mtbr member

Hand Polished finish

Hi,

just wondering about the durability of this finish. Does it hide blemishes better than the ano finish? Does it go dull very quickly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I owned a Superlight with a polished swingarm. It can hide all sorts of scratches, simply because once they occur you can polish the frame and it's as good as new.
    On the other hand, if you wash your bike a lot it will look dull after a short while.
    If you are willing to put in the time & effort to polish your frame every once in a while, than the Polished is a good frame to have.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I have a '99 Bullit with a polished swinarm and an '03 with a full polished frame. When you take Mother's Mag Polish to the finish, it looks like new for a fairly good while unless you're frequently in muddy conditions. It polishes up without a lot of hard work when using Mother's.

mtbr member
    Hmm. I ride in muddy conditions and wash the bike every weekend.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I 2nd the Mother's Mag polish.

Too Much Fun

Good job! It all depends...

Quote Originally Posted by starsky
    just wondering about the durability of this finish. Does it hide blemishes better than the ano finish? Does it go dull very quickly?
    I'll chime in on this as I'm about to finally get riding on my polished Nomad... From my experiences with polished Al and from what I've heard and read, polished frames hold up really well and can be brought back to looking really "good" without too much fuss. The side benefit is that they do hide blemishes better then any paint or ano job ever could. The big caveat is that it can be hard getting it ALL the way back to a "brand new" shine, but it IS possible if you take the time and use a decent polish.

Part of this will depend on your own bike cleaning habits. Are you someone who cleans every ride or lets it go for a few rides? I'm someone who only cleans it when it REALLY needs it (drivetrain not included) and don't mind if the finish isn't showroom shiney. Its a mountain bike after all.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    pick up a some buffing wheels that attach to an electric drill. have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

It Shows some wear

My Heckler is polished and on the downtube underneath where the front wheel spits all the rocks and dirt it shows wear (think sandblasting) and no amount of polishing will fix it.I guess if you would sand the hell out of it then it would be better. But I don't mind that amount of wear because I figure that if it would be paint it would all be chipped and once it chips is like a rash with humidity, it will spread. Having said that I ride in a lot of water and mud and it is a lot of work to keep new look. What I do is I polish about once a month and it usually last about a week before it looks dull. Still I woudn't get bikes in anything but anodizing or polished. I haven't had any luck with either powdercoat or painted frames they both look like crap after 2 seasons of riding. My polish bike has wear but after a good polish it looks awesome, not brand new but pretty close.

All Mt, DH
    I have a polished Chameleon for about 6 months....
    Still looks Bling after being polished a few times.... I use MOTHERS ... its awesome stuff
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8