Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006

Good Nomad Chain Guide?

Hey I was wondering what you guys use for a chain guide for the nomad. I know its not ISCG so I was wondering if there were some good ones and bad ones to get. I've read some good reviews and presonally use the Gamut on my DH bike but I already have a bashgaurd on my Nomad, so I'm trying to avoid buying a chain guide system that has a bashgaurd.

Little info:
    Cranks are Truvativ Stylo and I've taken the big ring and the granny ring off and running a 1x9 with a 32T or 34T ring. I converted it last week and where I ride the chain jumps off constantly so its starting to get annoying. I just need to get off my lazy but and order one up and install it!!

Knolliac
    blackspire stinger. cheap, $25, and just plain works. i use mine in a 2X9 set up (with a 22/34) and a race face bash guard. very light set up.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    how tough is the setup on it?

Knolliac
    it's very easy. remove the bearing cup and replace the one spacer that is there with the stinger. replace the bearing cup. you will have to spend a few minutes on getting set in the correct place but not hard to do.

mine is set up on xt cranks and enduro ceramic bottom bracket cups. i have heard about some set up issues with race face cranks, but not sure about truvativ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Gamut. CHeck em out
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    If you want good quality guide; check out Wicked racin. This is what I use for my Nomad and its been flawless. I recently bought the stinger on my Chameleon and it works but the quality is not as good as the wicked racin. The roller is pretty loud and the shifting is not as smooth. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2769

there you go, dont have to buy another bash
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Knolliac

The roller is pretty loud and the shifting is not as smooth.

true, but replace it with an mrp roller and you have near silence and smooth shifts.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Ok so I need to pull the trigger ASAP on a chain guide. I rode today for 2.5 hours and my chain fell off ~25 times. Im really considering a chainguide that has rollers on the top and bottom. Basically if I stop pedaling the chain is falling off, and last night I took another 3 links out to reduce the excess slack in the chain. When the chain falls off it always falls off on the inside and sits on the bottom bracket.

At one point I remember seeing a crankset with a single chain ring and it was almost inside of a chain guide, like it had 2 bash guards on it and the chain sat in the middle. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Black spire also makes a sandwich plate that goes great with a stinger. Stingers will not work with a truvative cranks at all if I remember correctly. It has to do with truvatives outdboard bb width. another vote for a stinger, it works great with xt's and raceface cranks
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Do you know of any that will work with Truvativ BB's? At this point I dont really care if it comes with a bash gaurd or not. I might end up looking into the Gamut ones, I'd also like to find something thats pretty easy to install

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Alright i got a decent price match on the Gamut P20. Do you think that its a little overkill to use a bommerang chainguide, as opposed to just a single tensioner? I also think I might buy a single chain ring that dosnt have any pins of guides on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Using a Gamut G25 on mine. It was actually surprisingly easy to set up, and has kept the chain on so far.

The roller is making a small amount of annoying sound.. It's also so "slippery" that the chain has a tendency to just slip by it without actually keeping it spinning when it's wet&muddy. I suppose a rubber unit would give me both more friction to keep it spinning and less noise.

mtbr member

E-13 Drs

I just put one on after a couple trips to the local dh park, I was concerned that my "one" bike would be comprimised but its quiet and I don't even notice its there with the exception that my chain isn't falling off a couple times a run.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    ^^hey, bikers helping bikers out...that's the way it should be....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I Just went thru this with my Truvativ Stylo cranks. Unless your nomad has tabs, it wont work right. The bb mount guides are designed to replace the drive side spacer, but Truvativ does not use them. If you try, you will be adding about 2.5 mm to your drive side which will screw up your chainline and your shifting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had a lot of issues with Truvativ Stylo cranks w/ Outboard bearings. When you use the Blackspire, the chainring bolts will gouge the Stinger plate. I called Truvativ and they confirmed the cranks won't work with chain guides. However, I've heard some users on here got it to work, dunno how though. My wife's setup was 2 x 9. On my Nomad, I have XT cranks with a Blackspire Stinger, no problems, works pretty good.

However, anytime I take a big jump or land hard on something, the roller plate would shift and move up forcing the chain into the chainstay. This only happens when I'm DH'ing. No matter how tight I got the BB bearing cups on, it would still move. I finally gave up and just bought a frame saver plate to keep the chain from falling off. I have a 2 x 9 set up also. I'd recommend going with something else, though if you don't jump a lot and only use your Nomad for AM riding, the Blackspire is hard to beat.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Well I ended up getting a Gamut P20 and it should be here tomorrow. So I will get it setup and see how it runs. If its crap then I'll probably go with a set of raceface cranks or Ill swap a set of crank off a different bike!