mtbr member

Good for jumps in Miggy woods.

I have no idea where Miggy woods are, but it is entirely possible there are or were jumps there. While I used to read MBUK, and I used to enjoy MTB Pro/MTB World, I never would have imagined that I would own one of the bikes featured in those pages. Meet the newest addition to the stable, the Santacruz Tazmon.

The bike was owned by Paul Smith, who at the time was a contributing mechanic at MBUK/MTBWorld, and the bike was pictured in quite a few editions of the mags, bike and rider was also on the cover in June '97:-

The bike comes to me on the proviso that I don't sell it, and that I take care of it. It was given to me by a friend who is a journalist, who used to work in the same offices as the MBUK/MTBWorld team. When I first saw pics of the bike, I had a suspicion of its history, this was confirmed when I received the bike. After all, how many SC Tazmon were there in this colour scheme......

If anyone has scans, or any info on this bike, please share it here.

The plan is to strip and rebuild the bike, try my best to keep the original paint and decals and lightly use the bike again. Fear of breaking the frame will stop me from using it in anger, but I do intend to have fun with it. The frame is very flexible compared to modern designs, and the forks are dire. I intend to swap the forks out for some Bomber z1's I have handy.

mtbr member
    no bites on this eh? guess it old and boring.....

found some more pics, from mbuk in '97.

i was going to change the forks out as i thought they were wrong, turns out they are the right ones all along.

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Miggy woods are in South Leeds

lurker
    Apr 2009
    Cool found this thread looking for info on tazmon's miggy woods is indeed in south leeds recognised pauls bike straight away went riding with him there he was a cracking rider i had/still have a blue tazmon with z1 bombers on in the loft.

mtbr member
    Thread resurrection time....

We had a great summer. We rode two or three times a week, I mostly used the Foes, we really clicked. On the rare occasion that I didn't want to take the ride quite so seriously tho I took the Tazmon. The bike works really well, the only holdback is the lack of braking power, as we all got used to the instant and constant power of disc brakes, the vee brakes seem awful.

Good memories. Still, considering the bike is more than fifteen years old, the performance is admirable.

The bike was stripped down a few weeks ago, no dramas there. I decided that I would clean and service a few parts each week, this way it wouldn't take up any time, and it has been quite enjoyable. I am determined not to replace anything i don't have to, trying to keep her as original as possible. Obviously consumables like cables will be replaced...

The frame was the first part to see some attention. I dont want to lose the bikes identity, so the paint stays, I have simply cleaned and polished the frame, the bearings were replaced along with any rusty bolts.

This weekend I serviced the forks, again no real problems. The stanchions are a little rusty underneath the frame bumpers, but this really doesn't matter. The elastomer springs are all present and correct, and the damping pistons both work perfectly, so simply a case of cleaning, greasing and reassembling. The headset crown race is a little pitted, but I don't think it warrants replacing.

Next up is cleaning the wheels, then I can reassemble into a rolling chassis, much easier to store the bike this way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome rebuild. Well done and good on you for taking the time and care for a oldie. The polished link makes it stand out.

I've just stolen a couple of these pictures and set them to the rep asking him if SC are bringing out a 650B Tazmon

Props

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice, just need to go home so i can see the images! I remember the name 'Miggy Woods' from MBUK/MTB Pro too.

mtbr member
    Cheers guys.

I have been cleaning a few pieces as and when I have time, and I managed to get the bike on its wheels this weekend.

The control levers were cleaned and serviced today, the rapid fire lever mechanisms still look brand new inside. A testament to the quality of shimano in the mid 90's.

I could have gone to town with restoration, especially on the brake levers, but I want to keep it as original as possible.

The cassette is a bit of a weird one, it looks like the 11tooth has been deleted and a 13tooth added between 14 and 12. It doesn't look like a HG item tho, more like a bmx part as the teeth are very tall. Before, during, and after cleaning. Its worn, but not worn out.

Please excuse the finger-tight bolts, I need to source some replacements.

And until the next instalment:-

mtbr member extraordinair
    Nice find!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Old school.....indeed, wouldn't be where we are w/o these initial foray's into the unknown. Nice work.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I have the Yellow Judy's with Risse internals somewhere in my workshop. If I find them one day I'll drop you a message. Quite how that thing still has a headtube though I've no idea. I beat the living hell out of it ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5miffy View Post
    I have the Yellow Judy's with Risse internals somewhere in my workshop. If I find them one day I'll drop you a message. Quite how that thing still has a headtube though I've no idea. I beat the living hell out of it ;-)
    Awesome. The X-lite bars I did have, but they were quite badly bent. They looked like they had been driven over.... I was going to get a pair of Raceface bars I have powder coated yellow, I like the shape of them.

Out of interest, why did you change from the Judy's to the Rst's, I would assume the Judy was a superior platform?

mtbr member
    They were pulled off to go onto a prototype that went on to become the Chameleon. The RST forks were in for test, so they were stuck on it, tested, and then I gave the Tazmon to Gary Inman. The Heckler was coming along (still prototype) and I went through a hardtail period anyway (I've since recovered fully). I would sorely love another Faith Gauntlet. Even to this day, that was one of those bikes that just had something about it. The way it rode, the feeling it gave you, you know... One of those bikes with that certain special something in terms of ride feeling. Like an early Kona Explosif, it just had something other bikes didn't have, and a lot of bikes today still don't have.

mtbr member
    I know exactly what you mean. I have the same feeling and fond memories with my Cove Stiffee/Tightee, but I kept the frame, the whole bike infact, its in the loft I stopped riding that as the crank arms were starting to crack, and time had been called on vee brakes.

I'm interested to know how you came across this thread, one of thousands of random threads, on a U.S. forum?

mtbr member
    I got an email from someone connected with SantaCruz. Which basically said: "You're bike seems to be still alive, go ask him how".

mtbr member
    :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I love that Smiffy actually turns up on this! Brilliant:-) I remember that issue of MTB World.