mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Front derailleur on a Nomad

Just wondering if a sram XGen front derailleur will work or if you have to use a shimano? In the process of ordering parts for my future frame and just noticed that there might be an issue with the rear triangle...

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyOrange
    Just wondering if a sram XGen front derailleur will work or if you have to use a shimano? In the process of ordering parts for my future frame and just noticed that there might be an issue with the rear triangle...

Thanks,
    Mike

Use Shimano the SCRAM front derailer is not yet a very good product. I would put at less them LX level

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    Use Shimano the SCRAM front derailer is not yet a very good product. I would put at less them LX level
    The X-gen has a way to go before it's competetive. SRAM really needs to introduce a XO level version. Get a XRT and call it good. I prefer SRAM XO line over XTR, but didn't really care for my X-gen front D.
    I'm building a Nomad now, so i can understand what you mean about clearance. My build is not complete, but I cycled the rear triangle throught it's travel path and it appears that the XTR will work just fine.

Good luck!

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Lord of the Chainrings

Good job! No place like Hone

I went with the Shimano Hone. I did a side-by-side comparison at the LBS with the SRAM, and the Hone was way beefier. Lower profile too...
    Cost was 1/2 the price of the SRAM at Performance. ($19.00)
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i decided to go with an XT derailleur... and cassette, the rest of the drivetrain will be X9, cause i'm waiting will next season to get the X9 with the adjustable perches and it's cheaper to replace the rear derailleur (pretty much the only thing i ever break)... $60 vs $160ish... hmm, 2.5:1 ratio

gonna build it up more heavy-duty all mountain and freeride-ish with coil sus front and rear.

Dirt Displacer
    I picked the X-Gen front for my Nomad.... as long as it works when I need it to, I'll be happy.... Mostly because the LX front on my other trailbike is pure garbage. Personally, I haven't had any luck with Shimano derailleurs, front or rear.
    Eventually I'll replace the X-Gen with something else, but for the time being, it'll be ok.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]