mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Front fork recommends? needs vbrake mounts

Any front fork recommendations for a for a newly built up Blur XC? Right now it has a the circa 1999 Manitou fork from my old hard tail.

The SC has the 5th element rear shock. I weigh about 155lbs and am mostly interested in XC type riding. I'd rather climb than jump stuff.

Ideally I'm looking for a closeout/last years model type of shock. I can't see spending over $600 just for a front fork. And I'd like to stick with my current wheels and stick with my trusted vbrakes.

Can't wait to ride this bike. Thanks in advance!!

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfereeno
    Any front fork recommendations for a for a newly built up Blur XC? Right now it has a the circa 1999 Manitou fork from my old hard tail.

The SC has the 5th element rear shock. I weigh about 155lbs and am mostly interested in XC type riding. I'd rather climb than jump stuff.

Ideally I'm looking for a closeout/last years model type of shock. I can't see spending over $600 just for a front fork. And I'd like to stick with my current wheels and stick with my trusted vbrakes.

Do you have a new Blur XC or an older Blur Classic with brake bosses? All newer Blurs from about 04 on are disc specific, this means V-brakes will not be an option in the rear unless you have bosses welded on.

Village Dirtbag
    Yes. I always recommend putting the fork on the front.

Sorry- couldn't resist. I've seen a lot of Manitou Minutes for 1/2 price online lately. That should be a good deal. I've heard good things about the Reba as well.

Jus' Ridin' Along

Got a Minute

on my faithful Superlite. Same sitch, didn't want to give up my Avid Ultimates and King non-disc wheelset for what is now my "back-up" (the BLT is first choice for most rides save for smoother faster stuff). The original Psylo was toast, and the Minute's seemed to offer good features (RTWD is nice, plus the SPV) and had posts. And I like the way the reverse arch steers (I'm 215 with gear).

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    I have a Fox F100 RLT w/bosses on my '03 Blur Classic, got a sweet deal on it. I would never have paid full price for it though, too steep for me. I also have an '05 Minute that has performed well so far trouble free. There are alot of good deals on '05 forks and even some '06 forks right now. The '06 Rebas have brake bosses this year as well. Fortunately, you have a good number of options to suit your budget and needs. Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh-luth
    Do you have a new Blur XC or an older Blur Classic with brake bosses? All newer Blurs from about 04 on are disc specific, this means V-brakes will not be an option in the rear unless you have bosses welded on.
    I have the brake posts. So I guess it's pre 04.

mtbr member
    Manitou seems to have more models with bosses then anyone else anymore. It's getting harder and harder to find a quality fork with brake bosses now with the popularity of discs. If your looking to save money, the 05 Manitou Minute 1 is on clearence for $250 or so all over the net. I don't have any experience with it, so check the reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    Manitou seems to have more models with bosses then anyone else anymore.
    Any opinions on the Manitou Skareb Platinum? The reviews seem OK

banned
    Apr 2004

RLT 80 or 100

would work nicely.

mtbr member
    Any opinions on the Manitou Skareb Platinum? The reviews seem OK
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Skareb or know anybody riding it. It' doesn't seem as popular as a lot of others mentioned here, so that probably says something. I just looked up the Skareb and $700 is a little pricey for a 100mm fork.

What do you ride exactly, and how do you ride it?

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    If you are looking for a more XC/firmer ride, an 05 Minute 2 w/bosses would be a good option. They can currently be purchased for a reasonable price @$300 or less and seem to be somewhat reliable, no problems for me so far (1 year leak/trouble free). The IT function on the Minute 3 doesn't really interest me, but you might like it. The 05 Marzocchi Marathon SL is also available for $390 or less on closeout, also consider the Manitou Black series. Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Performance has the skareb platinum for $399. They have the R7 for 399 also. I can't really figure out the differences. The skareb has a lockout which isn't that important to me. Mainly I want something light, reliable, and requires minumum maintenance.

I pretty much just ride xcountry type stuff and don't bust on my bike that hard. I'm probably more into going up hills than going down them. I ride road bikes 80% of the time anyway since I live in a big city.

Thanks all