mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good or bad time to purchase a Santa Cruz ?

Looking @ purchasing a SC VP Free. Went into a local SC dealer and inquired about Powdercoats vs. Ano's. I was told Santa Cruz was in the process of changing some of their frame buildng locations...or somthing to that extent and that it might take a little longer. I asked " Are they too busy, maybe I should wait until they are settled in " He said it shoudn't be a problem and they stand behind their products. Should I be concerned ? Thanx

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Recently i read an interview with rob roskopp, founder of sc bikes - he mentioned that the hardtails and single pivot frames (heckler, superlight) are built taiwan - the VPP frames (blur, VPFree) are still built in the states.

This has been happening for a while and im not aware of any plans to change this.

SC bike are superb and they stand behind their product - unfortunately they are slow to fill some orders...

I reckon anyone who has owned a SC bike will encourage you to go ahead and buy one.

Whoaohohohoh
    I think a lot of people don't realize is that Santa Cruz is a popular company and that they paint all there frames in one factory, and put all the stickers on in one factory and assembly all there bikes in one factory and ship all there bikes out of one factory. They have a lot of work to do and not everyone there moves at the same speed so things might take longer......but regardless you should order your bike because they are some of the best bikes out there.

I do wonder though if they have some sort of quota that they do each month and thats it, so that people are forced to wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've checked on the country of make as well. And I have been informed that vendors are used by Santa Cruz (makes sense economically) for the tubing and welding production. The inspection, finishing and assembly of the frame is performed in Santa Cruz.

The Blur series, Bullit, Nomad, VP-Free and V10 frames are still made in USA. The present Chameleon, Heckler, Jackal, Juliana and Superlight frames are made in Taiwan. The powdercoating, assembly and inspection are done in Santa Cruz. For the SL, the country of manufacture shifted to Taiwan only last year.

I just recently (2 days back) bought myself a medium ano slate SL, I reckon I bought the last available "made in USA" medium SL in Singapore. Gonna set it up soon, go get it. You won't be disappointed with the excellent quality and service of the Santa Cruz team!

TNC
    noMAD man
    That's an easy answer, keen.

Good time to buy...when SC has the bike in stock.

Bad time to buy...when SC doesn't have the bike in stock.

Redwood Dancer

Off-shoring

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Looking @ purchasing a SC VP Free. Went into a local SC dealer and inquired about Powdercoats vs. Ano's. I was told Santa Cruz was in the process of changing some of their frame buildng locations...or somthing to that extent and that it might take a little longer. I asked " Are they too busy, maybe I should wait until they are settled in " He said it shoudn't be a problem and they stand behind their products. Should I be concerned ? Thanx
    What I hear living in Santa Cruz is that because they are overwhelmed with orders for the Nomads (which are fabricated in a factory in Washington state) they've 'off-shored' more and more of their bike models... stay tuned.

********* Postnote*********
    Ah, ha... just saw it:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...84931#poststop
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

ICORR - FORC
    Like benzology suggested, I have a Bullit and a Superlight and would encourage you to go ahead and buy one. Even if they are slow at times (true, it happens), it's worth the wait. Heck, I'm ready for another one myself, what am I waiting for?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is not a time frame issue more of a quality issue. My LBS brung up what the other poster mentioned -

{QUOTE}What I hear living in Santa Cruz is that because they are overwhelmed with orders for the Nomads (which are fabricated in a factory in Washington state) they've 'off-shored' more and more of their bike models... stay tuned

Iwas talking with my LBS about the quality of their paint jobs when they mentioned SC was really busy. I asked them if I should worry about the quality and they would just say SC stand behind any defects.