Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Future for the TRc

With the Bronson and Solo just released what will happen to the TRc? I have to admit I'm curious but hesitant to go 650b but I LOVE my TRc. I'm concerned that it might get axed and with as many times as I have had it warrantied due to the circle crack this concerns me. What do I get as a warranty if the TRc gets axed? I've read that they will keep replacemt stock and I'm sure they will however at this pace I will require at least 5 warranties a year, roughly every 250 miles or 2 months for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ask for a solo if your trc gets warrantied again.

mtbr member
    How many TRcs have you gone through? I'm waiting for my first warranty replacement and do not look forward to it happening again...

I doubt SC will give you a solo when they'll have plenty of serviceable TRcs in stock. What if everyone who had to get theirs replaced started asking for Solos?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Sales numbers are going to decide the TRc fate and with the 650s popularity it doesn't look too good. What's even more odd is the choice to introduce the TRa this year and the time and resources that went into it. It seems to indicate that the recent release of 650s was not something sc was planning to do this quickly.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    How many TRcs have you gone through? I'm waiting for my first warranty replacement and do not look forward to it happening again...

I doubt SC will give you a solo when they'll have plenty of serviceable TRcs in stock. What if everyone who had to get theirs replaced started asking for Solos?
    I had a 2012 frame, warrantied with a 2013 frame (because they no longer had 2012 rear triangles) and now the 2013 rear triangle requires another warranty. I've been replacing roughly every 2-3 months, and it will continue that way until they update that pivot point to the co-molded version they have on the Bronson, Solo, TB2.

I've talked to my shop about it and have them retorque the bearings every 50 miles to see if that you stop it from cracking but it didn't. I love the bike and don't plan to switch but at some point I think it would be cheaper to warranty me a frame such as the Bronson or Solo as opposed to replacing the rear triangle every 2-3 months under warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    From the new build kit specs (RockShox Reverb Stealth) for complete TRCs I'd anticipate an update to the TRC. At least remote cable access, maybe the new frame protection, pivots, etc. I have a 2013 TRC, been riding it hard for 6+ months, a few battle scars but no radial crack yet.
    Last edited by rglsr; 06-18-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Right now on the site, they have the TR, Solo and Tallboy under the Trailbike section. Maybe it's naive, but wouldn't it make sense for them for the future to keep one bike of each wheelsize?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    Right now on the site, they have the TR, Solo and Tallboy under the Trailbike section. Maybe it's naive, but wouldn't it make sense for them for the future to keep one bike of each wheelsize?
    I think you just hit the nail on the head. It's the perfect trail bike offering.....one of each wheel size. I keep lusting after the TRc but never seem to pull the trigger......

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How come they don't just do the comolding thing on the TRc? Would it require a major redesign of the frame, or do they have a bunch of the old rear triangles that they want to get rid of? Seems like if it's a defective product, they should just fix it instead of making it part a new "TRc 2."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    From the new build kit specs (RockShox Reverb Stealth) for complete TRCs I'd anticipate an update to the TRC. At least remote cable access, maybe the new frame protection, pivots, etc. I have a 2013 TRC, been riding it hard for 6+ months, (even running a 150mm 34) a few battle scars but no radial crack yet.
    Hopefully that is true. But also the Nomad and the Chameleon now have the Stealth Reverb in the new kit. So either they are updating most of their bikes or it's a typo? We will find out soon i guess.

mtbr member
    I predict a 2014 revision for the TRc with the downtube protector and (hopefully) the updated lower pivot. I doubt they'll include ISCG mounts, and I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't include the Reverb routing either.

I think SC would be inclined to keep the TRc as more of a XC riders trail bike, the lack of ICSG and Reverb mounts will definitely make people consider the Solo more, which I think is in SC's interests as they (and the entire industry) want to get us to move to 27.5"

They definitely need to update the lower pivot construction as it is obviously a design failure
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I predict a 2014 revision for the TRc with the downtube protector and (hopefully) the updated lower pivot. I doubt they'll include ISCG mounts, and I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't include the Reverb routing either.

I think SC would be inclined to keep the TRc as more of a XC riders trail bike, the lack of ICSG and Reverb mounts will definitely make people consider the Solo more, which I think is in SC's interests as they (and the entire industry) want to get us to move to 27.5"

They definitely need to update the lower pivot construction as it is obviously a design failure
    That's exactly the problem: Everyone will pick the 650bs just because they are more modern, not because 27.5 is so much better.

I would love to get a TRc right now but the carbon lower linkage issue and the missing stealth routing option are reasons not to. If I have to pay that much money I prefer a modern frame.
    I would like to stick to SC but there are some other options to consider (Mojo, sb66c). I might wait a bit though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If they stop making TRC'S run 26'ers on a solo! I am sick of these 650 and 29'er bikes coming out due to marketing pressure. It seems like every time you turn around there is a new 650 and 29'er but nothing for people who like 26 inch bikes. My buddy was waiting on a revised nomad however since Specailized released the Enduro 29er, no doubt the revised nomad will be a 29'er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    If they stop making TRC'S run 26'ers on a solo! ...
    not the best idea for BB clearance

BB height will drop from 13,1" to 12,6" if you change 650b wheels (584mm rim diameter) to 26" (559mm rim diameter) on a Solo.
    radius diff. is 12,5mm or 0,5"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was being sarcastic since all of the people putting 650 on 26'er frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    With the Bronson and Solo just released what will happen to the TRc? I have to admit I'm curious but hesitant to go 650b but I LOVE my TRc. I'm concerned that it might get axed and with as many times as I have had it warrantied due to the circle crack this concerns me. What do I get as a warranty if the TRc gets axed? I've read that they will keep replacemt stock and I'm sure they will however at this pace I will require at least 5 warranties a year, roughly every 250 miles or 2 months for me.
    Have you tried calling SC and asking them this question?
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    I'm wondering about the same thing. My 2012 TRc is just starting to show the crack. One of my riding buddies who has the same frame(purchased at the same time during the VPLS sale) just got his warranty replacement.
    I'm kind of holding on to my bike for now to see how things play out. Wonder if they would let me swap to a Bronson or solo for a upgrade fee.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz replied to my email:

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz
    The pivots were improved greatly on the 2013 version, so very few people are having issues with the new ones.* The Bronson/Solo/TB2 go one step further with co-molded pivots, but that is not an option for the TRc at this point. I hope this helps, let me know if you need more.
    As much as I would like this reply to fill me with confidence regarding my incoming 2013 replacement frame, from what I've seen on these forms there doesn't seen to be any difference in the amount of people with 2013 frames who have had failures.

It's a shame that updating the TRc isn't an 'option', I would guess they're not willing to invest more money in a new mold for what is probably going to be an obsolete frame before long
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

b a n n e d
    I predict that the TRc is also on the chopping block . . . I recall a conversation I had when the TRc was announced with someone close to the inner circles that the TRc was purpose built for the syndicate riders on the dual slalom course - essentially a close approximation for the old 4X. If the Syndicate moves to the Solo (which I believe they have), the TRc's days are numbered (more than they already are).

This, coupled with the massive losses they've taken on warranty frames make it a no-brainer . . . . and the reply above pretty clearly implicates that they aren't updating the frame.

My prediction: TRc axed in 2014.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can someone point me at some documentation about the crack you are all talking about? Where should I be checking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Never mind - found it. Will be checking as soon as I get home...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Santa Cruz replied to my email:

As much as I would like this reply to fill me with confidence regarding my incoming 2013 replacement frame, from what I've seen on these forms there doesn't seen to be any difference in the amount of people with 2013 frames who have had failures.

It's a shame that updating the TRc isn't an 'option', I would guess they're not willing to invest more money in a new mold for what is probably going to be an obsolete frame before long
    I have had both frames and there is not a bit of difference between the 2 pivot points. Not sure what had been greatly improved but it's def not the lower pivot point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Have you tried calling SC and asking them this question?
    Nope. I figured it would be pointless, they aren't obligated to tell me about the expected updates and assumed they would not anyhow as tight lipped as they have been lately.

mtbr member
    I think the end of the BlurXC and BlurLT is a pretty strong omen as well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Syndicate riders will ride ride what ever they are told to ride. Cedric ( well not syndicate) was running the Tallboy LT for a while and then switched back to the TRC. The market pressure is on the 650 and 29er size wheels and Santa Cruz will do what they can to keep their market share while still making amazing bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast