Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good Nomad Rims?

Well I was going to buy the new XT 776 set but it looks like none of the distributors have them because they can only be got OEM or Directly through Shimano.

Ive been looking at the DT Swiss EX series, I think its the 2200 and the 1850. I need to have a 20mm front axel and normal QR rear.

Any one have any suggestions? I have ~500 or so to play with! Im really looking to go with pretty light and strong, I liked the XT's because they were around 2000 grams for the pair.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've put some DEEMAX'S on mine theyre not light but they are really strong and you can get a QR rear axle for them aswell i have one on mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have one of the silver deemax's on the front right now, im trying to get lighter

banned
    I got some Hope pro 2 hubs built with EX5.1d rims and supercomp spokes for around $500.
    1850 grams and pretty strong. Haven't had to true them yet after 1 year of riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Edit. I took this picture before I put the 20mm conversion kit on.

mtbr member
    For $500 budget; I would suggest Hope Pro2 with Halo Freedom rim combo. This combo is at 2010g which is close to what you wanted. Laced this up with DT Champ spokes and you'll have a kick @ss wheels which is good for aggressive trail riding and FR. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool I'll definitly look into building some up.

Do you guys know anything about the DT Swiss EX2200 or EX1750? The look pretty solid but I cant find many reviews about them. I like the EX2200 mostly just because I dont really want White Rims

mtbr member
    Any burley UST hoop recomondations for 2.5 rubber?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    the EX1750 are 5.1d, 240s and aerolite spokes, very good wheels but pricey, you can build a very similar version but a lot cheaper with hope hubs and supercomp spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Id love to get the EX1750's but they dont come in QR rears hubs just 10mm.

Building my own would be great except I dont have any rim building experience and my local shop dosnt carry those types of spokes(its a pretty small shop). So I would have to get them built by the distributor which is an extra $40 per wheel. Plus I can get all of the wheelsets at a killer prince.

Wheelsets Ive found so far that I can get through the shop are

WTB Laserdisc Trail
    DT Swiss E2200
    Sun Ringle Chargers

Also the rear wheel on my Nomad now is a DT 5.1 w/340 hub. Not sure on the spokes. My front is a Silver DeeMax and thats what I really want to eliminate, namely want a nice and strong wheelset for trail riding thats pretty light. I jump the bike but nothing too serial, when I want to go out and fly I take my Spesh Demo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icacti
    Any burley UST hoop recomondations for 2.5 rubber?
    As suggested, Mavic is usually top UST choice. Go with whole wheelsets or buy UST rims and build your own set. I'd recommend Deemax wheelset or EX823 rims for cutom builds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    I think thats the RWS and is compatible with normal dropouts

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm sorry but whats RWS? I just know that acronym as a compnay that makes good pellet rifles, and I doubt thats what your refering too

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the 'quick release' rear hubs serve no purpose anymore. you understand that conventional dropouts are 10 mm, right? so you can either use a QR rear hub or a hub set up for a 10 mm thru axle. 10 mm thru axle is much stiffer.

then you have 2 choices: use a 10 mm thru axle with allen key on one end -- eg. the Hadley 10 mm thru axle, which has a keyed nut on the other end so you can quickly install or remove the rear wheel w/ just one mini tool.

the 2nd choice is to use the DT RWS ratchet skewers. no tool needed with those.

even though there are now many hubs (front and rear) that can be configured to be compatible with 10 mm thru axles, i've noticed that most bike shops are still deeply clueless about this and therefore don't educate their customers about this option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I guess I didnt realize that, for some reason I thought that 10mm through axle was something new and it wasn't a standard QR. Is there something that has come along in the last few years for rear axles like a 12mm or a 15mm that I might be getting confused with?

So I guess the EX1750 would work just fine then.

Anyone have any other reqomendations or experiences with any of these wheelsets??

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think I was getting the 10mm thru confused with the 12mm thru axle. The EX1750's have a 12mm thru rear

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod

Building my own would be great except I dont have any rim building experience and my local shop dosnt carry those types of spokes(its a pretty small shop). So I would have to get them built by the distributor which is an extra $40 per wheel. Plus I can get all of the wheelsets at a killer prince.

Wheelsets Ive found so far that I can get through the shop are

WTB Laserdisc Trail
    DT Swiss E2200
    Sun Ringle Chargers

Also the rear wheel on my Nomad now is a DT 5.1 w/340 hub. Not sure on the spokes. My front is a Silver DeeMax and thats what I really want to eliminate, namely want a nice and strong wheelset for trail riding thats pretty light. I jump the bike but nothing too serial, when I want to go out and fly I take my Spesh Demo!

Price Point has the Chargers on sale for 259.98.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/176...c-Wheelset.htm

You could also call Chad at Red Barn Bicycles and he'll give you a quote on a build. There is no charge for the build if you get everything from them.
    http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/

I'm getting a set built right now (Hope Pro II's and Mavic EN321's). Great experience so far. I read a lot of good things here on the forums about the shop. Happy Hunting

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I pulled the trigger and got the DT E 2200 rims, the red will look sick with the slate ano and I read some reviews over on pikebike that said they were pretty solid! I'm stoked about it

KEEP ROLLING
    hope pro 2 and some spank subrosa they have held up fine easy to get tires off them, also run a low psi 30 to 35 have had no snake bites or tire burps. get them if you can you will be happy. they are pretty light as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice man the bike looks good! Do you know what its weighing in at?

KEEP ROLLING
    33.7 lbs i have swapped the dhx air with and RP23.

mtbr member
    I'll put my vote in for Mavic EX721's, I made the switch from DT EX 5.1's after going through rear hoops on a 3 to 4 month basis. The dents and cracks just got out of control, so far after about 3 months now the 721's are still dent free and stronger than ever. The weight penatly over the DT's was very minimal and for me the peace of mind and not having to constantly rebuild my rear wheel is well worth it.

My hub choice was Hadely and I went with DT Comp spokes with DT Pro-Lock nipples - all of which has been rock solid.

KEEP ROLLING
    what type of riding do you do ridge rider ? sounds like those rims take a serious beating

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well if I end up beating though this set which I doubt I will, I would end up getting some Hope 2's laced to one of the mavic hoops. I doubt i will beat these rims hard enough to crack them, I just need a decent rim that can withstand the east coast rocks and roots which always seem to wack my rims out of true every year. Hell it did it to my deemax eariler this season

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by congarong
    what type of riding do you do ridge rider ? sounds like those rims take a serious beating
    I live in New England and the trails I ride on a regular basis are riddled with rocks and roots. We don't have a lot of elavation, so there are no 2 plus hour climbs, just short, steep nasty ones. It's a lot of up and down, but neither lasts very long. The best way to describe the trails is technical, so they tend to hard on equipment - wheels especially.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast