mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Get a Solo and sell the TB or keep the TB and get a Bronson

Tossing up whether to get a Bronson or a Solo. Ideally I would like 1 "do everything" type bike

I currently have a Carbon Tallboy and love it, I do a bit of XC racing, there is a yearly 100km race I do (with lots of big climbs) and I use it for trail riding. I often find steep stuff sketches me out on the bike and I keep the bike away from doing drops and I struggle to get any decent pop off jumps with the bike. Otherwise for everything else its primo.

I have been thinking about getting an Alloy Bronson to ride that stuff that sketches me out on the Tallboy and as a general all round fun bike. The bike would have to be Alloy as I cant justify the cost of another Carbon bike - but I do love the way the Carbon feels on my Tallboy.

Then there is the Solo, do I sell my Carbon Tallboy and get a Carbon Solo as a "do everything" bike? Would I be just as fast on my a Solo as I am on my Tallboy (though I am sure it wont roll over stuff as nicely), but will I also feel more confident on steep stuff, faster on the downhills and be able to do all that fun stuff?

or is the Solo a too similar bike to the Tallboy in what it can handle and achieve?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Too funny... I just swapped out by Blur LT (650b conversion) for a new Bronson alloy, and I also have the Tallboy Carbon. I don't race, but for what I ride here in Colorado and Utah it's a perfect combination of two bikes. The "fun" trails that are more technical and shorter in duration, like 10-15 miles with 2-3k vert, get the Bronson. My TallboyC comes out for the longer, XC-type rides where I want to knock out 25+ miles on smooth, flowy trails.

I think it's a matter of preference and finances. If you can afford two bikes, then I say keep the TBc and get a Bronson. Personally I love having two bikes to choose from depending on what I want to ride that day. Last year I thought I wanted one do-it-all bike (thus the Blur LT conversion), but I quickly realized that I missed having an XC-oriented bike for some rides. The combination of the TBc and Bronson is perfect for me.

Oh, and I can also justify having two bikes by letting my wife ride one every once in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been debating this, but from the other end of the spectrum. I ride a nomad carbon and like it, but for longer or smoother trails I'd like a 29er or something more xc. Ultimately the one bike solution always involves a lot of compromise so I think I'm going to go with a TB and keep the nomad as well.

I'd vote for the AL bronson for the OP over the one bike carbon solo option.

mtbr member
    I own a TBc and a converted TRc 650b. I have demoed a Bronsonc and a Soloc.
    It is always nice to have more than 1 bike, but the Al Bronson is going to be much heavier than the TBc...
    Bronson is a very capable bike and can be ridden in bike parks as well. It climbs and pedals very nicely.
    But for me the weight is very important. I would probably end up picking the TBc more often...
    So in this scenerio, I would go with the carbon Solo, which can be build very light as a Xc/trail machine. It is noticeably more capable on downs than the TB, you will instantly feel the extra travel and the slacker angle. On the other side you might give up a bit on climbs. Not much, but still...
    If you could afford a light carbon Bronson and also keep the TB, I would say go for it.
    Well, the best would be to demo them all and decide for yourself

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ I definitely agree with Jazzanova regarding the weight of the Bronson alloy. I have mine set up with a 1x10 drivetrain (no FD, shifter, cable, extra rings) and it still comes in around 31 lbs with a dropper post because of the Float 34 fork and the beefy HR2 and Ardent EXO tires. Obviously much heavier than my TBc, but at the same time they're different bikes for different rides so I don't really care.

As long as you have different expectations for the different bikes, I think you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can you sell the Tall Boy C, get a Solo C and maybe a Highball carbon for your racing or just something totally different to ride? Even a SS might be fun to pair with the Solo.

I just think you'd get a lot more use out of the Solo and be able to tackle nearly everything with it. I think they are great all around bikes. You could even race it without too much negatives.

The Bronson alu is going to be a heavy bike... I tend to think that for more things you'll pick the Tallboy over it just because of that. Riding a 30# + bike up any kind of hill is not fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why not just get a new Heckler?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Two is better than one! Sounds like you really like the Tallboy, so keep it and get the Bronson Al or Heckler and don't worry about the weight. Itll still climb well enough, and you'll be stoked to get back on your TB when you need to go long and climb faster. I love having contrasting bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't want a Heckler I have had a couple single Pivot SC bikes before and I like VPP so much more. The weight on an Alloy Bronson shouldn't really be an issue, I have some high end lightweight kit to put on a frame so the bike would be a good weight anyways.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sell tallboy and get carbon solo. THAT is an awesome bike! One bike for everything!

I have an aluminum Bronson that started as a base R AM package but I've upgraded a lot of things. It weighs 31 flat with 3x10 (bash instead on the big ring) and NO dropper. I recently purchased a dropper but haven't installed it yet. The weight doesn't bother me too much. Once the new i9 torch hubs are more problem free I'll be getting a set of those to lighten her up a bit.

A riding buddy just picked up a carbon solo at the end of this past season and it is a sweet ripper!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    How much abuse can a carbon Solo handle?

mtbr member

Re: Get a Solo and sell the TB or keep the TB and get a Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    How much abuse can a carbon Solo handle?

A lot. It is just 0.2lbs lighter than a Bronson. SC knew some people were going to use it the same way as they would a Bronson.
    When choosing between the two, one should compare the geometry. These bikes are very similar and will cross each other intended realm with little difficulties.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 12-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Devil Mtn Expeditions
    I'm in a similar situation. I just picked up a carbon Bronson with the XO1 build last week for rides in Santa Cruz, Tahoe and Downieville. It's a rad bike.

I also have a carbon Tallboy. The idea right now is to keep both and race the TBc or use it for XC rides. I may even convert it to a "budget XO1." With that said, depending on how many XC races I enter, I could see myself selling the TBc

If you can justify two bikes, I would do it. If you can somehow swing a BronsonC and keep the TBc, that would be the perfect combo in my opinion. The combo I have today is the best I've ridden for the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So thought I would post an update to this thread. I have decided to get myself a carbon Bronson, picking the frame up today to build up myself. My partner has an Alloy 5010 so took that for a quick spin the other day, it felt like a little rocket ship! Once I have my Bronson built up I hope to write up a comparison of the Tallboy vs 5010 vs Bronson

mtbr member
    May 2005

Get a Solo and sell the TB or keep the TB and get a Bronson

edit: wise choice Vert1 ^

Keep the TB and get a Bronson....great combo.

I reckon that you might find the Bronson very much capable of all riding types especially if you have two wheelsets....AM/Trail and XC.

BTW, I have now minimized by bikes down to a HighballC and a BronsonC......covers all riding I want to do at this stage in my life.

mtbr member
    I was gonna suggest that if you were 6' or over, go big and get a TBLTc and sell the TB
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm keeping the Tallboy for XC racing, it's such a good bike for this and it's very fast.

That and the BronsonC and I think I'm sorted