mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Has the 36 TALAS now been changed? TNC?

I'm starting to see ads and other references with more and more regularity saying that the 36 TALAS now has 6.3 inches/160mm of travel (same as the VAN) and 3 travel settings (as opposed to 13 - 3mm "notches" with the old set-up). Lots were predicting this, but has the time now arrived? See for example:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2006_fro...t_125329.shtml
    http://www.khcycle.com.sg/pdt_fox_fork_36talas.htm

When my LBS ordered my Nomad, they swore to me that SC had told them that they were into a "new 2006 batch" of TALAS's and that they had just installed the last 2005. Things got a little twisted at this point when my LBS said that the new ones were black, just like the VAN's (knowing that I was gagging over the colour of the TALAS). I posted this here in haste (and with great excitement), only to learn that it was BS from the LBS. But now I'm wondering - was there some truth to all this? Will my Nomad arrive with a God awful brown coloured fork, but one with 160mm of travel and a 3-notch 90 degree TALAS adjustment? Maybe this is all BS too, but maybe not. Too many mags reported these two changes were coming.

So...is it BS? Or perhaps this is old news and I'm the last guy to know about it. Or perhaps I should just quit speculating about things I know nothing about.

Does anyone in the know have any word on this? TNC?

Super Genius gone noMAD
    Until there is no change on the Fox page I don't belive that the Talas has been changed.

They said it will be ready by dec. at Eurobike, then I got emailed from Fox that it will go in production around Feb., then news started coming out that its an 2007 product (august 2006).

So I bought a VAN 36

mtbr member

fox speak

Quote Originally Posted by SHooTEK
    Until there is no change on the Fox page I don't belive that the Talas has been changed.

They said it will be ready by dec. at Eurobike, then I got emailed from Fox that it will go in production around Feb., then news started coming out that its an 2007 product (august 2006).

So I bought a VAN 36

I was wanting the new one too but when I spoke to fox they said may would be the soonest but it could be june or July. So I went with the current 36 talas because I could not wait that long as my LBS had the nomad I wanted now. I am glad I did be cause the kit price increased with the fox fhx air shock. I saved $400.00 over what it would cost now. Woho!! Fox said they will have an 300.00 update kit to the 160mm, three click version. Heck for that price they can keep ther 10mm
    Last edited by daisycutter; 02-22-2006 at 05:05 AM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Just as Daisy and Shoot have mentioned, I've heard everything from summer '06 to sometime after the '06 Interbike which usually means early winter/late fall. Fox will probably play all of this very close to vest. For one thing, you know they have an inventory of current design Talas forks that will have to sell, and they have a ton of OEM supplied bike manufacturers with these forks already mounted on them that need to sell. It would be fairly imprudent of Fox to give a specific date of release that might affect sales and distribution of the current model Talas 36. Nothing evil or dishonest about it, just an obvious business issue.

That said, we had an '05 Enduro with the brown Talas 36 at our shop that one of the other employees bought. I thought the fork worked quite well, even though it exhibited a small bit of that "travel drop" mentioned often here. Actually for many riders who've yearned for putting a shorter fork on some of the longer travel bikes, I'd think this would be a minor issue, but I can certainly understand the desire to get a true 6" fork for the price of the Talas. There's just not much weight difference between the current Van 36 and Talas, so I'd get the Van unless you just absolutely require travel reduction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The 160mm black talas has been in the press for months and it is not available yet! surely they should not do press releases if they cant back it up at least in at least a couple of months. sounds crazy but the brown would put me off and i dont think i would want to wait. interesting point - has the new spesh enduro got brown talas 36's, or the kona coilair...