
    Last edited by sandyeggo; 07-17-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Has anybody got their Solos yet?-wolftooth.jpgVery nice. Is that a 32t chain ring?

I have a 30t Wolf Tooth on my 1x10 hardtail (using an XT Shadow+ derailleur), and it works great. Like you said -- smooth, silent, and no dropped chain.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Is that a 32t chain ring?

I have a 30t Wolf Tooth on my 1x10 hardtail (using an XT Shadow+ derailleur), and it works great. Like you said -- smooth, silent, and no dropped chain.
    Yes - its a 32t. I went with that tooth count only because it is what my middle ring was and that was the ring I spent nearly all my time on.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine just got his raw Solo this week. He's selling the OEM WTB/DT wheelset if any of you need a set.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my Solo on Tuesday. So far so good. Just need to decide on what wheels and tires to run. Currently running the stock setup and they are pretty heavy. The High Roller II is a nice front tire (but not as good as my old Hans Dampfs), but a pig in the back. Currently weighs just a tick under 27 lbs.Has anybody got their Solos yet?-img_1493.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just picked up my Solo too. First real ride tomorrow. SPX kit upgraded with Stan's Arch EX rims, carbon bar, Ardent tires and XTR pedals. Orange paint is flawless and simply stunning. Ride report to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo2.jpg  

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo3.jpg  

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo4.jpg  

mtbr member
    The orange is indeed stunning. I haven't seen any photos yet that really do it justice compared to seeing it in person.

Has anyone seen an aluminum frame version on the streets yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Just picked up my Solo on Tuesday. So far so good. Just need to decide on what wheels and tires to run. Currently running the stock setup and they are pretty heavy. The High Roller II is a nice front tire (but not as good as my old Hans Dampfs), but a pig in the back. Currently weighs just a tick under 27 lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	817282
    Nice build. What wheels did you decide on or are you still deciding?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2009

Ride Report

First ride today, 3 hours and 4k feet of climbing. The Solo has exceeded my expectations - it is an agile and incredibly fun bike to ride.

I am running the SPX (XT) kit with a 60mm stem, Stans Arch EX rims, carbon bars, XTR pedals and tubeless Ardent (non-EXO) tires. I was a little reluctant to go with the Ardent up front, but in the 650b size with low psi it really comes alive. I will definitely be keeping them on the bike for our local trails. The triple chain ring works great for our trails too, with lots of steep climbs, a few rollers, and lots of extended downs.

The test ride was at Skeggs in Norcal, hitting lots of singletrack (Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution, the Leafs, etc) and some fire road climbs. I know its sounds clichéd, but I found the Solo has the agility of a 26er and some of the rollover ability of a 29er. I was blasting thru sections and clearing obstacles that would hang me up on my 26ers.

Compared to the Bronson which I have also ridden, the Solo climbs better, turns quicker and accelerates faster. However, the Bronson was running heavier wheels and High Roller tires so the comparison is not really apples to apples. The Bronson did seem to have a bottomless suspension and is clearly more at home on AM trails.

I ran the Solo mostly in "descend" mode and found it a blast to ride this way. I had the suspension dialed in and was getting 90% plus travel from both fork and shock. I don't like switching modes much, so I ran the "descend" mode even on the long fire road climbs and noticed no bob while seated. I would say it climbs almost as well as my 100mm Blur XCc (which is the best climbing FS bike I've ever ridden). Standing climbs definitely benefit from the "trail" mode and of course using the "climb" mode gives the Solo a hardtail like feel.

The Solo took very little time to get adjusted to. I could immediately notice the larger wheels and the improved rollover ability compared to a 26er. Within an hour of riding, I was flicking and hucking the bike around more than I ever could on my XCc or hardtail. I think the larger wheels, dialed suspension and resulting faster speeds are a big part of that experience. I had no issues whatsoever with the low BB, but I am accustomed to riding bikes with lower BBs than the Solo.

All in all, just a really efficient, agile and fun bike to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody got their Solos yet?-picture5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Nice build. What wheels did you decide on or are you still deciding?
    Thanks. I have a set of i9 Torch Trails with green hubs on order. Will run them with a 2.25 Rocket Ron in the back and 2.25 Nobby Nic up front. Also going to run some green carbon RaceFace Next 3/4" Riser 725 mm bars and a RF Turbine 60 mm stem. The current Haven bars and stem will go on another bike. Everything else will stay the same. I think.

mtbr member

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	719 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	816687
    Could you please tell me if those are the Gold or Orange Crampons?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike and a great report, thanks Fiendbear. I think your points are spot on. There is something extra to be had with 27.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I really like the orange, but I'll probably go with the boring/stealthy black since I prefer to not draw attention to my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama Arashi View Post
    Could you please tell me if those are the Gold or Orange Crampons?

Thank you.
    They are the gold ones.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I really like the orange, but I'll probably go with the boring/stealthy black since I prefer to not draw attention to my bike.
    All my bikes are either black or dark colors too. I broke with tradition in getting the orange Solo. It helped that the wife loved the orange (always a plus ). I could have gone either way. The black is really stealthy - even the SC name is darkened. No one will give it a second look if that's what you want. The orange is instantly recognizable and screams new 650b bike. I just want to ride...

The Next 100 Miler
    I was originally told Santa Cruz would receive the aluminum bikes on July 14th and they would ship to dealers within a few days. Here we are on the 26th and no word on where the bikes are. Getting frustrated now!

mtbr member
    You and me both.

I was originally told the 18th, then it was updated to the 20th.

Some bikes were shipped to my dealer on wednesday, but I'm still waiting to hear if my bike was in the shipment.

Cruz sent me this on July 10th: "Solo Aluminum complete bikes are shipping now. Availability may vary based on when your order is placed. Contact your local SCB dealer for the most accurate info."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A couple of weeks ago I asked about the X01 kit availability and was told it would be about 10 days, so they should be available now. However, my dealer said that SC wouldn't have any more SOLOc frames for another 4 to 6 weeks.

The Next 100 Miler
    My Solo hasn't shown up yet, but my dealer was kind enough to call me as soon as their demo bike showed up and let me be the first to use it. This is an R build and mine will be SPX.

Just back from a first ride and the bike is everything I hoped for! Very nice ride, climbs well and moves through the rocky technical stuff much better than a 29.

I'm not a bike guru, but my instincts say that 650 is going to be the size of the future. You get the benefits of the larger wheel, but don't give up the handling in tighter corners or technical sections.

Only white frames are available in aluminum for now, orange is a few months off.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody got their Solos yet?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Only white frames are available in aluminum for now, orange is a few months off.
    Was this detail provided by your dealer?

I'm *expecting* my orange aluminum bike this week. Ordered on June 21st.

The Next 100 Miler
    Was this detail provided by your dealer?

I'm *expecting* my orange aluminum bike this week. Ordered on June 21st.
    Yes, dealer. I changed my order to white so I could get mine sooner. I ordered on 6/26.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I'm waiting for a call back today as to the status, but last I was told (mid-last week) was that my orange alum was on the floor at Cruz and just waiting to be packaged up and shipped.

Hearing September for any Solos ordered now, regardless of the frame material.

mtbr member
    SC just verified that orange aluminum framed Solos ordered in mid-late June are shipping around this time.

Availability and wait times are constantly changing of course, but anything ordered now is possibly a couple months out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As Tom Petty sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So is everyone that has a solo good with the Fox 32 stiffness? I'm sort of thinking along the lines of going with a Fox 34 and shims to bring the travel down to 130mm. I guess coming from a fox 36 - I really appreciate a stiff front end. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkobe View Post
    So is everyone that has a solo good with the Fox 32 stiffness? I'm sort of thinking along the lines of going with a Fox 34 and shims to bring the travel down to 130mm. I guess coming from a fox 36 - I really appreciate a stiff front end. Thoughts?
    The Fox 32 is plenty stiff for me. But then again I'm only 140lbs geared up, so a Fox 34 would be overkill especially with only 130mm of travel. I could see the benefits in longer travel forks or with really heavy riders though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'l offer my 2c's here on forks. I demo'd a TRc a long time ago, really really liked it. Bought a frame, and lowered my 36 to 140mm. Result? Makes a really great bike freakin amazing - can't tell you how much I love this thing.

I demo'd a solo a few weeks ago - really liked a lot about it, but I decided that if I went with one, there is no way I'd ride a 32. The stiffness and damping in the 36 is amazing, slackens it a bit, raises the BB slightly, stiffens the font end, and makes it pretty much the best of all worlds whenever I'm riding. If you are the type of rider who is thinking about going with a beefier fork, you should probably do it!

mtbr member
    Crappy pic sent to me by my dealer. Will be picking it up tomorrow, as we're waiting on the KS LEV dropper.

Bike shipped with some incorrect components, at least according to the kit list on Cruz's site.

Does anyone have any clue which Shimano crank just says Shimano with nothing else on it?

mtbr member
    those are deore cranks, not XT deore. If you got the R kit, those are the correct cranks
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Yes, it is the R kit. I was just expecting the cranks to be Deore labeled.

It also shipped with Avid Elixir 5 brakes instead of Deore, and it came with an XT front derailleur. The shifters are unmarked as well, which are supposed to be/have been SLX.

Thus far, I've had the headset changed to a Cane Creek 40, and replaced the Avid brakes with SLX.

mtbr member
    My r 13 super light 29 came this way
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Finally

mtbr member
    Love the orange

The Next 100 Miler
    Beautiful, congratulations!

Still no word on mine.

mtbr member
    Looks sharp would really like to ride 1 as I think the geometry sounds almost perfect
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    just got mine tonight! Can't wait to take her out tomorrow

mtbr member
    First ride tonight. I don't really know what to say other than I have absolutely no complaints. It absolutely railed the trails. I'm in Arizona, where there are plenty of rocks, and I didn't have a single pedal strike with the 'low' BB height, using Canfield Crampons.

The High Roller II's do have a noticeable rolling resistance, but the only time it 'bothered' me was on flat paved/concrete surfaces. They almost have too much traction, if there is such a thing, in real soft stuff like sandy washes - just feels like the tire really wants to be pulled in either direction. It's nothing I consider a problem with these tires - more just getting accustomed to them after coming off of Ardents comparatively.

I prefer the shocks, at least with their current pressure, on the trail settings both front and rear. Took some minor jumps as well as inclined 3-4 foot drops to mostly flat, and the bike handled it with ease. In the trail mode on the drops, it was using around 75% of the travel, and around 90% in descend.

I've seen some people here on the forum raise concerns about the stiffness of the 32 Floats, but I sure as hell didn't notice anything that felt 'noodly' whatsoever.

Great first ride, and the bike has met all my expectations. I was a little concerned about 'only' 5 inches of travel, but it seems more than capable of handling anything that I'll put it through.

Thank you for the kind words and compliments.
    Last edited by Yama Arashi; 08-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the ride report and the info about your preferred shock settings.

For me, 5" of travel is a lot. I rode only hardtails from the 80's until just a few years ago, and currently alternate between a hardtail 29er and a 4" travel 29er, so I have no concern about 'only' 5".

I do like the orange.

mtbr member

I've seen some people here on the forum raise concerns about the stiffness of the 32 Floats, but I sure as hell didn't notice anything that felt 'noodly' whatsoever.

Beautiful bike. Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I'd be one of those with concerns about the 32 forks (Especially Fox 32). I don't have any concerns about 120mm rear travel however. Glad to hear they seem ok to you so far. What kind of terrain do you ride?

I just saw Competitive Cyclist had Fox 34 TALAS on sale for like $550. I wonder how that would work running it in 120 most of the time then raising it up to 150mm for steeper, rockier descents. I really dislike flexy forks. Of course I haven't been super impressed with TALAS forks in general over the years. Anyone doing that?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Beautiful bike. Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I'd be one of those with concerns about the 32 forks (Especially Fox 32). I don't have any concerns about 120mm rear travel however. Glad to hear they seem ok to you so far. What kind of terrain do you ride?
    If you aren't already familiar with some of the Phoenix Area trails, you can Google/Youtube South Mountain (Desert Classic, Mormon Loop, National Trail Waterfall) Papago Park (Phoenix/Tempe), and Hawes/Usery in East Mesa.

The trails can be quite varied. I rode Papago and a little bit of South Mountain late yesterday afternoon and into the night. I plan to hit some of the more rugged parts of South Mountain tomorrow and will see how it holds up.

Aside from not noticing any flex yesterday, thinking the shock/fork are quite dialed in, I'm curious about running a beefier fork myself. Moreso due to habit probably, and just preferring stuff to be more heavy duty. I ride a Bronson on these same trails, and really didn't notice any performance difference between the two different forks, but keep in mind yesterday was my first real ride on the Solo/32's. In your opinion, do you find Fox forks to be flexy in general, or is it more about the stanchion size?

Still making changes and additions to the bike. I'm sure I'll change out the basic stem, bars, cranks and wheels at some point, but it's not a priority right now.

Current:
    Float 32 Kashima
    Float CTD Kashima
    SLX brakes, shifters and Shadow Plus rear derailleur
    SLX cassette
    XT front derailleur
    Deore crank
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals
    Race Face Ride stem (80mm) and bars (710mm)
    Lizard Skins Moab lock-ons
    Crank Brothers Iodine 3 saddle
    KS LEV 125mm dropper
    Maxxis High Roller II's tubeless
    WTB ST i23 TCS rims
    Last edited by Yama Arashi; 08-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, pretty familiar with phoenix trails. There's definitely some worthy chunk there to test forks.
    On the several rides I've had on fox 32 forks I just haven't been that impressed with the stiffness (although I wouldn't call them noodly) and fairly disappointed in the damping characteristics.

I own a float 36 160 RLC FIT with tapered steer tube and really like the low weight and stiffness (not super impressed with the damping). I just really like a stiff fork so wondered if the 34 120/150 Talas might be a goo option for the Solo. Perhaps on most of the trails I'd be riding a Solo on the 32 would be fine.

I plan on riding a Solo at interbike next month so I'll get a chance to see how the 32 handles the bootleg trails.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Currently weighs just a tick under 27 lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	817282
    So that's the stock XX1 kit? That is kinda heavy.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Baby Bear is in the house
    I went with the medium and stock stem. I was a bit worried as I was on the very low end of the medium (on the fitting scale thingy) and I generally like a smaller bike, but I'm glad I went with the medium - it fits me well.
    What's the stock stem length? Or can you pick?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

b a n n e d
    . . . I ride a Bronson on these same trails . . .
    So wait, you have a Bronson and a Solo?

I'm curious why for one thing, but also which type of trails each bike excels at. In other words, where do you take each bike?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Has anyone who has a lot of experience on a trc or something similar ridden a solo? What are the noticeable differences? Are you climbing hills faster than ever or setting new records when defending... Can you notice the weight difference? You are probably coming off something that is sub 25 lbs which is light and now on a solo which will be around 27 lbs? That to me seems like its getting into the beefy category.

Has anyone gone to or considering a longer fork yet like a 140?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

I'm curious why for one thing, but also which type of trails each bike excels at. In other words, where do you take each bike?
    +1!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers View Post
    Has anyone who has a lot of experience on a trc or something similar ridden a solo? What are the noticeable differences? Are you climbing hills faster than ever or setting new records when defending... Can you notice the weight difference? You are probably coming off something that is sub 25 lbs which is light and now on a solo which will be around 27 lbs? That to me seems like its getting into the beefy category.
    I'm wondering the same thing from an x TRc rider, especially those that 650b them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    So that's the stock XX1 kit? That is kinda heavy.
    No, I bought the SPX AM kit, but upgraded some of the parts, such as the XX1 drivetrain. My LBS was really good about helping me build the exact bike that I wanted without having the option of purchasing a frame on its own.

Since my original post, I have switched the tires out to a Rocket Ron in the back and a Nobby Nic in the front. Currently weighs 25 lbs. Will probably go with a set of i9 Torch Trails and keep the WTB i23s/High Roller IIs as a backup set. This should get it down to around 24 pounds. Not too bad for a very capable bike with a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    +1!!!
    I don't own the Bronson. It's a carbon frame with an XT build, that I've put about 800 miles on, but I am contemplating getting an aluminum version. Why? No clue, other than why not?

I don't really know what I can say that won't sound like a broken record from other reviews, or even my own previous posts.

In my opinion, these two bikes are *very* similar, and the things that stand out most between the two are easily surmised from the specs, namely: the Bronson is slacker by 1 degree, it has a half inch higher bottom bracket, and has an inch more travel with a stouter fork.

As far as how that relates to my own experience, I just see the Bronson as a bomber, that is a bit more confidence inspiring on more gnarly terrain and downhills. That 1 degree is noticeable, and the Bronson takes that stuff a bit better. I don't have to be as particular with my lines, and feel like it just rolls over stuff a tad better, especially at speed on more technical downhills. The bob in the rear shock is a lot more noticeable as well when digging in.

With the Solo, I have to choose my lines a bit more carefully with the burlier stuff (mainly so I'm not smashing my crankset or pedals) and really make sure I'm in a perfect position on the bike, but I haven't done anything on the Bronson I haven't been able to do on the Solo thus far. As has been said, the Solo pedals and climbs better, and I've really got to dig in to take any real notice of bobbing. The Solo also carves better - it just rails the turns and banks. I do notice some fork dive here and there when it's set to descend and I'm braking hard, but the only time I set it to such is when it's getting fast and chunky.

So, there's a of overlap between the two in my own experience. Both bikes stand on the same spot in the middle, but the Bronson leans more toward the beefier all mountain/downhill, and the Solo leans the opposite way.

I am curious to see how much the tires come into play with any of this. The Ardents on the Bronson roll better, but the High Roller II's feel like they reach out and grab anything they can, which I like better for the tech/downhill stuff, but they have their cons as well.

Feel free to inquire about anything more specific, or that I didn't cover, and I'll answer as best I can.

Here are a couple pics from this evening's ride at South Mountain. It's hard to tell from the first image, but that route goes up quite a ways and wraps around a peak. It's quite steep, with some big steps and drops, and nothing but solid, burly/chunky rock. No way in hell you can pedal up it. Compared to the Bronson, I just had to take it a bit slower and be very particular. It got a bit sketchy a couple times. (The WTB Volt Race saddle SuCkS. Definitely going to keep the Crank Brothers Iodine 3 seat from here on out.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ive got a Blur TRc which i converted to 650 b about a year ago. The difference in wheel size is very subtle, as 650b, depending on tire is actual around 27.1 (vs. 26-26.5). This raises the axle about 13mm and the BB about 3/8". I likek the way the 650b coversion rides, though it is a little different with the shock shim, etc. That said, I believe that the Solo will perform even better. The improvement with the Solo is in the dedicated chassis, ie: longer wheelbase, correct BB height (lower is better) and importantly, the purpose built Fox 650b fork w/ 44 mm offset. All these things add up to a perfect 650 B bike. The 130 mm of travel is all that is needed with the bigger wheels. The Solo will prove to be the best 650b option of any bike out there at this time. Light too, only .2 lb weight increase for a stiffer frame over TRc. The TRc will remain in my stable as a 26er, as it rides great with stock wheels.

mtbr member
    So does the Solo have 125 mm or 130 mm of travel? Splitting hairs here, I know, but I have heard people throw out both numbers. Is is true Santa Cruz runs their frames on the small side?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    So does the Solo have 125 mm or 130 mm of travel? Splitting hairs here, I know, but I have heard people throw out both numbers. Is is true Santa Cruz runs their frames on the small side?
    130 mm in the fork and 125 in the shock. Santa Cruz recommends 120 mm to 140 mm for the fork with 130 mm being the sweet spot, which is what they are currently spec'ing it with.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Is is true Santa Cruz runs their frames on the small side?
    If you use the sizing chart on the Santa Cruz web site and you are between sizes, most people seem to be happier going with the larger size. I was between sizes, bought a medium Superlight 29, later on attended a demo and the demo crew said I should demo a large. After demo'ing a large Blur Tr and Bronson, I think a Santa Cruz size large is a better fit for me. I didn't demo a large Superlight 29, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison. For the record I am 5'10", with longish arms.

mtbr member

Solo rocks

I freaking love my Solo.

Been riding a Heckler for 4 years. The Solo destroys it on climbs & descends just as well.

Im 5"10 & went with a medium with a 70mm stem (33" inseam, so I needed the 420mm Reverb). Fits me like a speedo. No way I would want it any bigger. My Heckler is a large with a 50mm stem and the reach is almost identical.

XX1 & Enve upgrade. Stock tyres. Weighs in at 26.2lbs. Could easily get it to 24.5lbs with some lighter rubber but not fussed.

The ultimate trail bike IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo1.jpg  

Has anybody got their Solos yet?-solo2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndcarter79 View Post
    I freaking love my Solo.

Been riding a Heckler for 4 years. The Solo destroys it on climbs & descends just as well.

Im 5"10 & went with a medium with a 70mm stem (33" inseam, so I needed the 420mm Reverb). Fits me like a speedo. No way I would want it any bigger. My Heckler is a large with a 50mm stem and the reach is almost identical.

XX1 & Enve upgrade. Stock tyres. Weighs in at 26.2lbs. Could easily get it to 24.5lbs with some lighter rubber but not fussed.

The ultimate trail bike IMO.
    Nice air!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    If you use the sizing chart on the Santa Cruz web site and you are between sizes, most people seem to be happier going with the larger size. I was between sizes, bought a medium Superlight 29, later on attended a demo and the demo crew said I should demo a large. After demo'ing a large Blur Tr and Bronson, I think a Santa Cruz size large is a better fit for me. I didn't demo a large Superlight 29, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison. For the record I am 5'10", with longish arms.
    I test rode a large Bronson and it felt like my Med Stumpjumper. On the medium my feet were almost hitting the wheels and I felt really close to the bars, which makes descents a bit tough. Large felt great, even with a stock stem, and I am about 5'9. Shorter legs and longer arms.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3