Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Fox Float X or Cane Creek DBA CS on a Bronson

Waiting for my Bronson frame to arrive and thinking of swapping the shock from the off. I had a RP23 Kashima CTD on my old bike and was not that impressed with it. I am looking at the DBA CS and the Float X. I guess the DBA would be the best choice and it seems to get good reviews.

mtbr member
    The Float X is getting some good reviews as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The CC DBACS seems to be getting good reviews. Not heard much about the Float X.

Maybe also consider the RS Monarch Plus RC3?
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Santa Cruz doesn't seem to recommend Float X for Bronson:

-clip-
    "We actually don't plan on offering this frame with the Float X, we're sticking with our two CTD options. There are a few reasons for this, but the number one reason is we designed the bike with the Boost Valve shock in mind. There are a lot of tuning options with this shock, and it offers a completely different feel than the Float X. We weren't able to tune the Float X to feel as good as the CTD Adjust Boost Valve shock, so we won't offer it. Other helpful areas the CTD shock is better: lower weight, lower cost, water bottle compatibility. We're really happy with how the frame/shock tune combination turned out, and the feedback we've gotten from customers/journalists reinforces that. In certain situations the Float X does feel more sensitive to small bumps, but there's more to a suspension tune than small bumps. Our Boost Valve shock is much more supportive (less wallow), and gives the bike a much more responsive feel."
    -clip-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Good info - thanks for posting...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post

-clip-
    "We actually don't plan on offering this frame with the Float X, we're sticking with our two CTD options. There are a few reasons for this, but the number one reason is we designed the bike with the Boost Valve shock in mind. There are a lot of tuning options with this shock, and it offers a completely different feel than the Float X. We weren't able to tune the Float X to feel as good as the CTD Adjust Boost Valve shock, so we won't offer it. Other helpful areas the CTD shock is better: lower weight, lower cost, water bottle compatibility. We're really happy with how the frame/shock tune combination turned out, and the feedback we've gotten from customers/journalists reinforces that. In certain situations the Float X does feel more sensitive to small bumps, but there's more to a suspension tune than small bumps. Our Boost Valve shock is much more supportive (less wallow), and gives the bike a much more responsive feel."
    -clip-
    Well my CTD that came on the bronson bottoms out like nothing.. CCDBAIR CS ordered

mtbr member
    I posted this in the Carbon Nomad thread, I know you're looking for Bronson feedback, but thought it might be helpful:

"I've been on the FLOAT X for 2 months now and having come off of a CTD shock, I can definitely say it's a lot better than the CTD I had. But just before getting the FLOAT X my buddy let use his DB Air, what a big mistake... The DB Air felt amazing, so when I got the FLOAT X and rode it for the first time I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't nearly as plush as the DB Air and I felt (and still feel) the compression is on high side even in Descend mode.

But after 2 months on it, I've gotten use it and have grown to like the shock. Its much better than the old CTD I had, you can get way more small bump sensitivity out of it without blowing through you're travel and unlike my old CTD, I don't need to run it in trail mode to do so. The bottom out is much better and it feels a lot more linear through its travel vs the old CTD.

Bottom line I would say it's a great improvement over the old CTD shock for sure. But after riding the DB Air, I would honestly kick in the extra money for a DB Air if I had to do it again."

mtbr member
    How did you get better small bump sensitivity with a larger volume air can, both with Fox air shocks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm also considering a CTD X to replace my stock CTD-Kashima and the '14 Monarch RC3 Plus I installed but have not been able to source the correct damper kit for. If you can't get a low comp, low or med rebound Monarch RC3 Plus, I would skip it...all aftermarket '14 Monarch+RC3 ship with M/M which is too harsh for the bike and gives up all small sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I went with a Float X in the end. I spoke to a large UK suspension company and they said the Float X was a lovely shock and 9 times out of 10 they would go for that over any other option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    And how do you like it?

question:
    when you order a CTD X do you have the choice of velocity (comp) and rebound tune and boost pressure like you would on the normal ctd? Or are they all the same? If they're different where did you get the right tube set up? I was hoping to carry over the low reb/med comp 200 boost, 0.6" vol reducer to the ctd x
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I picked one up off a Giant Trance X I think it was. It was removed before it had been used and I saved a fortune on the UK price. I then sent it straight off to TF Tuned for a Push service so its setup for my weight and the Bronson. First ride will be tomorrow hopefully so I will report back then.

mtbr member
    The best is the DBAir CS XV, next Float X
    A comparative made in Italy MTB forum, between Monarch plus and the Float X
    Google Tradutor

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Its not that clear cut by any means IMHO.

Anyhow first ride out on the Float X. It feels very nice, its a improvement on the Float CTD K and after I have a few more miles on it I am sure it will break in beautifully.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I think many folks who make blanket statements like Surfas above, haven't actually ridden these shocks on this application.

If you can get someone at SC to really talk to you about suspension performance, they'll tell you they do NOT recommend anything other than the CTD shock. There's a reason there are no base tunes for the Bronson listed on Cane Creek's site.

In my experience running a DB Air back-to-back with the stock CTD Kash on a Bronson-C, the Fox performs 98% as well as the DBA at half the weight. The only place the Fox lacked was high-speed, multiple square-edge hit stuff.

Hopefully, the Avalanche tune I'm having done now will solve that issues.

I was out of pocket on both shocks and REALLY wanted the CCDB-A to work. For me, it didn't on this application.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I think many folks who make blanket statements like Surfas above, haven't actually ridden these shocks on this application.

If you can get someone at SC to really talk to you about suspension performance, they'll tell you they do NOT recommend anything other than the CTD shock. There's a reason there are no base tunes for the Bronson listed on Cane Creek's site.

In my experience running a DB Air back-to-back with the stock CTD Kash on a Bronson-C, the Fox performs 98% as well as the DBA at half the weight. The only place the Fox lacked was high-speed, multiple square-edge hit stuff.

I was out of pocket on both shocks and REALLY wanted the CCDB-A to work. For me, it didn't on this application.
    So you got the stock Fox CTD Avy tuned, or a Fox Float X? What did you find to be the issue with the CCDBA?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb721 View Post
    So you got the stock Fox CTD Avy tuned, or a Fox Float X? What did you find to be the issue with the CCDBA?
    I'm curious about this one also, I've got a monarch plus on mine now and have reduced the psi and reduced the volume to make it supple on the small stuff but ramp up later in the stroke, I'd like to try a low tune or a ccdba.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Do you find the traction is a large improvement with the Monarch+? Is it ~$500 worth while spending, in your opinion?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I'm really surprised to hear this given how much of a difference going to a CCDBA made on my Tallboy LTc relative to a Pushed Float.

mtbr member
    I personally think it's better than the float that came with it but takes a little tuning to get right, I'd consider going for a small volume can also but can't compare to the ccdba.

mtbr member
    Two things notes in the first 30 minutes, more mid stroke support and much better traction with the DB air.

mtbr member
    When do you get your shock back? curious to hear your impressions..
    which direction did you go for the SSD tune? standard or firm low speed..
    mine is another 2 weeks out..

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Still waiting for it to show up. They've got a pretty big backlog. I got the standard SSD tune if memory serves.

mtbr member
    To further what a couple people have already said above, last summer I asked both a senior Santa Cruz and senior Fox person last summer how the float X testing on the Bronson had gone, and they both said don't go float X, not worth it. I was surprised to say the least.

I do have a friend who loves and (shreds on) a Bronson with CCDB for what it's worth.
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

The CCDBA is fully adjustable. Low and high speed compression and rebound. Most times people complaining about this shock have not taken the time or do not understand how to properly adjust to their liking. How long have you had this shock? How many rides did you do to come to this conclusion? I've been told it can take months and numerous rides to get it dialed in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast