mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fox RP23 for Nomad - will this work?

I've currently got a RC4 for my Nomad mk2, and I'm looking for an air shock to use when riding more xc trails. I've been looking into the RP23 and there seem to be a number of different tune options available.

I've found one with the following specs, and I'm wondering what I will notice with a M rebound setting as I think the stock shock comes with a L? Will it still ride fine, or should I keep locking for a shock with a L rebound and velocity settings? If it matters, I'm about 205lbs all kitted up It will be on a Large Nomad. Thanks!

Boost Valve Tune 175
    Rebound Tune M
    Velocity Tune L
    High Volume

mtbr member
    The 175 BV is exactly what is specced on the Nomad so you are OK there. M rebound will be fine. L compression might be a bit light for your weight, especially if you are only going to be using the shock on XC trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great, thanks very much for that! With the L compression, does this mean there could be some pedal bob? Would I be able to tune this out with the shock adjustment or would it be noticeable enough to have to see it away to get re-tuned?

I thought I had read that the RP23 that comes on the Nomad has the L compression as stock, is this maybe not the case?

Thanks a lot again, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry too much about pedal bob. I just meant that at your weight you might be blowing thru the travel pretty easily. I found the shock doing that with the `L' compression tune, and then needed more air pressure to stop it from happening which in turn made the overall ride harsher.

legal alien
    Jun 2007
    You'll want to order the air volume reduction spacers, remove the stock spacer, and replace it with the .6" spacer. This is the OEM config for Santa Cruz Nomad CTDs and I think the RP23 before that.

I weigh about the same as you and also ride a nomad. I found that increasing the boost valve pressure (via your favorite suspension tuner) makes a big difference for the RP23: I ran 215 PSI with my Rp23 with a Low/Low tune. I sent my M/M/175 CTD (Fox aftermarket tune) to Push. Push does a nice job with the CTD: boost valve for better or worse is done away with, rebound damping improves tremendously; compression actually feels sufficient whereas in stock form it felt very under-damped to me. Incidentally, even with the Push tune, I still run the .6" volume reduction spacer per their recommendation.
    Last edited by Resident Alien; 06-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Slower But Faster
    As a relatively new Nomad owner (only four weeks in) would a best of both worlds option be to keep the RC4 and upgrade to a Ti spring? Would end up costing about the same or possibly even a bit less. I've always thought the RP23, while a good shock, a bit underspeced on a bike like a Nomad especially for the more generously proportioned rider.