Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Super super awsome tadrscin and cosmoworks - modding at its finest - keep it up
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Ingenuity at its finest, fantastic job! Proof that it can be done, and done well, despite not having the tabs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have an intense 6.6. the vpp design wont let me use a modified iscg adapter plate like timight's. I think I need something like tadscin's heckler solution. but may I ask, is there any reason, other than being permantant, that I couldnt weld in iscg adapter on? does anyone think that would be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have an intense 6.6. the vpp design wont let me use a modified iscg adapter plate like timight's. I think I need something like tadscin's heckler solution. but may I ask, is there any reason, other than being permantant, that I couldnt weld in iscg adapter on? does anyone think that would be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    I've got ISCG tabs on my Nomad Mk2 so I'm never going to have to do any of this DIY stuff, but I wanted to say am super impressed at the ingenuity and craftsmanship of the work. You guys rock!....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    mlohgren:
    It wouldn't be annealed to reduce internal stress after welding. But that said, it might not be an issue with an ISCG adapter, since the stress would be localized to a small area around the BB, and I'm not sure if pedaling forces would present a problem.

But another option that might work... Your VPP bearing looks about the same angle as the Nomad's, so you might be able to get away without welding and just using a very long screw on the bottom ISCG mount bolt hole (the one closest to the rear tire). Then use tadrscin's long backplate bolt method with a machined down head (but use an even longer bolt). Then bolt on a nylon spacer/standoff to the back end of the long bolt so that the standoff makes contact with the VPP bearing area. You still have to face back the BB shell though on your 6.6.

Not sure I described that right.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I agree with this setup. Would like to see someone try it....

Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks
    mlohgren:
    It wouldn't be annealed to reduce internal stress after welding. But that said, it might not be an issue with an ISCG adapter, since the stress would be localized to a small area around the BB, and I'm not sure if pedaling forces would present a problem.

But another option that might work... Your VPP bearing looks about the same angle as the Nomad's, so you might be able to get away without welding and just using a very long screw on the bottom ISCG mount bolt hole (the one closest to the rear tire). Then use tadrscin's long backplate bolt method with a machined down head (but use an even longer bolt). Then bolt on a nylon spacer/standoff to the back end of the long bolt so that the standoff makes contact with the VPP bearing area. You still have to face back the BB shell though on your 6.6.

Not sure I described that right.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    alright, so who's gonna help me design a HS system for EBB's?
    so far the bolt and arm method looks easiest to do here at home, but I've got an old Mr. Dirt guide that has the iscg mounts on it, and lots of extra metal as it was a bashguard/guide type.
    so I figure I'll have enough material to mount the hs to the inside and mod a mount on the outside edge of things.

idea numero dos: lower rear bolthole of the 3 iscg looks like it would be in the main meat of the EBB itself, possible drill a single hole int eh ebb and mount the entire thing off that? yes it'll rotate a bit when the ebb itself changes angle when adjusted for chain tension, but seeing as how the chain gate of the HS is designed to cover a chain coming from the top of the cogs of an 11-34 cogset I'm sure there's a sweet spot that's vertically large enough to allow the entire HS to be rotated enough and still not rub the chain.
    think a single bolted down mount point would be strong enough?

those're the "easy" ideas... other suggestions?

frikking big-cojone kudos for the mod work being done here, sram should take note and work on an apapter of their own as it seems the HS market is there even among non-ISCG frame owners.
    Last edited by byknuts; 05-13-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts

frikking big-cojone kudos for the mod work being done here, sram should take note and work on an apapter of their own as it seems the HS market is there even among non-ISCG frame owners.
    I would agree. Sadly, liability and unique fitment requirements undoubtedly prohibit SRAM's interest in this. Doesn't mean I don't want them to try as I'm jonesing to mount a Hammer to my machine!

JeffcoHo
    Awesome work! Might just order me up an adapter plate to play with. Being winter and such I think its a great time to fiddle with the bike. I have a Slayer and I think I will try a brace similar to your Heckler.
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Is facing the bottom bracket mount really necessary? Shimano instructions call for a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the bottom bracket for frame with 73mm spacing anyways, couldn't the ISCG adapter take place of the 2.5mm spacer?

Thanks,

Ming

meow, meow.
    macming, it's because Hammerschmidt 68/73 mm BBs install without spacers on 73 mm BB shells. Also, they require very tight shell width tolerances.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi Cosmoworks,

I'm inspired with your cool ideas that makes me decide to put hammerschmidt into my frame.
    is this ISCG adapter can be done in my ellsworth Epiphany sst 1 frame?
    I opt to put a clamp in my seat tube near BB shell then attach it to the adapter maybe by weld or bolt.
    what if I dont need to shave off that 73mm BB shell, that 2.5mm thickness from adapter will give so much issue with my chainline and wouldn't cuase any issue installing the 73mm BB? this is my main concern.
    I plan to install my rear mech to 11-34 9-speed. any advice?

thank you in advance..

regards
    Pal

meow, meow.
    palpalaboy,
    if you leave BB shell at 73 mm and place anything else (thicker than about 0.3 mm) on the side of that, then HS crank arms will not install on the BB axle correctly.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    palpalaboy,
    if you leave BB shell at 73 mm and place anything else (thicker than about 0.3 mm) on the side of that, then HS crank arms will not install on the BB axle correctly.
    JRP,

thanks for the quick reply, any suggestion? should I opt to 83mm BB? then put 5mm pacer in the left side then 2.5 extra in the drive side.
    any pros & cons for this option?

meow, meow.
    Well.. I see 2 issues with that.

First, 5 mm spacer is going to leave few threads on the cup to engage against BB shell. I'm not sure if this is viable, although dirty hacks like using Red Loctite may help.

Second, HS on the 83 mm BB will have 56 mm chainline, which is going to seriously mess up your cassette setup (too much cross-chaining in low gears). You may want to consider going to narrow-cassette-bodied hub like Hope Pro 2 Trials, Hadley SS and the like. With those hubs, you can still run 6 or 7 cogs, and have very good chainline against a 56 mm crankset. And have a stronger rear wheel as a bonus.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Well.. I see 2 issues with that.

First, 5 mm spacer is going to leave few threads on the cup to engage against BB shell. I'm not sure if this is viable, although dirty hacks like using Red Loctite may help.

Second, HS on the 83 mm BB will have 56 mm chainline, which is going to seriously mess up your cassette setup (too much cross-chaining in low gears). You may want to consider going to narrow-cassette-bodied hub like Hope Pro 2 Trials, Hadley SS and the like. With those hubs, you can still run 6 or 7 cogs, and have very good chainline against a 56 mm crankset. And have a stronger rear wheel as a bonus.
    Hi JRP,

Thanks again I will think it over & may consider all of your suggestions and bare the consequences damn that truvativ they make our lives so difficult. they should design the HS for non ISCG frame as well and simple as just mount it into BB shell. hahaha

maybe I will just shave it off the bb shell to fit for 73mm BB then align the adapter properly according to the standard ISCG specification then weld it.

Thanks again for the inputs
    regards

meow, meow.
    I have not thought of it yesterday, but there's a third issue about 83 mm HS setup, too big Q-factor. That is, cranks spaced too far apart. And HS cranks are shaped so that they tend to get in the way of your ankle bones even with 73 mm setup. Especially the bash guard (however, there seems to be an -- expensive -- cure for that, called a Nicolai Hammerschmidt Pimp Kit).

As for mounting planetary gearbox cranksets on BB shell without ISCG tabs, an alternative solution is offered with Schlumpf Innovations cranksets. It requires machining a certain bevel into drive side of the shell. The cutting bits to do that, however, are proprietary.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi all,i have felt redemption and set of hammerschmidt,now how to install properly?.Felt distribution selling felt bikes with hammerschmidt but i cannot find the information about this,there on the frame is only one bolt so do need i adapts to instal this hs?
    Let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3