mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Getting back int Mt. Biking..Help me spec a Nomad!

Hey everybody !!,
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Nomad...getting seriously back into Mt. Biking after 5 years away (back surgery, new company formation etc.). Grew up in Cali (over the hill from Santa Cruz)...started in Sting Rays in 60's (snapped goosenecks, cracked frames, motocross rear tire, 2 speed rear hub conversion), single speed "downhillers" in 70's (blown & overheated "coaster" hubs"....ouch that hot oil hurts when it sprays out the fill hole!, melted front brake pads around the rim).
    Got first Ross black & gold "MT. BIKE" (hard f & r) in '83 when I moved to Aspen, Co...bent that frame and tacoed rear wheel @ Negro Bill Canyon (Slickrock) and rode actively in Co. & Utah until about 5 years ago. It had an original "Hite Rite" seat post adjuster, cantilever brakes..nobody wore gloves or helmets!. Rode the Pearl Pass Challenge (to Crested Butte) in '85.
    Motocross background and fairly aggresive @ 49 yrs old. 6'3", 215, 36" inseam, long arms. Comfortable on XL demo bikes @ 4 fters..would go 6ft. drops with a new bike (and some practice!).
    Live at base of ski mountain (Snowmass) , ride singletrack, rocky stuff, nothing too long...average 10 -15 mile loops..Moab & Fruita from time to time. Gotta do a lot of climbing (long, rough steep climbs) to get to the good stuff (8-13K ft.). Freinds have been on Santa Cruz bikes for years (VP Free, Bullit, Heckler, Blur). Liked the Heckler the best..more comfortable in "motorcross" stace, but bikes were awfully heavy for long rides. Was ready to purchase Turner 6 Pack last year, until the Nomad came out. Dig the retro style, Santa Cruz rep and need that "one" bike for all conditions. Consider myself light freeride/ trailrider with some long trips planned. Last bike was a 1998 vintage K2 5000 Carbon (hard 4" f & r). Rented a Ellsworth Moment last Spring in Moab (only XL availible in Moab area). Was amazed at how well the new shocks work..don't remember what the bike had on it.
    Soooooo.......
    I'm going to order a XL Nomad and need help specing it out. To be honest, I only know the basics of the new shocks and drivetrains. How about helping me spec the bike for all around use..trying to keep it in the 32 -34 lb range (if possible)? I launched a new company 2 weeks ago and am slammed. I'd like to get a bike put together (or purchased from Denver BS, LBS or E-Bay) for a spring Moab trip.
    I realise I might be looking for an in-stock bike, frame or one that pops up on the Internet. If this time frame is to quick..I'd probably rent again in Moab and try to be on line by June 1 Would luv to demo a Nomadin Moab, to get some seat time- will check on availibility.
    I know how subjective specing a bike is...but you guys are the "guru's" ...and now that the Nomad has been out awhile, there are some good new/slightly used deals out there. $$ is not the limiting factor, although I'm on a budget like the rest of you. I'm not a big "upgradeitis" guy..like to get a great package and hammer it. It sounds like the group has some favorite component choices and shock experiences. How about helping me spend some hard earned $$$ and let me get to riding again!!

Lord of the Chainrings

Good job! Nomad Build Recommendations

Frame: The ano slate or ano black colors are awesome!
    Go with the coils....Fox DHX-5 for the rear and a Fox Van R or RC2 up front. (Marzocchi 66RC, 2nd choice but heavier). 20mm axle
    Crankset: RaceFace Evolve, X-Type in Badass Black. (integrated bottom bracket).
    Wheelset: Azonic Outlaw
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: WTB Rocket
    Shifters: SRAM S-7 9-speed
    Derailleurs: SRAM S-7 rear, Shimano Hone front
    Brakes: Hayes Nine hydraulic with the new 7" rotors
    Bars/stem: Easton Monkey Bars, Easton Vice
    Cassette: 11/34; Shimano or SRAM
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2 or Chris King
    Chain: SRAM 971
    Grips: Oury Clamp-on
    Pedals: Shimano 646 or your choice
    Tires: Kenda Nevagal or Maxxis Mobster 2.35's (depends on the trails)

Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by Mudd; 03-13-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Dirt Displacer
    Mudd has a good list there.... So let me throw out my variation.
    Definitely go with a anodized finish, they're awesome.

Rear Shock: Fox DHX coil or Marzocchi Rocco coil (I have a DHX air on mine, but I prefer coils)
    Fork: Marzocchi All-Mountain or 66
    Derailleurs: Shimano LT/XT front, SRAM XO rear
    Cassette: SRAM 8 or 9 speed
    Cranks: Raceface or Truvativ
    Pedals: CrankBrothers Mallet, Candy, or Eggbeaters
    Bottom Bracket: Raceface or Truvativ Howitzer. ISIS rocks!
    Shifters: SRAM X9 or XO
    Cables: Shimano XT
    Brakes: Magura LouiseFR or Gustav with 7" rotors
    Stem: Easton or Raceface
    Bars: Easton
    Grips: your choice, but lock-on grips are the best.
    Seatpost: Syncros or Easton
    Saddle: Fizik or Azonic
    Wheels: Azonic Outlaw
    Tires: Continental Gravity or Schwalbe Big Betty

Of the above, I highly recommend Magura brakes.... The Avids on my wifes bike are super nice, but for pure braking power and silent operation, Magura is tops.

I know a lot of people aren't sure about 7-8 speed drivetrains, and it definitely limits your choice of shifters and cassettes, but I'm very happy with how my 8-speed setup works, even with SRAM X7 triggers. SRAM's 1.1 ratio derailleurs are super responsive and snappy.... plus I got my XO all gunked up the first trip out, and it shifted without complaint, whereas the XT derailleur on my other trailbike would've gotten seriously selective about when it actually shifted. I'd also suggest running full length cable housings.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

truth seeker
    If you end up buying a new bike, you will definitely save money by buying a complete bike with one of the Santa Cruz Nomad kits (you can check out the different kits and componentry on the Santa Cruz website) - rather than buying a frame and spec'ing it with your own selection of components.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    If you end up buying a new bike, you will definitely save money by buying a complete bike with one of the Santa Cruz Nomad kits (you can check out the different kits and componentry on the Santa Cruz website) - rather than buying a frame and spec'ing it with your own selection of components.
    Ya, but what fun is that? I'd rather build up my own bike spec'd the way I want it.
    There are many deals out there if you are patient!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My Nomad!

I'm building my custom Nomad and it should be done by next week. Horayy!!!
    I'll post some pics next weekend.

You'll definitely save some dough if you by a complete build, but since this is one of my dream bike I dont mind paying more to spec it the way i want it to be. I'm considering the DHX coil as my next upgrade. Here is my built:

Frame: Large Ano Slate Santa Cruz Nomad with DHX air
    Fork: Fox 36 Vanilla RC2
    Brakes Front: 203 Avid Juicy Carbon
    Rear: 180 Avid Juicy Carbon
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT 760A Top Swing
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Medium Cage
    Shifters: Sram XO Trigger Shifters
    Grips: LizardSkins with (RED) Lock Jaw Clamps
    * Hope Grip Doctor (BLACK)
    Handlebars: FSA XC-190 Cross Riser Bar (40mm Rise) OS
    Headset: Chris king (PINK)
    Stem: Thompson X4 70mm (BLACK)
    Cassettes: Shimano XTR
    Chains: Wipperman
    Cranks: Race Face Atlas (SILVER)
    Chain Guide: Gamut P20 BASHGUARD
    Seat Post: Thompson Masterpiece (BLACK)
    Clamp: Hope Quick Release Clamp (SILVER)
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Team
    Wheelset F: 32 Holes ChrisKing 20mm ThruAxle (PINK), Nipples(SILVER)
    Sapim CX-RAY Spokes (BLACK), Mavic 819 Rim (BLACK)
    R: 32 Holes Chris King ISO disc (PINK), Nipples (SILVER)
    Sapim CX-RAY Spokes (BLACK), Mavic 819 Rim (BLACK)

Tires Front: Maxxis High Roller SuperTacky ST42 Tubeless 2.35
    Rear: Maxxis High Roller SuperTacky ST42 Tubeless 2.35
    Skewers: Hope Steel Skewers (BLACK)

Super Genius gone noMAD
    heres my build

SC Nomad ano Slate XL
    Fox DHX Air 5.0
    Fox 36 VAN RC2
    DT EX 5.1 rims
    DT 440 hubs
    DT supercomp spokes
    Sram X.0 r.der
    Shimano XTR f.der
    Shimano XTR cranks
    Sram X.0 trig.
    Avid Juicy 7 Carbon 203/185
    Thompson Elite seatpost
    Thompson 4x 90mm stem
    Easton MonkeyLite XC OS
    Fizik Gobi Ti
    Maxxis Minion DH 2.35 42a single ply
    Crank Brothers Mallet M
    Chris King headset
    SRAM PG990 cassete
    Wippermann connex 9X1 chain
    Sunny side of the Alps!

mtbr member

Here is how x9 AM complete kit looks.

You can save $1000 with complete kit.
    Medium, Ano slate with DHX-A, Im 58. Love the bike (and Demo forest).
    Too bad Ive gotta go back to Japan very soon.

Wait time = 2 months-ish. Got her end of Jan.
    Came with slightly different spec from what SCB web site says. (I like what I got better, though.)
    Easton vise stem
    Easton monkey XC
    Mavic 321 rims

Currently running E13 DSR with XT cranks (replaced with Stylo).
    Attached Images Attached Images

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Im with mokuba - go the SC build kit and make changes you feel necessary - i went with the same kit as mokuba with a LBS that buys bikes with santa cruz build kits included - a good shop will let you pay the difference for the upgrades you need...

Ive made a few changes but in reality the bike was prime when i picked it up anyway. Also - go for hope brakes - they are **** hot once you get them set up - for a big guy like you good brakes on this bike are required - with your background you will find yourself hitting warp speed on this machine!!!

My rig is attached - i guess the most important point here is that you have chosen the most awesome ride available!!!

This bike rocks!!!!

Lord of the Chainrings

Dream Bike!

Go here: http://content.mtbr.com/DRMBike_4155crx.aspx

Everybody post their builds in this section so we can have a ton of Nomads posted: http://content.mtbr.com/DRM_0crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benzology72
    Im with mokuba - go the SC build kit and make changes you feel necessary - i went with the same kit as mokuba with a LBS that buys bikes with santa cruz build kits included - a good shop will let you pay the difference for the upgrades you need...

My rig is attached - i guess the most important point here is that you have chosen the most awesome ride available!!!
    I agree. I went for the build kit option to save a bit of money. Made a few changes on the way and will be switching to XT cranks with a chainguide soon. Other than that, it certainly does rock

heres my build

SC Nomad ano Slate L
    Fox DHX Air 5.0
    Fox 36 TALAS RC2
    Sun MTX Camo rims
    DT 340 hubs
    DT supercomp spokes
    Sram X.9 r.der
    Shimano XT f.der
    Truvativ Stylo cranks
    Sram X.9 trig.
    Avid Juicy 7
    Thompson Elite seatpost + Gravity Dropper Seatpost
    Thompson 4x 50mm stem
    Easton EA70 OS DH (Ordered, currently have Easton Ad Vice)
    Maxxis Minion / High Roller 2.5
    Crank Brothers 5050 Pedals
    Chris King headset
    SRAM PG980 cassete
    SRAM Chain
    WTB Pure Stealth Saddle

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Damn...they are beautiful!!...

Guys,
    Thanks for all the advise and build recomendations. I'm still getting up to speed on the individual component choices, but it sounds like the S.C. builds are are great starting point for me. I'm time challange right now, so a finished product allows me to get out and hammer it.

Thanks again
    Brian

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    I agree. I went for the build kit option to save a bit of money. Made a few changes on the way and will be switching to XT cranks with a chainguide soon. Other than that, it certainly does rock

heres my build

SC Nomad ano Slate L
    Fox DHX Air 5.0
    Fox 36 TALAS RC2
    Sun MTX Camo rims
    DT 340 hubs
    DT supercomp spokes
    Sram X.9 r.der
    Shimano XT f.der
    Truvativ Stylo cranks
    Sram X.9 trig.
    Avid Juicy 7
    Thompson Elite seatpost + Gravity Dropper Seatpost
    Thompson 4x 50mm stem
    Easton EA70 OS DH (Ordered, currently have Easton Ad Vice)
    Maxxis Minion / High Roller 2.5
    Crank Brothers 5050 Pedals
    Chris King headset
    SRAM PG980 cassete
    SRAM Chain
    WTB Pure Stealth Saddle
    Nice rig geeza!! those rims are sweet - How do you like the gravity dropper seatpost? Im interested in upgrading to one as I seem to constantly be lowering and raising my existing seatpost....

Do you experience noticeable flex?
    What is the weight penalty over a standard thomson??

I would appreciate any advise on this one....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benzology72
    Nice rig geeza!! those rims are sweet - How do you like the gravity dropper seatpost? Im interested in upgrading to one as I seem to constantly be lowering and raising my existing seatpost....

Do you experience noticeable flex?
    What is the weight penalty over a standard thomson??

I would appreciate any advise on this one....
    I love the GD seatpost. Like you I raised and lowered a fair bit and wanted maximum leg extension uphill and flat, but able to drop on technical sections.

i haven't been disapointed with the post. Really easy to raise or lower, even at speed. there is the faintest amount of flex but to be honest it so small that's it's hard to tell if it's my suspension or the post. You don't notice anything at all after your first ride.

As for weight, I have a Thompson as well that I use for pure Downhill runs where I keep the seat permanently lowered and riding both around I don't notice any difference. Hold buth in your hands and it's negligible which says good things about the GD. Also customer service is excellent. I over tightened the hadnlebar mount and snapped the plasitc clip. 4 days later I had two spares arrive in the post from US to Australia. Very happy.